or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 115

post #1711 of 4207
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Well, I think you deserve just a bit of credit for one of the best threads on head-fi!

:beerchug:

Thanks. :o

post #1712 of 4207
short update: the b&o h6 arrieved an hour ago. the sound is promissing so far. will keep you updated with my impressions and comparisons to the nad and the kef.
post #1713 of 4207
Please give the ML Mikros 90 a listen. They are very rewarding. wink.gif
post #1714 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

short update: the b&o h6 arrieved an hour ago. the sound is promissing so far. will keep you updated with my impressions and comparisons to the nad and the kef.

Looking forward to your impressions. Not many H6 owners/lovers around here.

post #1715 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

Looking forward to your impressions. Not many H6 owners/lovers around here.

 

I think a lot of people are just judging the brand rather than the product. 

post #1716 of 4207

(I just realized after posting that this is a very long post!  So added in a sort of 'cliffs note' questions that I bolded at the bottom if you don't feel like reading it all.)

 

Hi guys, first post here so be gentle.  I almost made an impulse purchase, decided to wait and research, which led me to this site, which led me to this very informative thread.  But of course from a newbie's perspective there is a lot going on here that is hard to take in.  So let me start from the beginning...

 

I do some travel and almost pulled the trigger on a set of Bose QC-15.  Then I hesitated and now I'm questioning whether I really need NC or not.  My travel is not overly frequent, maybe 4 or 5 roundtrip flights a year.  Some trips are relatively long (Japan) while others are only a few hours.  My background in head-fi is extremely limited.  I've had a couple of gaming specific sets and the only true set I use for home theater at late night hours is a Pioneer SE-A1000.  The more I started to think about this purchase the more I realized that maybe I would be better off getting a good set of closed isolation cans that would be good enough for air travel but also potentially an upgrade over the Pioneers.

 

What factors are most important to me?

 

(Looking for an alternative to Bose QC-15 / other NC sets so isolation is definitely important though not listed below.)

 

1) Comfort - The primary reason I'm looking at a new set is for extended time travel use but would also like an all around use around the house.

2) Portability - I don't want these to be a nuisance when traveling.

3) Sound Quality - My hearing isn't the greatest (I wear hearing aids but will not when listening) so being the most accurate is not the most important.  I also don't care that much about bass.  Great if it's there but ok if it's just average.

4) Price - I'm not going to say 'price is not an object' but my budget is pretty wide.  I would go up to $400 if I knew that purchase would be exactly what I'm looking for but obviously have no problem going to $150.  So $150-$400 with a leaning towards the low end is my preference here.

 

I do have an order in at Amazon for the blue AT M50X but after looking closer at the weight I think that's probably not the set I'm looking for.

 

Here are some contenders I've noted thus far... any opinions from the experts would be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to throw in your own suggestions as well!  Unfortunately I have not found a good place to demo a wide range of cans in the Nashville area so if anyone reads this who lives in Middle TN and knows a good place to demo please let me know!!

 

Bose QC15 - Seem great for portability and comfort.  But do not like that NC is always active.  Seems like for my means this may not be the set for me.

 

NAD HP50 - These seem heavy to me.  Per Amazon they're over 2 pounds.  Could be an error.

 

Sony MDR-1R - Seems like a decent value at the low end of my price range but concerned by the portability rating in the OP.

 

Sennheiser Momentum - OP had me once they were compared favorably in comfort to the QC15, sound is rated higher, but the portability of 2.5 is a concern.  Not really sure what that means exactly.  2.5 pounds seems heavy for prolonged use on a flight though.  Too bad because this is the one I was immediately drawn to!

 

Honestly guys I could keep going with this list but maybe it would be easier if I asked a question...

 

Based on what you understand that I'm looking for, what would you choose in lieu of the Bose QC15?  Light, portable, not necessarily NC but good for travel that might also work for home use if your only current set were Pioneer SE-A1000.

 

Appreciate any feedback you may provide.


Edited by Fingolfin269 - 3/3/14 at 4:07pm
post #1717 of 4207

I say the Sony 1R is a good choice for you. I also found the H6 very comfortable, but the sonics being worth $400 was questionable for me personally.

post #1718 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

I say the Sony 1R is a good choice for you. I also found the H6 very comfortable, but the sonics being worth $400 was questionable for me personally.

The isolation didn't seem great on the 1R though... I know the post didn't mention isolation as a qualifier but that would be important for me flying. Unfortunately, isolation and long-term comfort don't go well together with over-ears/on-ears. I'd honestly recommend a decent pair of isolating iems for when you do travel ($100) and then put the rest toward buying a pair of headphones for around the house that are exactly what you want. 

post #1719 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

The isolation didn't seem great on the 1R though... I know the post didn't mention isolation as a qualifier but that would be important for me flying. Unfortunately, isolation and long-term comfort don't go well together with over-ears/on-ears. I'd honestly recommend a decent pair of isolating iems for when you do travel ($100) and then put the rest toward buying a pair of headphones for around the house that are exactly what you want. 


Good point! Haha :D 
I was only thinking of comfort/sound

post #1720 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

The isolation didn't seem great on the 1R though... I know the post didn't mention isolation as a qualifier but that would be important for me flying. Unfortunately, isolation and long-term comfort don't go well together with over-ears/on-ears. I'd honestly recommend a decent pair of isolating iems for when you do travel ($100) and then put the rest toward buying a pair of headphones for around the house that are exactly what you want. 

Thanks for the tip there.  You're right that isolation is one of the main qualifiers, I probably should have added that to my criteria!  I've taken iems off the table for me though.  I wear in canal hearing aids and to be honest I look forward to finally having nothing shoved in my ears when wearing headphones!

post #1721 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Good point! Haha :D 
I was only thinking of comfort/sound

 

If the poster is not worried about isolation, I'd agree with your recommendation! The 1R was certainly comfortable and sound more than serviceable. 

post #1722 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin269 View Post
 

Thanks for the tip there.  You're right that isolation is one of the main qualifiers, I probably should have added that to my criteria!  I've taken iems off the table for me though.  I wear in canal hearing aids and to be honest I look forward to finally having nothing shoved in my ears when wearing headphones!


How about the new 2013 Beats Studio? (yeah I just said that folks :evil:)

post #1723 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


How about the new 2013 Beats Studio? (yeah I just said that folks :evil:)

I always said I'd never be caught dead wearing those things.  I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

 

With that said, I'll try (almost!) anything once. :)  A positive there is I can easily demo locally which can't be said for most of the rest.


Edited by Fingolfin269 - 3/3/14 at 4:25pm
post #1724 of 4207

NAD HP50 - These seem heavy to me.  Per Amazon they're over 2 pounds.  Could be an error.

 

this baby is light...should be referring to the packed weight :P 

Those planar big heavy cans are around 500grams. about 1lb weight.

post #1725 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin269 View Post
 

I always said I'd never be caught dead wearing those things.  I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

 

With that said, I'll try (almost!) anything once. :)  A positive there is I can easily demo locally which can't be said for most of the rest.


I used to hate everything that was Beats by Dre and railed against every headphone they made. The new studio was quite surprising actually. Haha. I think I would have bought one if they didn't have a battery inside. This aspect bugs me. If they had a passive version without NC and a battery then I might buy one. I'm serious. Haha. But in your case the NC would help with the plane ride, so it might work out.

 

I say go try them out to see what the heck I'm talking about.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around