or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 125

post #1861 of 4215

They're great, but too uncomfortable for long hours in the studio. Other suggestions (only between those mentioned by OP)

post #1862 of 4215
H 6 or P7? Which one is more "natural" sounding? xD reviews overloaded me haha
post #1863 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimano45 View Post
 

They're great, but too uncomfortable for long hours in the studio. Other suggestions (only between those mentioned by OP)

 

My Answer:


For studio, definitely the Focal Spirit Professional. It's more neutral than any of the headphones listed by MH. Out of the one's listed by MH I would personally go for the H6. They sounded pretty well balanced when I tried them out. I just didn't think they had enough resolution or dynamic slam for a $400 headphone.

post #1864 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

H 6 or P7? Which one is more "natural" sounding? xD reviews overloaded me haha


P7 sounds very trebly, peaky, exciting. I think it can be a too much at times. H6 is better balanced IMO.

 

In terms of natural sound I would say either the 7520 or Spirit Pro is better than any of the cans listed here (out of the one's I've listened too). 7520 has really good timbre with acoustic and small ensemble music. SP sounds natural with just about anything.


Edited by M-13 - 3/16/14 at 4:39pm
post #1865 of 4215
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

Eager to hear MacedonianHero's thoughts on Mikros 90 :D

Should be out be this upcoming weekend. :smile:

post #1866 of 4215
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

 

My Answer:


For studio, definitely the Focal Spirit Professional. It's more neutral than any of the headphones listed by MH. Out of the one's listed by MH I would personally go for the H6. They sounded pretty well balanced when I tried them out. I just didn't think they had enough resolution or dynamic slam for a $400 headphone.

I'm trying to get a pair of the Professionals and Classics....we'll see how that goes. :o

post #1867 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimano45 View Post

They're great, but too uncomfortable for long hours in the studio. Other suggestions (only between those mentioned by OP)

Seems like you have only heard the original senn hd25 (not the aluminum version).

The senn hd25 alu is more comfortable than most headphones mentioned here. The Focal spirit pro has a very good sound but the fit really let it down.

The H6 is bad especially if you're going to mix drums, bass and etc. Otherwise it's a fantastic pair of headphone for music listening and comfort.
post #1868 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

Seems like you have only heard the original senn hd25 (not the aluminum version).

The senn hd25 alu is more comfortable than most headphones mentioned here. The Focal spirit pro has a very good sound but the fit really let it down.

The H6 is bad especially if you're going to mix drums, bass and etc. Otherwise it's a fantastic pair of headphone for music listening and comfort.

I get your point, but my ears don't work with on-ears frown.gif
post #1869 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

My Answer:


For studio, definitely the Focal Spirit Professional. It's more neutral than any of the headphones listed by MH. Out of the one's listed by MH I would personally go for the H6. They sounded pretty well balanced when I tried them out. I just didn't think they had enough resolution or dynamic slam for a $400 headphone.

I've heard a lot about them and they appear to be really suited to my needs, but my ears are on the larger side. My ears are on the larger side, and since the Pro's cups are a bit small, I am worried about the fit and comfort. And since they are only available online here in Norway, I can't try them on.
post #1870 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I'm trying to get a pair of the Professionals and Classics....we'll see how that goes. :o

Hey buddy, thanks for this write up, nice to see some competent reviews from a name I recognize. I purchased the HP50's based on yours and many other solid reviews but they just didn't make the cut for me. I went in to Best Buy/Magnolia tonight and listened to the P7's and thought they were pretty nice! Very comfortable with a mostly balanced sonic character. Some fun factor there as well but something was missing for me. Not sure what it was, maybe with a more controlled listening environment I could get a better opinion developed.

 

I also tried the Momentums which I liked apart from the top end and fit issues, The K550's which were too anemic, some 380 pros (not bad for the price), and the PSB's which I could not assess due to the left driver being out, but I will say they were a helluva a lot more comfortable than the HP50's.

 

I wanted to ask if you have had any time with the 1540's? From what I've read I'm assuming they will be too bass heavy with too much treble roll off to hit the mark for me. I liked the 940's apart from comfort issues. The female vocals could be somewhat nasally and bass was shy but for a sub $300 headphone the detail retrieval was fantastic and soundstage was solid for a closed can. Any direction you could steer me in would be appreciated. Below are my impressions of the HP50 if that lends any perspective to my tastes. Thanks man!

 

Quote:
I sold my Shure SRH 940’s to try something different and was intrigued by all the positive reviews and praise these have received. I was hoping it would be an upgrade and it some ways it was but more of a downgrade for my sonic and fit preferences. The HP50 does have a very liquid and effortless sonic character with nice dark space between the notes and instruments. The highs are a bit rolled off but the overall presentation offers enough clarity that it’s only a minor annoyance. My only real complaint with the sound is that they seem somewhat lacking in dynamics. Going through a variety of genres including artists such as Pink Martini, Brad Paisley, Hilary Hahn, Eilen Jewell, Lorde, Rob Zombie, Ella Fitzgerald, Merle Haggard, Imelda May, and many others, I found the HP50 to be unexciting or somewhat flat in rendering the dynamic crescendo’s, decrescendo’s, that is typical of the tracks I used to demo and am familiar with in other headphones and speakers.

The deal killer here is the fit and design. Like the Shure SRH940’s NAD has this terrible flat headband design that instead of following the natural curve of a human head was clearly created for Frankenstein’s square shaped head. The result is preasure unevenly distributed and centered on your heads high point. The HP50's even being lighter than the 940's are actually more uncomfortable probably because of the thinner headband. Additionally the insufficient clamping design that impacts the bottom of each ear cup creates a terrible seal that regardless of adjustments I’ve made has significant changes to the SQ every time I turn my head.

At the end of the day I found the HP50 to be a neutral headphone with an enjoyable sound signature albeit uninvolving, with design issues that impact sound and comfort to the point of defeat. These are heading back unfortunately and I will continue my search. 
post #1871 of 4215
For those who have auditioned the headphones. How does Mikros compare to DT1350 or the M500? I would say M100 because I have it, but I am sure they are miles different.
post #1872 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonv View Post

For those who have auditioned the headphones. How does Mikros compare to DT1350 or the M500? I would say M100 because I have it, but I am sure they are miles different.
Wrote post...browser crashed...post gone...

In a nutshell...they are very, very similar, but the Mikros is only $60.

Edit: The two that are similar are the DT1350 and the Mikros. Duh.
Edited by elvergun - 3/18/14 at 1:59pm
post #1873 of 4215
Against the M500, the Mikros has around the same amount of bass, perhaps less; more mids and around the same or more treble. The Mikros wins easily in detail retrieval, bass depth, and its midrange. The M500 is more comfortable, looks better, has a slightly larger soundstage, and is easy to get a good seal.
post #1874 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

Against the M500, the Mikros has around the same amount of bass, perhaps less; more mids and around the same or more treble. The Mikros wins easily in detail retrieval, bass depth, and its midrange. The M500 is more comfortable, looks better, has a slightly larger soundstage, and is easy to get a good seal.

 

That's a good summary. Except that I feel the M500's definitely have more bass (or possibly mid-bass). M500's sound more colourful to me, but the balanced nature of the 90's plus their resolution makes them rather mesmerizing.

post #1875 of 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

That's a good summary. Except that I feel the M500's definitely have more bass (or possibly mid-bass). M500's sound more colourful to me, but the balanced nature of the 90's plus their resolution makes them rather mesmerizing.
Yeah, colorful is a good word. I though the M500 was pretty much neutral before the Mikros. The Mikros is very blatant, very honest, very in your face. It emphasizes or keeps neutral the places in the frequency response other headphones struggle with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around