- 957 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: Indonesia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 9/11/13
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by dbsaffor, 9/11/13
- productGrant Fidelity 24/192 TubeDAC-11 Digital to Analog Converter with Tube Outputtagged by dbsaffor, 9/11/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by dbsaffor, 9/11/13
- productMeridian 508.24tagged by dbsaffor, 9/11/13
- productRay Samuels Audio F-35 Lightningtagged by dbsaffor, 9/11/13
- productRSA Hornettagged by dbsaffor, 9/11/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by dbsaffor, 9/11/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- I need recommendation for a Headphone + Amp Combo Last post on 3/26/13 at 1:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit Lyr for HD800? Last post on 9/19/12 at 4:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-500 versus Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 9/18/13 at 11:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Disclaimer I was part of the european leg on the X5 world tour, so I did receive a review unit, free of charge, for ten days, but it was already running FW 1.0. I am in no way affiliated with...
Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited needs some serious burning-in. They sound horrible at the beginning but after about 30-40 hrs they are getting better and better - very open (doesn't sound like closed...
Purchased these this week, and had them replaced with another set - which exhibited the same flaw. Two may be a curse, but they both did the same thing so I would be wary. When on standby,...
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
Synopsis: The Spectrum Series G10 is the next generation universal fit stage monitor from Future Sonics. Replacing the Atrio with a new driver, housing, and cables, the G10 surpasses it in detail...
RSA F-35 The Lightning Review - Page 2post #16 of 407/20/13 at 7:06amI often use Intruder to drive my hd800 (using HPP1 dac output or CLASdb). But it can drive almost anything without any problems. But i prefer to drive my T1 using Portatube. Sound smoother.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 407/20/13 at 7:26ampost #18 of 407/20/13 at 9:06ampost #19 of 407/20/13 at 9:14am
I am split on this one. I'd be torn between the intruder and this one but would lean towards the intruder having more functions and working with more headphones and iems; in a way not taking chances with having a shortfall. It is almost like the 71B and Intruder, the line started getting blurred. Just my honest opinion.post #20 of 407/20/13 at 9:19amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by musicheaven
I am split on this one. I'd be torn between the intruder and this one but would lean towards the intruder having more functions and working with more headphones and iems; in a way not taking chances with having a shortfall. It is almost like the 71B and Intruder, the line started getting blurred. Just my honest opinion.
I Agree. t first, I thought the lightening was just an intruder or st71 without a SE output. I think it has been designed specifically for the ortho cans personally. I don't know what the actual impedance is on the amp. Just that my hd600 was not a great match. I'd rather my hornet for those.post #21 of 407/20/13 at 6:02pmQuote:That's right. It is important to know the specs here. If the numbers are right, I'd get the Lightning since I already have the CLAS -dB and the SR 71BOriginally Posted by Keithpgdrb
I Agree. t first, I thought the lightening was just an intruder or st71 without a SE output. I think it has been designed specifically for the ortho cans personally. I don't know what the actual impedance is on the amp. Just that my hd600 was not a great match. I'd rather my hornet for those.post #22 of 407/20/13 at 8:52pmQuote:
My guess is should be fine driving iems/ciems (high or low impedance) as i tried some of ray's amps, eventhough they are powerful but it handles iems (including the sensitive one like shure 535) very smoothly (no hiss - black backgroud).post #23 of 407/21/13 at 4:56amQuote:
Thanks man. I guess I will get something from RSA but not now and I am not exactly sure which model. Anyway Ray's units seem very interesting and high quality. Maybe I will contact and ask his opinion too when I am ready to buy.post #24 of 407/21/13 at 5:25amQuote:
Ray has enough bandwidth for any music lovers, anyway you look at it, you'll be please with the results.post #25 of 407/21/13 at 7:36amQuote:
Yeah I noticed that it seems he covered pretty much every area. Out of curiosity, is it easy to order from Europe?post #26 of 407/21/13 at 7:46amQuote:
Best is to ask him, here is his email address and if you have additional questions, ask him. He's one of the easiest guys to reach and fun to talk to.
email@example.com #27 of 407/21/13 at 7:48amQuote:
Def. will ask him when I save some money again or there is a possibility that my ears are small for the customs I have been looking for, in that case I can buy something cheaper + rsa portable amp. We will see but soon or late I am going to contact him to learn what would be the best for my gear.
Btw, thank you a lot guys.post #28 of 407/22/13 at 6:02am
I will just throw this out there that the notion of impedance mismatching for lower or higher impedance headphones might be an overblown/over-emphasized consideration. I have now been in two prolonged situations where I had mismatching that if you listen to the threads around here on the subject would lead you to believe that if your equipment is mismatched your sound will be significantly impacted for the worse. First time round I had a Valhalla and HF2 combo for about a year before I sold them. Loved the sound quality and I could not at all detect the horrible effects of the impedance mismatching (except perhaps in one very specific case, but I couldn't confirm the link). Currently I am using my Auditor with almost a 10 ohm output impedance with my Denon D7000s which of course are low-impedance cans. The sound is stellar across the board, really poised, detailed and controlled up and down the frequencies. As far as I can tell these differences in performance due to impedance mismatching are measureable, but that doesn't mean they are audible. When I was first considering the Schiit Valhalla Jason and I exchanged several e-mails on the subject and he told me that he had several clients that were music producers and sound engineers that actually really liked the Valhalla with low-impedance cans.
There is also likely a difference depending on the specifics of the gear. For instance, as the frequency response of the D7000 is fairly tight and not all over the place it would likely not be as impacted by the impedance mismatching anyway, plus the characteristics of the amplification matter as well. All of that is to say that simply saying that a low-impedance headphone will sound worse on an amp that is higher in output impedance is not always going to be true, and even when it is true, just how much impact on sound quality are we really talking about here? I know this is only quasi-related to the original thread, but I felt it was important to mention as the thread adds more weight to the notion of impedance mismatching which I feel is more nuanced and less black and white then it is represented as being. Sorry for thread hijacking, my bad. I am actually considering getting a Ray Samuels design someday so that is why I read threads on his work such as this one.post #29 of 407/22/13 at 6:54ampost #30 of 407/22/13 at 9:48amThread Starter
In speaking with ray, it remains untested. But if anything like his other amps, it will be quite long. Hopefully he will post stats soon. I can run an amateur test when I return from a trip.
- RSA F-35 The Lightning Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship |... 13 seconds ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 1 minute ago
- › A little about the Campfire Audio Lyra 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › 2015 Central Florida Summer Meet @ LiveSoundWave in Orlando 8.1.2015 2 minutes ago
- › Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Appreciation & Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 3 minutes ago
- › Reversible AKG K701 bass mod 4 minutes ago
- › Why are HD700's ~$500 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by WayneWoondirts
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3