Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Please help me end my search for headphones..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please help me end my search for headphones..

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
My budget is up to £150 GBP

Looking for a pair of full size circumaural headphones for gaming and music. In terms of gaming, I almost exclusively play RTS (Real Time Strategy) and FPS (First Person Shooter) games. Music-wise, I listen to almost everything besides classical, jazz and country. However, I do listen to slightly more EDM (Electronic Dance Music) than anything else.

The headphones have to be closed rather than open. This is because I do not want to disturb people at night nor do I want sound leaking in / other people being able to hear what I am listening to clearly.
In terms of sound, I’d like something where the sound in general is fairly balanced, perhaps with a slight nudge more towards bass. I don’t want headphones that have piercing highs that hurt my ears, nor do I want monstrous bass that overpowers everything else. Something that doesn’t have recessed mids would be ideal as well. I’d like headphones that have good but not muddy bass when called upon but not so much that the rest of the sound suffers.

Comfort is absolutely paramount to me; I want something with large, deep and soft cups, something less than say 400 grams in weight and something that doesn’t sit uncomfortably on the jaw, causing fatigue after a short amount of time (Like the M-Audio Q40s I had and sold because of this). I’m talking about the sort of headphones you can wear for hours and hours on end and having no comfort issues (Besides hot / sweaty ears obviously)

I'd say my head was more large than small haha (Measure my head for a cap size and it was like 24 inches)

I’ve previous had the aforementioned M-Audio Q40s but sold them due to comfort and the DT770 Pro 80s had amazing earcups but they sat a little low on my head and the mids sounded quite recessed to me.

I love the look of some of the Sennheiser headphones (For example the HD558s looked perfect comfort-wise, not sure about the sound but still) but it’s a shame the ones I like are open. I’d love a pair of open headphones but I currently share a room and my roommate can get quite loud when talking down the microphone with his friends on games.

Any suggestions for my rather specific set of needs? I thought I’d give as much detail as possible to try and get some more ‘tailored’ suggestions.
Edited by Mackem - 7/26/13 at 5:39pm
post #2 of 21

Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) headphones.

I think they are a step above the DT770s, in audio quality.

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Where can I buy them for the cheapest price that delivers to the UK do you know? I'm not too sure on this since they're more expensive here so I think it'd be cheaper to buy them elsewhere.
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post

Where can I buy them for the cheapest price that delivers to the UK do you know? I'm not too sure on this since they're more expensive here so I think it'd be cheaper to buy them elsewhere.

Mail order them from Japan, using eBay.

 

Have you looked at the Thomann website (for other brands), Thomann seems to have good prices.

post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'll take a look at the ATH-A900X but any other recommendations are welcome, keeping my options open.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post

I’ve previous had the aforementioned M-Audio Q40s but sold them due to comfort and the DT770 Pro 80s had amazing earcups but they sat a little low on my head and the mids sounded quite recessed to me.
 

I love the Q40's but I agree that they have a very tight clamp. Did you ever try them with the Shure 840 pads? They make a huge difference in comfort/seal without affecting the sound too much.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) headphones.

I think they are a step above the DT770s, in audio quality.

I agree overall but they have almost no bass at all (IMO), especially for EDM. Part of this reason is because I had a hard time getting a good seal with them.

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

I love the Q40's but I agree that they have a very tight clamp. Did you ever try them with the Shure 840 pads? They make a huge difference in comfort/seal without affecting the sound too much.

I agree overall but they have almost no bass at all (IMO), especially for EDM. Part of this reason is because I had a hard time getting a good seal with them.

I sold them before I had a chance to really.
post #8 of 21

Ultrasone Pro 550. They do great with gaming positioning and your music style (do not expect lots of bass)

post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'll have a look at those as well. If only there was a closed version of the HD558
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

(ATH-A990X) I agree overall but they have almost no bass at all (IMO), especially for EDM. Part of this reason is because I had a hard time getting a good seal with them.

One of the things I like about the A900X is the less then perfect seal, makes is easier on my almost 49 year old ears.

post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'm not really sure whether to go for open or closed headphones to be quite honest.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post

I'm not really sure whether to go for open or closed headphones to be quite honest.


Sony MDR-1R or AKG K550?

post #13 of 21

I suggest the KEF M500. It's not full-size or circumaural but if those criteria aren't necessary, could be worth checking out.

 

Edit: oops, I see it's also over the price mentioned at £250. I'd still suggest it anyway though. tongue.gif


Edited by Asr - 7/20/13 at 1:19am
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post


Sony MDR-1R or AKG K550?

I'll take a look. I think I'd prefer closed headphones that are stupidly comfortable (Velour pads, deep and large cups but light clamping force or at least lighter than the Q40s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

I suggest the KEF M500. It's not full-size or circumaural but if those criteria aren't necessary, could be worth checking out.

Edit: oops, I see it's also over the price mentioned at £250. I'd still suggest it anyway though. tongue.gif

My budget is £150 :P
post #15 of 21

The AD900X are ridiculously comfortable as long as you don't have a small head (in which case they slide down). But that apparently can be fixed with a simple rubber-band. For my medium sized head, they are very comfortable. And they sound great for an great price. So if you are considering open headphones, look into them.

 

If you are looking for closed as initially stated, then the A900X will provide that same comfort, and from all accounts, sound great also.

 

Another comfortable but more expensive open option would be the Fidelio X1 (which by all accounts has amazing SQ).

 

Good luck!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Please help me end my search for headphones..