or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 93

post #1381 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

So a straight line would be ideal then?

 

You obviously need to do more listening and less reading...

I hear very good, that is why I wrote what I wrote. I hear very good because I do not listen to loudness oriented types of music; when I listen to music the maximum level of loudness for me is low level loud as opposed to mid level loud or even worse, heavy metal loud. That means that my hearing is not damaged and I can clearly hear 6dB drop.

That's not the point MH is trying to make.
I think what he's trying to say is that headphones don't always sound like they measure.

 

Here's a question:

Does a U-shape dip that spans a range of 600hz really count as a drop? It seems to me to be more like the designed frequency response, as I would normally associate dips or spikes to span a range of 10-20hz.

post #1382 of 4207
I believe if blind test was here, it would have solved this problem smily_headphones1.gif
post #1383 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I'm curious to try the T51p, but like you, I'm not really an on-ear kinda guy either. But the M500s are something special. Only if they isolated better....

 

 

Have you tried the Thinksound On1? In my search for headphones its the only one that has dethroned my M500s. Maybe its the real wood enclosure but it has the most natural sounding voices of all the ones I tried. Its also the same price as the M500 to boot.

post #1384 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

My local authorized Apple Store is really quite... Sometimes you can't find a single person in there probably due to the less population here (around 415 000 ++)

So am I the only one who find the B&O h6 to sound bassy, specially the mid bass? @.@

If you heard the H6 at the Apple Store, yes it would sound bassier than it really is, because the Apple store artificially boosts the bass and treble to "enhance" the sound for average consumers who are impressed by that sort of thing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

I sure don't know how everyone is hearing a "U-shaped" signature with the P7......vocals and other things midrangy are right there where they should be, not distant at all. I don't see a drooped midrange on the graph either.

I guess it's arguably "U-shaped" only because the deep bass and upper treble are somewhat elevated compared to what is considered neutral. But they also sound nothing like conventional U-shaped headphones because there is no recession of the mids (or anything else); in fact, the upper mids are more forward and aggressive than neutral. Most U-shaped headphones also have their treble emphasis in the 8-10k area whereas the P7 is pretty tamed in this area but instead has extra sparkle extending well above 10k, which is great.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Really close...don't want to give it all away (but after a full weekend with the HP50s, it has been determined). :o 

Looking forward to your conclusion... and congrats on making Contributor!

post #1385 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

If you heard the H6 at the Apple Store, yes it would sound bassier than it really is, because the Apple store artificially boosts the bass and treble to "enhance" the sound for average consumers who are impressed by that sort of thing.

 

The phones are connected to iPods, so I always make sure the EQ is set at flat.

post #1386 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

If you heard the H6 at the Apple Store, yes it would sound bassier than it really is, because the Apple store artificially boosts the bass and treble to "enhance" the sound for average consumers who are impressed by that sort of thing.

Not at my Apple Stores. I'm able to take the cable and plug it into my own device. They're all usually just attached to one of their iPods for demo'ing. You can then adjust bass/treble as desired.

I did demo the H6 this weekend and really liked them for the most part, save for the tame (neutral) bass. I do crave a bit more than offered, though it did really well with vocals, was super comfortable, and had a decent soundstage. It also didn't do too well with speedier tracks, but would definitely reach for them for certain genres and/or artists. For $400 though, I want something that would be more inclusive. For me, the P7s come very close to this all-arounder role.
post #1387 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post


Have you tried the Thinksound On1? In my search for headphones its the only one that has dethroned my M500s. Maybe its the real wood enclosure but it has the most natural sounding voices of all the ones I tried. Its also the same price as the M500 to boot.

Sonuva! I really don't need to be hunting another headphones to demo. tongue.gif

Can't deny the reviews look really good on these. redface.gif
post #1388 of 4207
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

 

 

Have you tried the Thinksound On1? In my search for headphones its the only one that has dethroned my M500s. Maybe its the real wood enclosure but it has the most natural sounding voices of all the ones I tried. Its also the same price as the M500 to boot.

 

Not yet. They weren't on my radar until you mentioned them. :smile: Those are some mighty strong words if you prefer them to the excellent M500s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

If you heard the H6 at the Apple Store, yes it would sound bassier than it really is, because the Apple store artificially boosts the bass and treble to "enhance" the sound for average consumers who are impressed by that sort of thing.

 

I guess it's arguably "U-shaped" only because the deep bass and upper treble are somewhat elevated compared to what is considered neutral. But they also sound nothing like conventional U-shaped headphones because there is no recession of the mids (or anything else); in fact, the upper mids are more forward and aggressive than neutral. Most U-shaped headphones also have their treble emphasis in the 8-10k area whereas the P7 is pretty tamed in this area but instead has extra sparkle extending well above 10k, which is great.

 

Looking forward to your conclusion... and congrats on making Contributor!

Funny I actually found the H6s less bassy at the Apple Store due to all the noise. But at home and on my portable E11, they certainly bring the bass when the recording calls out for it.

 

Finished my ranking tables and now putting together my notes on all these new headphones. Thanks...I wonder if something special comes with the Contributor status? :p


Edited by MacedonianHero - 1/28/14 at 6:16pm
post #1389 of 4207
Thread Starter 

NVM.


Edited by MacedonianHero - 1/28/14 at 6:57pm
post #1390 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Not at my Apple Stores. I'm able to take the cable and plug it into my own device. They're all usually just attached to one of their iPods for demo'ing. You can then adjust bass/treble as desired.

I did demo the H6 this weekend and really liked them for the most part, save for the tame (neutral) bass. I do crave a bit more than offered, though it did really well with vocals, was super comfortable, and had a decent soundstage. It also didn't do too well with speedier tracks, but would definitely reach for them for certain genres and/or artists. For $400 though, I want something that would be more inclusive. For me, the P7s come very close to this all-arounder role.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

The phones are connected to iPods, so I always make sure the EQ is set at flat.

In Apple Stores here, the iPod and the headphones are connected to something mysterious underneath the counter. Everything sounds mid-bassy with grainy treble. At least this is true for the Eaton Centre store.

post #1391 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

 

In Apple Stores here, the iPod and the headphones are connected to something mysterious underneath the counter. Everything sounds mid-bassy with grainy treble. At least this is true for the Eaton Centre store.

Funny I have the same sound impression of the source + amplifier + headphones set ups in the Future stores in Toronto. 

post #1392 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorin View Post
 

Funny I have the same sound impression of the source + amplifier + headphones set ups in the Future stores in Toronto. 

Not sure about Future Shop but the set ups at Best Buy (Bay and Dundas) allow you to plug the headphones directly into your own player.

post #1393 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

Not sure about Future Shop but the set ups at Best Buy (Bay and Dundas) allow you to plug the headphones directly into your own player.

Should be the same since Best Buy owns Future Shop in Canada.

Btw, if you look at the plug in's at BBY, they do disappear into the back as well. They can be amped.
post #1394 of 4207
Thread Starter 

I've never found anything "untoward" with headphones the Apple Store (including the one at the Eaton Centre) or Futureshop. Just my 2 cents...

 

Update: I've written up the Monster DNA Pro mini-review, so just the B&O H6s and NAD HP50s to go. Hopefully within a week or so I'll have it all done. 

post #1395 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Update: I've written up the Monster DNA Pro mini-review, so just the B&O H6s and NAD HP50s to go. Hopefully within a week or so I'll have it all done. 

 

Where?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around