or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 26 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 26 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 242

post #3616 of 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Just uploaded the most excellent Oppo PM-3s on my original post.

 

Just wonderful headphones and kudos to Oppo!!!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

After trying all of the headphones on your list (via my AK120 and Ipod touch 5g) and rolling the dice on the PM3's without hearing them (Oppo said just send em back if ya dont like em) I'm glad i did so and judging by your list i kinda figured they'd win ya over! :) keep up the good work btw!

post #3617 of 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

 

 

i think the original momentums at their current price point are an absolute steal 

 

*provided: 1) your ears are small enough for them to be truly over ear and 2) your comfortable with that cross between on and over ear*

 

if thats the case, then the original momentums would be a great and mellow choice (i quite like the ivory colour, but the pair i had was black and red >.<"

i think its more on the head shape more than anything

 


 

Thats ok ,i know all the caveats associated with getting momentum.Thats not what i am asking here ,neither i am asking about its sq or sonic signature .All i am asking about whether momentum can provide the kind of details i had mentioned earlier ,whether you have experienced hearing such details(artist taking breath blah blah) when using momentum.

 

Thank you for the reply.

post #3618 of 3628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puretfp View Post
 

After trying all of the headphones on your list (via my AK120 and Ipod touch 5g) and rolling the dice on the PM3's without hearing them (Oppo said just send em back if ya dont like em) I'm glad i did so and judging by your list i kinda figured they'd win ya over! :) keep up the good work btw!

 

They are quite good IMO and punch well above their weight class! Thanks!

post #3619 of 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

They are quite good IMO and punch well above their weight class! Thanks!


Have you had a chance to hear the KEF M500 by chance? I have moved to the KEF and I rather like the signature. Just curious if you or others have had some experience with them.

post #3620 of 3628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 


Have you had a chance to hear the KEF M500 by chance? I have moved to the KEF and I rather like the signature. Just curious if you or others have had some experience with them.

 

Update #2 in my original listing. ;)

post #3621 of 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

Update #2 in my original listing. ;)

Who would think to look there! So funny. Surprised the M500 landed so far down the list, but being subjective I'm sure opinions will vary. I had the HP50, but I found it less than portable; and I found it missing too much air and it made me feel like the HD 650, just enough missing to be noticed, but not obvious all of the time. Cheers.

post #3622 of 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 


Have you had a chance to hear the KEF M500 by chance? I have moved to the KEF and I rather like the signature. Just curious if you or others have had some experience with them.

 

I'm a big fan of the M500. Very neutral and engaging sound for an on ear.

post #3623 of 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post
 

 

I'm a big fan of the M500. Very neutral and engaging sound for an on ear.


I agree. In another thread somebody else was posting how the Sony MDR 1A according to Goldenears and Tyll measurements should sound cleaner and better in the bass department, but I currently have both headphones and there is no way on earth that the 1A sounds cleaner in the bass/lower midrange. The M500 is a pretty solid performer to my ears also.

post #3624 of 3628

The Sony MDR 1A is very overrated. It's not even a hifi device IMO. Agreed, with what you said, I don't understand how it got to be such a recommended phone by the press, and I didn't think it was all that great at all to be honest. 

post #3625 of 3628

It makes sense that most v-shaped headphones will find themselves in a uphill battle with audiophiles. But professional reviewers now recognize that absolute neutrality, and resolving every last detail isn't the holy grail of headphone signatures either, and nor should it be.

 

The Sony MDR-1A succeeds better than most at giving higher fidelity sound without treating bass like it's a ogre. It's a fine balancing act to make a headphone sit between too boring or too boomy, but they pulled it off, and in a good looking and comfortable package to boot.

post #3626 of 3628
It is very nice looking, no doubt.
post #3627 of 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
 

It makes sense that most v-shaped headphones will find themselves in a uphill battle with audiophiles. But professional reviewers now recognize that absolute neutrality, and resolving every last detail isn't the holy grail of headphone signatures either, and nor should it be.

 

The Sony MDR-1A succeeds better than most at giving higher fidelity sound without treating bass like it's a ogre. It's a fine balancing act to make a headphone sit between too boring or too boomy, but they pulled it off, and in a good looking and comfortable package to boot.

 

I own the 1A and have kept it because over all I really like many things about it, but the bass is essentially loose and this shows up with bass centric music. If you listen to Steely Dan, well it will sound excellent in the bass as their recordings tends to be very clean and a little polite with bass. Throw some Deadmau5 on the 1A and you will hear the bass bloom. On the KEF, while not perfect, the bass bloom is significantly better controlled.

post #3628 of 3628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post

Who would think to look there! So funny. Surprised the M500 landed so far down the list, but being subjective I'm sure opinions will vary. I had the HP50, but I found it less than portable; and I found it missing too much air and it made me feel like the HD 650, just enough missing to be noticed, but not obvious all of the time. Cheers.

Lol, sorry I couldn't resist. wink.gif

With regards to the M500s, if they isolated more and leaked less, they would have been higher. But I really did enjoy their balanced sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 26 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around