Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best Bass Headphones for under 200$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Bass Headphones for under 200$

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Im looking for a pair of On-Ear or Over-Ear headphones with bass that you can feel on your skull, I'm not going to buy an EQ.... I would also like the headphones to have good vocals, crisp and clean sound... I don't want the earcups to be huge like the XB 500's, I want them to have atleast decent looks since I'm planning on having these headphones in school, the gym basically everywhere in public and at home... Im going to use these headphones with my iPhone and my computer. I own the Sol Republic Tracks HD and lots of people say that they have tons of bass, and I think that they're not so bassheavy as people say.
Here is a summary of what I'm looking for...

-I'm not gonna buy any Equalizers or Amps so don't suggest that
-Really Bassheavy so that you can feel the headphones vibrate on your skull with the bass
-On-Ear or Over-Ear so no IEM's
-Atleast decent mids and highs
-Under 200$
-Portable
-Have to work with iPhone's
-Atleast decent looks

Don't suggest Beats!

Thank you! /Oskar
(I'm new at this site)
Edited by OskarZ - 7/18/13 at 12:17pm
post #2 of 28

You would get better/more bass from over ear rather than on ear.  That said, I'm not sure of any "head rattling" bass from on-ear headphones.  Even a cursory Google search recommends IEMs or Over Ear.

post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post

You would get better/more bass from over ear rather than on ear.  That said, I'm not sure of any "head rattling" bass from on-ear headphones.  Even a cursory Google search recommends IEMs or Over Ear.
Thanks for the tip! BTW What's an IEM?
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskarZ View Post


Thanks for the tip! BTW What's an IEM?

In Ear Monitor... the ones you actually put into your ear canal.

post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskarZ View Post

Im looking for a pair of On-Ear headphones with bass that you can feel on your skull, I'm not going to buy an EQ.... I would also like the headphones to have good vocals, crisp and clean sound... As I mentioned in the beginning I don't want the earcups to be huge like the XB 500's, I want them to be On-Ear since I'm planning on having these headphones in school, the gym basically everywhere in public and at home... Im going to use these headphones with my iPhone and my computer. I own the Sol Republic Tracks HD and lots of people say that their have tons of bass, and I think that they're not so bassheavy as people say.
Here is a summary of what I'm looking for...

-I'm not gonna buy any Equalizers or Amps so don't suggest that
-Really Bassheavy so that you can feel the headphones vibrate on your skull with the bass
-On-Ear
-Atleast decent mids and highs
-Under 200$
-Portable
-Have to work with iPhone's

Don't suggest Beats!

Thank you! /Oskar
(I'm new at this site)

   I don't mean to be rude, but is it me or are you stating too many obvious things? Obviously, you're new here. Anyone who's been here could see that without having to read your blatant statement. No one here at Head-Fi needs to know that you don't want Beats, as Beats is far below the quality that is expected here. Though I own a pair, I'd like to sell these ASAP and buy a Beyer.

 

   For bass, I suggest getting an IEM like what liquidzoo said. As they are much smaller than on-ears, they are great for you. But as your reuqirements require, I suggest skimping on headphones altogether.

   My point is, you can't have head-shaking bass unless you have subwoofers strapped to your ears. You can't have decent mids and highs with only subwoofers. Only speakers could do that. You have quite some standards right there.

   I'd suggest getting the JVC HA-F40, as tehy are quite bassy, and have great sound overall. I don't think anyone could give the answer to all of your needs, but this one should be able to take on most of them except being bass-heavy and on-ear with ease. 

post #6 of 28
DT770 has tons of bass, not sure if it will rattle your head though.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

DT770 has tons of bass, not sure if it will rattle your head though.

Not sure if you could find them sub-$200, though.

 

JVC HA-RX500 might be on-ear, the HA-RX700 is over ear.  Both have good bass and are cheap.

 

I have a pair of JVCs that I can't find the model number on.  I bought them when I thought my DT770s were hosed.  I think they're the HA-M50X.  I thought my ears were going to fall off when I listened to a bass-heavy remix with these (through my E17).

 

For cheap IEMs, I've heard good things about the JVC HA-FX1xx series, though I'm not an IEM person.  Again, these are just cheap options.  There are far better options out there.  It all depends on what you want to spend.

 

If you can bump up your budget a bit, the Sennheiser Momentums are on-ear and highly recommended.

post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

   I don't mean to be rude, but is it me or are you stating too many obvious things? Obviously, you're new here. Anyone who's been here could see that without having to read your blatant statement. No one here at Head-Fi needs to know that you don't want Beats, as Beats is far below the quality that is expected here. Though I own a pair, I'd like to sell these ASAP and buy a Beyer.

 

The OP only mentioned 3 words, "don't suggest beats." So it is just you that is having issues. Perhaps you're insecure with yourself based on your previous purchase of the Beats and the fact that even your name suggests you're a Beats fanatic.

 

It doesn't matter whether someone is new or old on this forum, this is a place to share ideas and knowledge... while I'm not an admin or mod on this forum I can confidently say that the intent of this forum is not to bash on others... especially those asking for advice or guidance.

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post

Not sure if you could find them sub-$200, though.

 

JVC HA-RX500 might be on-ear, the HA-RX700 is over ear.  Both have good bass and are cheap.

 

I have a pair of JVCs that I can't find the model number on.  I bought them when I thought my DT770s were hosed.  I think they're the HA-M50X.  I thought my ears were going to fall off when I listened to a bass-heavy remix with these (through my E17).

 

 

The HA-RX900's are even better in the bass area. 

post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

   I don't mean to be rude, but is it me or are you stating too many obvious things? Obviously, you're new here. Anyone who's been here could see that without having to read your blatant statement. No one here at Head-Fi needs to know that you don't want Beats, as Beats is far below the quality that is expected here. Though I own a pair, I'd like to sell these ASAP and buy a Beyer.

   For bass, I suggest getting an IEM like what liquidzoo said. As they are much smaller than on-ears, they are great for you. But as your reuqirements require, I suggest skimping on headphones altogether.
   My point is, you can't have head-shaking bass unless you have subwoofers strapped to your ears. You can't have decent mids and highs with only subwoofers. Only speakers could do that. You have quite some standards right there.
   I'd suggest getting the JVC HA-F40, as tehy are quite bassy, and have great sound overall. I don't think anyone could give the answer to all of your needs, but this one should be able to take on most of them except being bass-heavy and on-ear with ease. 
I've never owned a pair of Beats... It's just that i've tried several ones and they wasn't bad but they wasn't worth their price... And the only On-Ear headphones from Beats that costs under 200$ that I know is the Solo HD's and they are ******* terrible...
post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post

Not sure if you could find them sub-$200, though.

JVC HA-RX500 might be on-ear, the HA-RX700 is over ear.  Both have good bass and are cheap.

I have a pair of JVCs that I can't find the model number on.  I bought them when I thought my DT770s were hosed.  I think they're the HA-M50X.  I thought my ears were going to fall off when I listened to a bass-heavy remix with these (through my E17).

For cheap IEMs, I've heard good things about the JVC HA-FX1xx series, though I'm not an IEM person.  Again, these are just cheap options.  There are far better options out there.  It all depends on what you want to spend.

If you can bump up your budget a bit, the Sennheiser Momentums are on-ear and highly recommended.
Thanks for the tip! I changed the thread to Over-Ear and On-Ear headphones since everyone says that most of the headphones who have so much bass that it rattles your skull are Over-Ear..
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwess View Post

The HA-RX900's are even better in the bass area. 
Thanks for the tip! But I didn't really like how they looked...
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

DT770 has tons of bass, not sure if it will rattle your head though.


The Problem with the DT770 Pro 80ohm is that they need an amp to sound the best, an iPhone just isn't made to power 40-50mm 80ohm drivers.

 

I used the old Klipsch Image ONE's and S4's with a Sony S-series player and bass boost for huge bass but strait from an iPod/iPhone they don't have that much bass (similar to the Sol republics but better I think).

 

I will try to cater to what you want but I'm just going to say this. In my opinion and my experience you should keep the Sol Track's HD's and either get a Sony player for music and jack up the "Sony clear bass" (your iPhone battery would last longer?) or a ZO2 amp to use with them but I understand you just want to carry your iPhone so another option is to get (the best ones cast a couple buck's $1-$3) EQ app for you iPhone like eqU to boost the bass, I just found the apps hard to use and they use more battery power than just running from "music".

 

If you just want, iPhone strait to your headphones the only ones I can think of with enough bass are the Audio-technica Pro700 MKII or for IEM's the Monster Turbine's Pro gold.

 

Some headphones can put out bass (like the DT770's, Klipsch, Beat by dre, V-moda's, B&W P5's, Denon D2k and 5k, Audez LCD-2 etc) and some headphones just can't like the Shure SRH440 and 840's, etymotic and more analytic tunes balance armature IEM's, AKG K701's and stuff like that but in order to get truly skull crushing impactful bass from what I have experienced you need a headphone that can produce deep impactful bass with some degree of bass boost, even a little goes a long way with already bass heavy headphone's.

post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post


The Problem with the DT770 Pro 80ohm is that they need an amp to sound the best, an iPhone just isn't made to power 40-50mm 80ohm drivers.

I used the old Klipsch Image ONE's and S4's with a Sony S-series player and bass boost for huge bass but strait from an iPod/iPhone they don't have that much bass (similar to the Sol republics but better I think).

I will try to cater to what you want but I'm just going to say this. In my opinion and my experience you should keep the Sol Track's HD's and either get a Sony player for music and jack up the "Sony clear bass" (your iPhone battery would last longer?) or a ZO2 amp to use with them but I understand you just want to carry your iPhone so another option is to get (the best ones cast a couple buck's $1-$3) EQ app for you iPhone like eqU to boost the bass, I just found the apps hard to use and they use more battery power than just running from "music".

If you just want, iPhone strait to your headphones the only ones I can think of with enough bass are the Audio-technica Pro700 MKII or for IEM's the Monster Turbine's Pro gold.

Some headphones can put out bass (like the DT770's, Klipsch, Beat by dre, V-moda's, B&W P5's, Denon D2k and 5k, Audez LCD-2 etc) and some headphones just can't like the Shure SRH440 and 840's, etymotic and more analytic tunes balance armature IEM's, AKG K701's and stuff like that but in order to get truly skull crushing impactful bass from what I have experienced you need a headphone that can produce deep impactful bass with some degree of bass boost, even a little goes a long way with already bass heavy headphone's.
How about the XB500's? I Searched for "Best Bass Headphone" on Head-Fi and lots of people on the forums said that they had great bass. Do you know any EQ app for the iPhone that can Bass Boost all the sounds(Not just the Music App)? And also do you know any Equalizers that are small and portable, since that would probably produce more bass?
post #15 of 28

The Fiio E6 is a small portable amp with two levels of bass boost. You plug it directly into your iPhone's headphone jack. It costs around $25 or so.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best Bass Headphones for under 200$