or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 63

post #931 of 4215

I'd like to chime in. After owning Momentums, PSB 1 and 2, KEF 500, T51p, DT1350, Amperiors, P7, NAD HP50 and MDR-7520, I can honestly say that MDR-7520 is the best closed back headphone I have ever heard and it is a real keeper. I would rate NAD HP50 as second best and PSB 2 as third best.


Edited by musicisthekey - 11/18/13 at 4:25pm
post #932 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicisthekey View Post
 

I'd like to chime in. After owning Momentums, PSB 1 and 2, KEF 500, T51p, DT1350, Amperiors, P7, NAD HP50 and MDR-7520, I can honestly say that MDR-7520 is the best closed back headphone I have ever heard and it is a real keeper. I would rate NAD HP50 as second best and PSB 2 as third best. 

 

when u say 7520 is "the best" ... any genre in particular? can u elaborate alittle more y u like this so much....

i was thinking about this can a few months ago..:P

post #933 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicisthekey View Post
 

I'd like to chime in. After owning Momentums, PSB 1 and 2, KEF 500, T51p, DT1350, Amperiors, P7, NAD HP50 and MDR-7520, I can honestly say that MDR-7520 is the best closed back headphone I have ever heard and it is a real keeper. I would rate NAD HP50 as second best and PSB 2 as third best.

What about comfort differences on the top 2?

post #934 of 4215
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

Hi Peter, T51p is way more comfy......I made some comments in the "upcoming Beyerdynamic thread", HERE and HERE

Excellent. Thank you sir!

post #935 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicisthekey View Post
 

I'd like to chime in. After owning Momentums, PSB 1 and 2, KEF 500, T51p, DT1350, Amperiors, P7, NAD HP50 and MDR-7520, I can honestly say that MDR-7520 is the best closed back headphone I have ever heard and it is a real keeper. I would rate NAD HP50 as second best and PSB 2 as third best.

When you refer to the 7520 as the "best closed back headphone", does this mean you would without a doubt recommend them for portable use? I am highly interested in the 7520, but I must admit it is a bit hard to find.

post #936 of 4215

I usually listen to downtempo, nu jazz, deep house, chillout (lots of female vocals). I rarely listen to rock, metal, trance or drum'n'bass. I like the Sony's because they are the most natural sounding from the bunch. They are on a bright side of neutral and pair best with a slightly dark source like DX50. I actually was very pleased with that pairing. The highs are never piercing and the bass comes to play only when it is in the recording. At first, I thought they were bass light and I'm not a basshead by any means. I'm actually very sensitive to too much bass. Then I played Ott - Mr. Balloon Hands and, boy, did I get some bass. It was very textured but never overpowering. In addition, I found the soundstage very pleasing and not cramped in. I'm a strong believer and supporter of EQ. However, I don't find it necessary with the Sony's. Basically, I didn't find anything bothersome about their sound signature.

 

In terms of comfort, they are also the most comfortable headphones from the bunch. I would rate them on the same level as HD6XX series. I was a bit disappointed in the HP50's headband construction. Depending on your head shape, it may cause minor discomfort on the top of one's head. Also, usually I don't care much about headphone's aesthetics. If they sound good, I don't care if they make me look like Princess Leia. However, I would think twice before wearing HP50's in public. They look a bit dorky. Please don't get the reds. The color doesn't look like anything in the pictures. It is blood red and not burgundy red.

 

For portable use, they are a bit big. The drivers are 50mm plus the cable is way too long. For portable use, I would go with Momentums purely based on their size and design.


Edited by musicisthekey - 11/18/13 at 7:36pm
post #937 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3athangel View Post
 

When you refer to the 7520 as the "best closed back headphone", does this mean you would without a doubt recommend them for portable use? I am highly interested in the 7520, but I must admit it is a bit hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384837203&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+7560

 

amazon?

post #938 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicisthekey View Post
 

I usually listen to downtempo, nu jazz, deep house, chillout (lots of female vocals). I rarely listen to rock, metal, trance or drum'n'bass. I like the Sony's because they are the most natural sounding from the bunch. They are on a bright side of neutral and pair best with a slightly dark source like DX50. I actually was very pleased with that pairing. The highs are never piercing and the bass comes to play only when it is in the recording. At first, I thought they were bass light and I'm not a basshead by any means. I'm actually very sensitive to too much bass. Then I played Ott - Mr. Balloon Hands and, boy, did I get some bass. It was very textured but never overpowering. In addition, I found the soundstage very pleasing and not cramped in. I'm a strong believer and supporter of EQ. However, I don't find it necessary with the Sony's. Basically, I didn't find anything bothersome about their sound signature.

 

In terms of comfort, they are also the most comfortable headphones from the bunch. I would rate them on the same level as HD6XX series. I was a bit disappointed in the HP50's headband construction. Depending on your head shape, it may cause minor discomfort on the top of one's head. Also, usually I don't care much about headphone's aesthetics. If they sound good, I don't care if they make me look like Princess Leia. However, I would think twice before wearing HP50's in public. They look a bit dorky. Please don't get the reds. The color doesn't look like anything in the pictures. It is blood red and not burgundy red.

 

For portable use, they are a bit big. The drivers are 50mm plus the cable is way too long. For portable use, I would go with Momentums purely based on their size and design.

 

Can anyone help me...does the sony7506 sound like the beyer dt250? cos they look "similar" ..:P

post #939 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3athangel View Post
 

When you refer to the 7520 as the "best closed back headphone", does this mean you would without a doubt recommend them for portable use? I am highly interested in the 7520, but I must admit it is a bit hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384837203&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+7560

 

amazon?

 

Different headphone. Tho 7506 is very decent headphones as well.

post #940 of 4215

oppps....my mistake :P

 

u meant this.. 

 

i had the z1000 b4, if its almost the same, i will pass.

post #941 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

oppps....my mistake :P

 

u meant this.. 

 

i had the z1000 b4, if its almost the same, i will pass.

Trust me, it's not the same. I listened to them both and the 7520 is worlds better than the Z1000. The specs are very similar, but they sound quite different. One of the biggest differences is the bass presence and soundstage, which is done much much better on the 7520. The Z1000 has rolled-off bass, the 7520 doesn't.

post #942 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicisthekey View Post
 

I usually listen to downtempo, nu jazz, deep house, chillout (lots of female vocals). I rarely listen to rock, metal, trance or drum'n'bass. I like the Sony's because they are the most natural sounding from the bunch. They are on a bright side of neutral and pair best with a slightly dark source like DX50. I actually was very pleased with that pairing. The highs are never piercing and the bass comes to play only when it is in the recording. At first, I thought they were bass light and I'm not a basshead by any means. I'm actually very sensitive to too much bass. Then I played Ott - Mr. Balloon Hands and, boy, did I get some bass. It was very textured but never overpowering. In addition, I found the soundstage very pleasing and not cramped in. I'm a strong believer and supporter of EQ. However, I don't find it necessary with the Sony's. Basically, I didn't find anything bothersome about their sound signature.

 

In terms of comfort, they are also the most comfortable headphones from the bunch. I would rate them on the same level as HD6XX series. I was a bit disappointed in the HP50's headband construction. Depending on your head shape, it may cause minor discomfort on the top of one's head. Also, usually I don't care much about headphone's aesthetics. If they sound good, I don't care if they make me look like Princess Leia. However, I would think twice before wearing HP50's in public. They look a bit dorky. Please don't get the reds. The color doesn't look like anything in the pictures. It is blood red and not burgundy red.

 

For portable use, they are a bit big. The drivers are 50mm plus the cable is way too long. For portable use, I would go with Momentums purely based on their size and design.

Well, the long cable is not really an issue if you just get a shorter aftermarket cable. It uses standard 3.5mm jacks, so cables are very easy to find. That's what I did, for 5 bucks.

 

Otherwise I second your opinion on the 7520, although I'm not sure if I would call them bright. But to put it differently, they're certainly not dark and they're very very clear sounding. I was very impressed by the clarity and I also tested many of the headphones you tried, which all sounded veiled compared to the 7520.

 

In terms of music genres, I listen to rock, alternative, modern jazz, electronic (that includes EDM, but also more downtempo forms of electronic music), reggae and some classical music. It all sounds very good on the 7520. Very detailed too, towards the analytical side, but never without losing its musicality. I especially think guitars sound gorgeous on the 7520 and the 7520 has great imaging too.

 

And in terms of comfort they're the most comfortable headphones I've tried so far. Only issue I have is that the earcups aren't super deep, so my ears touch the drivers a bit. This can be *fixed* by thickening the pads by putting some cotton balls (stretched out that is) underneath, but I noticed that it made the bass boomier, so I've decided to not mod it and just leave it as it is. I only notice the discomfort on my left ear after about half an hour, and then another half an hour later it's mostly gone as I guess my ear gets used to it (and it's just very minor discomfort).

 

Anyway, I highly recommend you give the 7520 a try if you can get your hands on one (they're rare here in Europe).

 

Oh, and in terms of portability, they don't fold flat or anything, but they're not too bulky either to bring with you. And it isolates pretty good. Just make sure to get a shorter after-market cable. And I like the understated utilitarian looks, but that's just me :)


Edited by starfly - 11/18/13 at 11:51pm
post #943 of 4215

ok...i m gonna walk into a sonyshop n check this out...thanks guys

post #944 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post
 

 

I'm considering doing a detailed comparison review between these three in the future. Would anyone be interested? 

 

I'd like to see a series of three selfies! :smile_phones:

 

I've almost decided on the P7s, but I'm just a little bit worried about how they'll look on my dinky little peanut head.

post #945 of 4215

So here I am, sitting down and switching between the headphones, carefully listening with different songs and taking lots of notes while I'm doing it on my Nexus 7. What happens? The motherf... hrrm, sorry - the DARN tablet updates the notes app in the background, it is shut down at my fingers and nothing is saved. :mad: 

 

So unfortunately, I now have to start from scratch. But bear with me! ;) 


Edited by Lan647 - 11/19/13 at 10:37am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around