New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD600 vs Mad Dogs

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, my current setup is an Essence STX and a HD600. I'm currently in need of a closed pair of headphones and I'm wondering how the MDs compare to the HD600. I listen to mostly jazz and rock. Other suggestions for headphones are definitely welcome too ;)

post #2 of 7

I thought the T50RP outperformed my HD600 in several areas so I ended up selling the HD600.  Soundstage was better on the HD600 but that's expected from an open can.  

post #3 of 7

Might I inquire what those areas were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

I thought the T50RP outperformed my HD600 in several areas so I ended up selling the HD600.  Soundstage was better on the HD600 but that's expected from an open can.  

post #4 of 7

Resolution, body and tone were the areas I felt that the T50RP was able to edge out the HD600 for most genres I listened to.  There is a sense of presence and realism to the music that I did not hear with the HD600 which also made me favor the T50RP.  My biggest complaint with the T50RP is the mid bass which tends to throw off the balance of these headphones.  I will probably need to do some more tweaking and see if I can dampen those frequencies, otherwise I think the T50RP can perform well above its price range. 

post #5 of 7
I would agree the Mad Dogs win in resolution and tightness of the sound; however I personally preferred the tone of the HD600, the Mad Dogs sounded just a bit unnatural to me, reminding me in some ways of my DT770 LEs in the way they sounded somewhat cavernous and not quite forward enough in the mids despite having a smaller presentation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

Resolution, body and tone were the areas I felt that the T50RP was able to edge out the HD600 for most genres I listened to.  There is a sense of presence and realism to the music that I did not hear with the HD600 which also made me favor the T50RP.  My biggest complaint with the T50RP is the mid bass which tends to throw off the balance of these headphones.  I will probably need to do some more tweaking and see if I can dampen those frequencies, otherwise I think the T50RP can perform well above its price range. 
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

I would agree the Mad Dogs win in resolution and tightness of the sound; however I personally preferred the tone of the HD600, the Mad Dogs sounded just a bit unnatural to me, reminding me in some ways of my DT770 LEs in the way they sounded somewhat cavernous and not quite forward enough in the mids despite having a smaller presentation.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. My interest for this headphone sparked because I have read everywhere that people were comparing this headphone to the likes of the LCD-2 and 3, some even preferring the Mad Dog.

 

Gilly, judging from your display picture, I can only assume that you're a Tool fan :P 

 

May I ask how Tool sounds on these? They're my favourite band and consists of the bulk of my listening. I will be amping them from an Essence STX, if I do purchase them. I'm really interested in these and I'm really looking forward to owning a pair as the open HD600 has become an annoyance to the girlfriend. :) Thanks again, everyone! 

post #7 of 7

I like Tool, but I'm moreso a fan of Alex Grey's art ;)

 

On the Mad Dogs or DT770s? Tool is decent on the LEs, a little sparkly for my tastes, but they are dynamic enough and have good bass response for the kicks. Guitars and vocals are more recessed than I typically like though.

 

I haven't heard the Mad Dogs extensively, only at a meet, so I can't give too terribly much feedback on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzdsftw View Post

Thanks for the replies, everyone. My interest for this headphone sparked because I have read everywhere that people were comparing this headphone to the likes of the LCD-2 and 3, some even preferring the Mad Dog.

 

Gilly, judging from your display picture, I can only assume that you're a Tool fan :P 

 

May I ask how Tool sounds on these? They're my favourite band and consists of the bulk of my listening. I will be amping them from an Essence STX, if I do purchase them. I'm really interested in these and I'm really looking forward to owning a pair as the open HD600 has become an annoyance to the girlfriend. :) Thanks again, everyone! 


Edited by Gilly87 - 7/31/13 at 9:07am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home