Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA F-35 The Lightning Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RSA F-35 The Lightning Review - Page 2

post #16 of 40
I often use Intruder to drive my hd800 (using HPP1 dac output or CLASdb). But it can drive almost anything without any problems. But i prefer to drive my T1 using Portatube. Sound smoother.
post #17 of 40

About Lightning.

 

Do you guys think it would pair nice with relatively high output c/iems? Over 100 impedance for example. I am about to get one that's why I am asking.

post #18 of 40

Interesting device Ray came up with, although the lightning is smaller I still prefer the Intruder, the DAC is a bonus to me.

post #19 of 40

I am split on this one. I'd be torn between the intruder and this one but would lean towards the intruder having more functions and working with more headphones and iems; in a way not taking chances with having a shortfall. It is almost like the 71B and Intruder, the line started getting blurred. Just my honest opinion.

post #20 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

I am split on this one. I'd be torn between the intruder and this one but would lean towards the intruder having more functions and working with more headphones and iems; in a way not taking chances with having a shortfall. It is almost like the 71B and Intruder, the line started getting blurred. Just my honest opinion.

I Agree. t first, I thought the lightening was just an intruder or st71 without a SE output. I think it has been designed specifically for the ortho cans personally. I don't know what the actual impedance is on the amp. Just that my hd600 was not a great match. I'd rather my hornet for those.
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

I Agree. t first, I thought the lightening was just an intruder or st71 without a SE output. I think it has been designed specifically for the ortho cans personally. I don't know what the actual impedance is on the amp. Just that my hd600 was not a great match. I'd rather my hornet for those.
That's right. It is important to know the specs here. If the numbers are right, I'd get the Lightning since I already have the CLAS -dB and the SR 71B
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

About Lightning.

Do you guys think it would pair nice with relatively high output c/iems? Over 100 impedance for example. I am about to get one that's why I am asking.

My guess is should be fine driving iems/ciems (high or low impedance) as i tried some of ray's amps, eventhough they are powerful but it handles iems (including the sensitive one like shure 535) very smoothly (no hiss - black backgroud).
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzic4life View Post


My guess is should be fine driving iems/ciems (high or low impedance) as i tried some of ray's amps, eventhough they are powerful but it handles iems (including the sensitive one like shure 535) very smoothly (no hiss - black backgroud).

Thanks man. I guess I will get something from RSA but not now and I am not exactly sure which model. Anyway Ray's units seem very interesting and high quality. Maybe I will contact and ask his opinion too when I am ready to buy.

post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Thanks man. I guess I will get something from RSA but not now and I am not exactly sure which model. Anyway Ray's units seem very interesting and high quality. Maybe I will contact and ask his opinion too when I am ready to buy.

Ray has enough bandwidth for any music lovers, anyway you look at it, you'll be please with the results.
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Ray has enough bandwidth for any music lovers, anyway you look at it, you'll be please with the results.

Yeah I noticed that it seems he covered pretty much every area. Out of curiosity, is it easy to order from Europe?

post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Yeah I noticed that it seems he covered pretty much every area. Out of curiosity, is it easy to order from Europe?

Best is to ask him, here is his email address and if you have additional questions, ask him. He's one of the easiest guys to reach and fun to talk to.

rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Best is to ask him, here is his email address and if you have additional questions, ask him. He's one of the easiest guys to reach and fun to talk to.

rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com

Def. will ask him when I save some money again or there is a possibility that my ears are small for the customs I have been looking for, in that case I can buy something cheaper + rsa portable amp. We will see but soon or late I am going to contact him to learn what would be the best for my gear.

 

Btw, thank you a lot guys.

post #28 of 40

I will just throw this out there that the notion of impedance mismatching for lower or higher impedance headphones might be an overblown/over-emphasized consideration. I have now been in two prolonged situations where I had mismatching that if you listen to the threads around here on the subject would lead you to believe that if your equipment is mismatched your sound will be significantly impacted for the worse. First time round I had a Valhalla and HF2 combo for about a year before I sold them. Loved the sound quality and I could not at all detect the horrible effects of the impedance mismatching (except perhaps in one very specific case, but I couldn't confirm the link). Currently I am using my Auditor with almost a 10 ohm output impedance with my Denon D7000s which of course are low-impedance cans. The sound is stellar across the board, really poised, detailed and controlled up and down the frequencies. As far as I can tell these differences in performance due to impedance mismatching are measureable, but that doesn't mean they are audible. When I was first considering the Schiit Valhalla Jason and I exchanged several e-mails on the subject and he told me that he had several clients that were music producers and sound engineers that actually really liked the Valhalla with low-impedance cans.

 

There is also likely a difference depending on the specifics of the gear. For instance, as the frequency response of the D7000 is fairly tight and not all over the place it would likely not be as impacted by the impedance mismatching anyway, plus the characteristics of the amplification matter as well. All of that is to say that simply saying that a low-impedance headphone will sound worse on an amp that is higher in output impedance is not always going to be true, and even when it is true, just how much impact on sound quality are we really talking about here? I know this is only quasi-related to the original thread, but I felt it was important to mention as the thread adds more weight to the notion of impedance mismatching which I feel is more nuanced and less black and white then it is represented as being. Sorry for thread hijacking, my bad. I am actually considering getting a Ray Samuels design someday so that is why I read threads on his work such as this one.

post #29 of 40

What's the battery life?

 

w

post #30 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post

What's the battery life?

w

In speaking with ray, it remains untested. But if anything like his other amps, it will be quite long. Hopefully he will post stats soon. I can run an amateur test when I return from a trip.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA F-35 The Lightning Review