or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC - Page 51

post #751 of 1596

Appreciate the advice. Finally got around to trying a few suggestions.

 

I switched my audioquest USB cable out and replaced it with the stock one came with the DA8.

 

The cable helped, I dont get background static and the lag is almost all gone. Unfortunately I still get pops at the beginning of songs, almost always 2 pops. They aren't loud or piercing but noticeable. I also noticed that the pops only happen when I am manually changing songs. If I let the playlist play on its own the transitions are smooth between songs. 

 

I did go through Grants and was in contact with Rachael before making the purchase. Will shoot them an email just to let them know I'm dealing with an issue involving DSDs.


Edited by Angelbelow - 12/22/13 at 7:41pm
post #752 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post

Appreciate the advice. Finally got around to trying a few suggestions.

I switched my audioquest USB cable out and replaced it with the stock one came with the DA8.

The cable helped, I dont get background static and the lag is almost all gone. Unfortunately I still get pops at the beginning of songs, almost always 2 pops. They aren't loud or piercing but noticeable. I also noticed that the pops only happen when I am manually changing songs. If I let the playlist play on its own the transitions are smooth between songs. 

I did go through Grants and was in contact with Rachael before making the purchase. Will shoot them an email just to let them know I'm doing with an issue involving DSDs.
Try reinstalling Foobar, if you have Jriver try playing the same material and see if the that pop is still audible. I believe that your computer is most likely to be the culprit and not your DA8.
post #753 of 1596

I am also getting a 1-1.5 second lag whenever I start playing a new song. I am using WASAPI on Winamp. Note: this lag does not exist if I am using Nullsoft DirectSound Output. Can anyone help? Also noticed that this happens in "Exclusive" mode. However, if I choose "Shared" mode, then the Yulong will not show 88.2 khz on songs that are indeed 88.2 khz. It will stick with 44.1 khz. I know I can change the "Default" in Windows, but I don't want Windows to resample (see below):

 

 

I also had issues with the Yulong not being detected by my computer, but I switched out the cable and that has been resolved.

 

To be honest, I'm annoyed with the amount of steps I had to take just to get music to play from this thing. It probably took me 30 minutes to get the player to be recognized by windows before I swapped out the USB cable for one that I had and everything worked properly.


Edited by SolidVictory - 12/23/13 at 4:20pm
post #754 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidVictory View Post

I am also getting a 1-1.5 second lag whenever I start playing a new song. I am using WASAPI on Winamp. Note: this lag does not exist if I am using Nullsoft DirectSound Output. Can anyone help? Also noticed that this happens in "Exclusive" mode. However, if I choose "Shared" mode, then the Yulong will not show 88.2 khz on songs that are indeed 88.2 khz. It will stick with 44.1 khz. I know I can change the "Default" in Windows, but I don't want Windows to resample (see below):




I also had issues with the Yulong not being detected by my computer, but I switched out the cable and that has been resolved.

To be honest, I'm annoyed with the amount of steps I had to take just to get music to play from this thing. It probably took me 30 minutes to get the player to be recognized by windows before I swapped out the USB cable for one that I had and everything worked properly.
I never had any problems whatsoever with my da8. As far as the installation, it was literally plug-and-play. Get a new computer guys, I bet the users that are having problems are using computers that are old enough to be using windows 98 or 2000
Edited by DarKen23 - 12/23/13 at 9:04pm
post #755 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


I never had any problems whatsoever with my da8. As far as the installation, it was literally plug-and-plug. Get a new computer guys, I bet the users that are having problems are using computers that are old enough to be using windows 98 or 2000

 

I built my computer and I'm quite aware of how to install drivers and such. It's not my computer.

 

The USB cable supplied was lackluster. Sometimes my computer would not detect the Yulong. If I removed the USB cable and inserted the cable back in multiple times, it would eventually work. However, once I swapped out the USB cable, the problem ended completely.

 

As for the 1 second lag, it is not a problem with the Yulong but rather a software problem with WASAPI.

post #756 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidVictory View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

I never had any problems whatsoever with my da8. As far as the installation, it was literally plug-and-plug. Get a new computer guys, I bet the users that are having problems are using computers that are old enough to be using windows 98 or 2000

I built my computer and I'm quite aware of how to install drivers and such. It's not my computer.

The USB cable supplied was lackluster. Sometimes my computer would not detect the Yulong. If I removed the USB cable and inserted the cable back in multiple times, it would eventually work. However, once I swapped out the USB cable, the problem ended completely.

As for the 1 second lag, it is not a problem with the Yulong but rather a software problem with WASAPI.
I never had any problems with WASAPI. Just sayin..
post #757 of 1596
Issue has been greatly minimized, but the popping at the beginning, manually changing songs and fast forwarding continues. I just got a new solid state to replace my old one so I'm going to be moving everything over there and see how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

Try reinstalling Foobar, if you have Jriver try playing the same material and see if the that pop is still audible. I believe that your computer is most likely to be the culprit and not your DA8.
post #758 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post
 
 
I never had any problems whatsoever with my da8. As far as the installation, it was literally plug-and-plug. Get a new computer guys, I bet the users that are having problems are using computers that are old enough to be using windows 98 or 2000

I am quite impressed by Yulong/Amanero  drivers and stability of the thing. To be honest I have less playback issues with it than with AURALiC Vega, it just chews through everything, PCM, DSD64, DSD128, DXD, never skipping or missing a bit.

 

Never tried stock cable, Belkin Gold is what I use on all my rigs, cheap and effective.

 

I use ASIO though with foo_out_dsd proxy. Try that as this is what you should use in foobar2000 for DSD.

post #759 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post

Issue has been greatly minimized, but the popping at the beginning, manually changing songs and fast forwarding continues. I just got a new solid state to replace my old one so I'm going to be moving everything over there and see how it goes.
 

Did you check your playback buffering settings.

post #760 of 1596
I did, its set on 50ms, the lowest foobar will go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

Did you check your playback buffering settings.
post #761 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post
 
 
I never had any problems whatsoever with my da8. As far as the installation, it was literally plug-and-plug. Get a new computer guys, I bet the users that are having problems are using computers that are old enough to be using windows 98 or 2000

I am quite impressed by Yulong/Amanero  drivers and stability of the thing. To be honest I have less playback issues with it than with AURALiC Vega, it just chews through everything, PCM, DSD64, DSD128, DXD, never skipping or missing a bit.

 

Never tried stock cable, Belkin Gold is what I use on all my rigs, cheap and effective.

 

I use ASIO though with foo_out_dsd proxy. Try that as this is what you should use in foobar2000 for DSD.

+1. I use foo_dsd_asio on Jriver.

post #762 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post

I did, its set on 50ms, the lowest foobar will go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

Did you check your playback buffering settings.

In my opinion, Foobar is great, it works and its free--really cant complain. I still feel that Jriver is better though, for a number of reasons. And while its 'pay to play' at 49.98, Id still go with Jriver over Foobar every time. 

 

Anyways, heres what my settings look like in Jriver, as should yours if you were to use Jriver.

 

Note: If you decide to try Jriver, try enabling the box Ive checked on in photo#2 'Play files from memory instead of disk'

post #763 of 1596

The funny thing is, I'm not playing DSD files and I'm still getting the 1 second lag. But it goes away if I skip WASAPI or Asio (but then I have to go through Windows upsampling which I do not want).

post #764 of 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post

I did, its set on 50ms, the lowest foobar will go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

Did you check your playback buffering settings.

I am sure you are looking at the wrong settings. It's under Advanced/Playback/Full file buffering up to (kb)

JRiver vs foobar2000 is really a matter of habit, both provide stellar playback, if you know your way around them. Of course paid application must be better :p

post #765 of 1596
Oh yeah I did check that one as well. I believe it was set at 0. Will double check when I get home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

I am sure you are looking at the wrong settings. It's under Advanced/Playback/Full file buffering up to (kb)
JRiver vs foobar2000 is really a matter of habit, both provide stellar playback, if you know your way around them. Of course paid application must be better tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC