or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC - Page 66

post #976 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post
 

I've been using Jriver, about 5 days into my trial too. The clicking and popping still occurs, albeit not as frequently as when played through Foobar.

Bump for the old issue. I had gaps (faint clicks) between tracks when playing SACD ISO with both DA8 and AURALiC Vega, very minor but distracting nonetheless.

Just downloaded trial of JRiver and it's gapless smooth. Also like the fact that it comes in a single package w/o need for pulling all different components across different sites to make everything to work.

Are there any coupon codes on JRiver?

post #977 of 1596
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kundo View Post
 

What do you think about connecting the DA8 with a Threshold SA/3 class A power amp directly, using the DA8 as preamp? The Threshold is very old, but perfect and sweet sounding. Only regular RCA inputs.

 

Any comments welcome!

 

 

That should be a good combo. Anything made by Nelson Pass is gonna be great, and the DA8 does a fine job as an integrated DAC/preamp. Some people prefer running a dedicated preamp and that may or may not be an improvement depending on your system (and volume levels). I find the DA8 does a really good job unless using low levels, at which point the digital attentuation takes away too much resolution. That isn't unique to the DA8 - it happens with most every example of digital volume control. Anyway, I'd give it a shot for sure, and then later you could maybe add a dedicated pre if you felt some need to tweak the sound. 

post #978 of 1596

Hey project86, thanks for your reply. Do you think the DA8 would be a considerable improvement if i am currently using a pro audio stuff: TC Electronic konnekt 6.

 

Regarding the volume controlling issue: the Treshold is only 50w/channel, so the maybe I don't have to use very low levels with my not too sensitive speakers. At 32bit resolution there should be plenty of room for digital volume processing, shouldn't be?

post #979 of 1596
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kundo View Post
 

Hey project86, thanks for your reply. Do you think the DA8 would be a considerable improvement if i am currently using a pro audio stuff: TC Electronic konnekt 6.

 

Regarding the volume controlling issue: the Treshold is only 50w/channel, so the maybe I don't have to use very low levels with my not too sensitive speakers. At 32bit resolution there should be plenty of room for digital volume processing, shouldn't be?

 

Not sure about the konnect 6.... sorry. I'd assume the DA8 would be a nice improvement based on the parts involved, but I can't say for sure.

 

The volume thing is more dependent upon the gain - if it's reasonably low, or adjustable, that's a good thing. 

post #980 of 1596

Hello kundo,

I have up-to-date Threshold monos SA/6e and the Yulong DA8. The internal preamp is less good than a very good external preamp. I am tweaking the Yulong DA8 and let we see. Anyway, I'm not sure digital preamp is better than a very good analogic preamp.

Best regards.

post #981 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Bump for the old issue. I had gaps (faint clicks) between tracks when playing SACD ISO with both DA8 and AURALiC Vega, very minor but distracting nonetheless.

Just downloaded trial of JRiver and it's gapless smooth. Also like the fact that it comes in a single package w/o need for pulling all different components across different sites to make everything to work.

Are there any coupon codes on JRiver?

 

I am back to using foobar for the time being.

 

Jriver started crashing a lot for me, but the DSD files are definitely a lot smoother with less clicking.

 

I also don't see the option for "WASAPI - Event style" despite uninstalling the original drivers and installing the newest version of the Jriver asio driver that Espirit linked for me.

post #982 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren700 View Post
 

Currently Running a Wireworld Ultraviolet USB to my DA8.

Have not cut off the 5v pins, (Yet)..

If i put electrical tape strips on the pins, will it hold up? does it get dislodged easily?

 

Along the same lines, what "audiophile" usb cables are available with the 5volt pins cut? if any?

 

Electrical tape works fine, mine has stayed in place, but I don't really fiddle with my USB cable that much.  I would recommend comparing back and forth though, at least with the ground taping over the pin may or may not help things - with my equipment I preferred the sound with ground connected - and I think this is also safer...


Edited by drez - 1/23/14 at 6:10am
post #983 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiki arii View Post
I have up-to-date Threshold monos SA/6e and the Yulong DA8. The internal preamp is less good than a very good external preamp. I am tweaking the Yulong DA8 and let we see. Anyway, I'm not sure digital preamp is better than a very good analogic preamp.

Yesterday I connected the DA8 directly to my Adam(s), I immediately have reinserted the Bryston as "real preamp".

m2c

post #984 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post
and I think this is also safer...

The Amanero board isn't powered from the PC. There are no risks :wink_face:

post #985 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Bump for the old issue. I had gaps (faint clicks) between tracks when playing SACD ISO with both DA8 and AURALiC Vega, very minor but distracting nonetheless.

Just downloaded trial of JRiver and it's gapless smooth. Also like the fact that it comes in a single package w/o need for pulling all different components across different sites to make everything to work.

Are there any coupon codes on JRiver?

 

I am back to using foobar for the time being.

 

Jriver started crashing a lot for me, but the DSD files are definitely a lot smoother with less clicking.

 

I also don't see the option for "WASAPI - Event style" despite uninstalling the original drivers and installing the newest version of the Jriver asio driver that Espirit linked for me.

Native drivers including Yulong ASIO work in JRiver 19. When does it crash, for me it happens on SACD ISO with both stereo and multichannel tracks, JRiver can't play multichannel SACD.

post #986 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 
 

That should be a good combo. Anything made by Nelson Pass is gonna be great, and the DA8 does a fine job as an integrated DAC/preamp. Some people prefer running a dedicated preamp and that may or may not be an improvement depending on your system (and volume levels). I find the DA8 does a really good job unless using low levels, at which point the digital attentuation takes away too much resolution. That isn't unique to the DA8 - it happens with most every example of digital volume control. Anyway, I'd give it a shot for sure, and then later you could maybe add a dedicated pre if you felt some need to tweak the sound. 

Is internal Headphone amp also digital attenuation?

post #987 of 1596
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Is internal Headphone amp also digital attenuation?

 

 

Yep. 

post #988 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Native drivers including Yulong ASIO work in JRiver 19. When does it crash, for me it happens on SACD ISO with both stereo and multichannel tracks, JRiver can't play multichannel SACD.

 

Ahh I see. I do have my dsd and sacd files grouped together, I'll double check the multichannel later tonight.

 

The only drivers that will output dsd/sacd files is the foo_dsd_asio for me.

post #989 of 1596

hey guys, sorry if this has been covered before but are the da8 drivers on the yulong website download section (http://www.yulongaudio.com/en/down.asp) the most up to date, or is there somewhere else i can find the newest ones?

 

also i saw under the download section there is a win7 usb patch, do i need to install this for the da8, and if so what does it do?

 

thanks!

post #990 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post
 

hey guys, sorry if this has been covered before but are the da8 drivers on the yulong website download section (http://www.yulongaudio.com/en/down.asp) the most up to date, or is there somewhere else i can find the newest ones?

 

also i saw under the download section there is a win7 usb patch, do i need to install this for the da8, and if so what does it do?

 

thanks!

Regardless of whether you are using JRiver or not, you should download one labeled "JRiver New asio"

This is the latest and greatest driver, and no, it's not JRiver specific, just mislabeled.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC