Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC - Page 84

post #1246 of 1602

Arg :(

post #1247 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMSV View Post
One quick question, are there any noise when using usb directly connected to the pc? I read that the own has its own internal power, but required a special cable?

No noise here (I use an USB cable with pins #1 & 4 covered by tape)

post #1248 of 1602

Subscribed :).

 

Also, any thoughts on how the Yulong DA8 would pair with the Alpha Dogs?  I've read that the Alpha Dogs need 1 watt of power (maybe more?) and I believe they are 50ohm.  Would I need an app to go along with the DA8 when using the Alpha Dogs? (I've considered getting a Emotiva mini-a x100 amp to toy with).

post #1249 of 1602
Thread Starter 

I use DA8 with Alpha Dogs on occasion. Good combo. The Alphas can be made to sound better, for example by using the A28 in balanced mode. But when I use an XLR to SE adapter and plug straight into the DA8 headphone jack, it still sounds very enjoyable. 

post #1250 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmarrin View Post
 

Subscribed :).

 

Also, any thoughts on how the Yulong DA8 would pair with the Alpha Dogs?  I've read that the Alpha Dogs need 1 watt of power (maybe more?) and I believe they are 50ohm.  Would I need an app to go along with the DA8 when using the Alpha Dogs? (I've considered getting a Emotiva mini-a x100 amp to toy with).

Seeing that the Alpha Dogs are 90dB/mW, i don't think there would be a problem unless you want to exceed 115dB SPL, then you might have a little dynamic compression.

post #1251 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

I use DA8 with Alpha Dogs on occasion. Good combo. The Alphas can be made to sound better, for example by using the A28 in balanced mode. But when I use an XLR to SE adapter and plug straight into the DA8 headphone jack, it still sounds very enjoyable. 

That's the point. It's better to use this kind of adapter rather than the RCA output using IC-OPA to "desymetrise" a symetric scheme.

post #1252 of 1602
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiki arii View Post
 

That's the point. It's better to use this kind of adapter rather than the RCA output using IC-OPA to "desymetrise" a symetric scheme.

 

Sorry, to clarify - I was talking about my balanced Alpha Dogs needing an adapter to connect to the DA8 headphone jack. The rear XLR outputs are another matter - I actually no longer have my adapters to tap into those. Long story. 

post #1253 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
Sorry, to clarify - I was talking about my balanced Alpha Dogs needing an adapter to connect to the DA8 headphone jack. The rear XLR outputs are another matter - I actually no longer have my adapters to tap into those. Long story. 

Sorry, I misunderstood but XLR outputs outperform RCA outputs on the Yulong DA8... That is what I wanted to let you know..

post #1254 of 1602

Guys,

 

I'm looking for help from someone with experience with XLR Output from the DA8. It is my understanding that Yulong does not recommend using XLR to RCA adapters as they could damage the DA8. The amp I'm getting only has SIngle Ended Input (RCA). From what I've read, the XLR output is better than the RCA output from the DA8. If I would make my own interconnects XLR>RCA and take the ground leg from the XLR connector and bring it to the frame of the amp instead bringing it to the (-) signal leg of the RCA, would I still jeopardize the DA8?

 

Steve

post #1255 of 1602

Who uses "jitter eliminator" with USB input?

post #1256 of 1602
On bad recordings I will use it. If I'm using it for background music I will use it as well. I find that I'm less fatigued with it on for long listening sessions. For more critical listening I have it off. I'm using the integrated amp with Beyer T1 single ended, for a point of reference.

Steve
post #1257 of 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsandrze View Post
I find that I'm less fatigued with it on for long listening sessions.

I agree

post #1258 of 1602

Hi there! I just ordered DA8. Anybody know whats the difference between Original vs. 2013 model? Anybody know when the original model came out? It's fairly new product i think. Will be driving HD800's for a while before i upgrade to a dedicated amp. I don't actually expect much but probably will be a good uprage from Auzentech Hometheather HD.

Is USB cable what comes with the DAC data only or do i have to make one myself? Can't really find affordable data-only usb cables or i just don't know the search words. Anybody using yulongs power cord and is it worth it?

 

Seriously i try to keep cool head and not to think about it but im too excited because of the wait. It's my first external DAC so understandably im pretty excited about it.

post #1259 of 1602

I think there haven't been any revisions to 'original' DA8. Sound quality improvement should be quite a step up. 

USB cable can be standard one or modified one without source (computer) power and ground lines as DA8 has USB supply built in.

Can't comment on luxury cables. 

post #1260 of 1602
Thread Starter 

I'd say the "2013" thing is just a ploy used by eBay sellers to set themselves apart from their competition. So the consumer thinks that particular seller has the latest and greatest. When in reality, nothing has changed.

 

You can still find sellers who haven't updated their listings... it still shows "new 2009 version" of the Zero DAC, or DarkVoice amp, etc. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC