Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC - Page 54

post #796 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post
 

...I dont get it. If you are picking up a 'fresh' copy of windows from a friend then it isnt a fresh copy. Are you planning on using a 'fresh' disc and then applying your windows key? Or is he providing you with a key as well along with the copy?

 

The reason I ask is because it should be a concern to you. If you had plans of using a hacked or a already 'registered' windows key, I would suggest not to do that. Using a already registered windows key will cause all sorts of problems on your drivers, boards, and everywhere else because you will not be able to download and install the random and periodic 'windows updates' properly.

 

For that reason, I opted to have my laptop to be shipped with no OS and purchased a windows 7 separately. When you purchase a computer or laptop from a store, generally it will have windows pre-installed. This means that the windows key which is labeled underneath or around the pc can only be used for that specific pc, you cannot use that same key if you decide to get a new pc say 10 years later.

 

Good point, I will double check tomorrow.

 

The last time I got one from him it was an authentic copy with an unique cd key. He's one of those guys who has a lot of computer stuff.. I'm borrowing his 300$ graphics card just because he had one lying around haha.

post #797 of 1602

I have been lurking in this thread for a while now and finally pulled the trigger on a DA8 and it finally arrived but I can't listen to it because I am out of town til new years :(.  Can't wait to finally listen to the thing.  Once I do I will post impressions.  It should be an upgrade to my resonessce labs concero.  

post #798 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post
 

I have been lurking in this thread for a while now and finally pulled the trigger on a DA8 and it finally arrived but I can't listen to it because I am out of town til new years :(.  Can't wait to finally listen to the thing.  Once I do I will post impressions.  It should be an upgrade to my resonessce labs concero.  

Congrats on the purchase. The wait must be grueling 

post #799 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

*Proxy* just passes PCM through, thus the name. Unless I don't know something, please elaborate.

 

May be it is more than just a proxy. It optionally upsamples from PCM to DSD. When this option is enabled the output to the DAC is really DSD. I can confirm this because the DA8 shows DSD on its LCD display.

You can install an try it for yourself. It is intended to be used with foobar2000 but it is available to be used with any player that supports ASIO.

This is the link to download the installer from the Sourceforge:

 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_dsd_asio/

post #800 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

 
...I dont get it. If you are picking up a 'fresh' copy of windows from a friend then it isnt a fresh copy. Are you planning on using a 'fresh' disc and then applying your windows key? Or is he providing you with a key as well along with the copy?

The reason I ask is because it should be a concern to you. If you had plans of using a hacked or a already 'registered' windows key, I would suggest not to do that. Using a already registered windows key will cause all sorts of problems on your drivers, boards, and everywhere else because you will not be able to download and install the random and periodic 'windows updates' properly.

For that reason, I opted to have my laptop to be shipped with no OS and purchased a windows 7 separately. When you purchase a computer or laptop from a store, generally it will have windows pre-installed. This means that the windows key which is labeled underneath or around the pc can only be used for that specific pc, you cannot use that same key if you decide to get a new pc say 10 years later.

Good point, I will double check tomorrow.

The last time I got one from him it was an authentic copy with an unique cd key. He's one of those guys who has a lot of computer stuff.. I'm borrowing his 300$ graphics card just because he had one lying around haha.
Which card is it?
post #801 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

*Proxy* just passes PCM through, thus the name. Unless I don't know something, please elaborate.

 

May be it is more than just a proxy. It optionally upsamples from PCM to DSD. When this option is enabled the output to the DAC is really DSD. I can confirm this because the DA8 shows DSD on its LCD display.

You can install an try it for yourself. It is intended to be used with foobar2000 but it is available to be used with any player that supports ASIO.

This is the link to download the installer from the Sourceforge:

 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_dsd_asio/

Guess you are right, no proper documentation on this thing and it's disabled by default

Which PCM to DSD method did you use, there is a bunch in the list

.

post #802 of 1602

Just found incredible article covering all these settings, enjoy

 

Foobar 2000 for Dummies (Part 2) | DIY-Audio-Heaven

post #803 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

Just found incredible article covering all these settings, enjoy

Foobar 2000 for Dummies (Part 2) | DIY-Audio-Heaven


Wow, great read. Thanks for that Andrew.
post #804 of 1602
Feeling blessed to have a Mac. *wink wink*
post #805 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post

Feeling blessed to have a Mac. *wink wink*
Macs have their flaws as well. A long list of flaws smily_headphones1.gif
post #806 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post
Feeling blessed to have a Mac. *wink wink*

No DSD256 & DSD512 :tongue_smile:

P.S. Mac user since 1988 :wink_face: 

post #807 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post
Macs have their flaws as well. A long list of flaws smily_headphones1.gif

post #808 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Guess you are right, no proper documentation on this thing and it's disabled by default

Which PCM to DSD method did you use, there is a bunch in the list

.

 

I tried all but I am using none. Just used for testing.

To get it working with DSD256 and DSD512 you have to use ASIO Native as DSD Playback Method.

You can try all the PCM to DSD Methods and figure out which one sounds better to your ears. With DSD512, SDM Type A worked better but with strange noises.

None of the PCM do DSD Methods sounded better than pure PCM, IMHO.


Edited by Elder - 12/27/13 at 5:51pm
post #809 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Guess you are right, no proper documentation on this thing and it's disabled by default

Which PCM to DSD method did you use, there is a bunch in the list

.

 

I tried all but I am not using none. Just used for testing.

To get it working with DSD256 and DSD512 you have to use ASIO Native as DSD Playback Method.

You can try all the PCM to DSD Methods and figure out which one sounds better to your ears. With DSD512, SDM Type A worked better but with strange noises.

None of the PCM do DSD Methods sounded better than pure PCM, IMHO.

Concur to that, too glossy and polite.

Does DA8 support native asio playback, that's new to me? But I betcha, it works. :eek:

So, should we continue using DoP for DSD64/128 or switch to Native?

post #810 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


Which card is it?

 

Nvidia GTX295, I've had it since 2011 ish. I use it mainly for starcraft 2, but I don't have time to play much anymore.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC