Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 226

post #3376 of 3389

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobnorwegian View Post
 

 

What is the inside height and width of the Momentum M2 over ears, in millimeter (mm)? Tried google, but did not find it...

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobnorwegian View Post
 

 

Yes, they look both nice, and probably sound good also. I would probably not purchase them for office or portable use, as the sound isolation is said to be poor.

 

Also the ear pads are ridiculously shallow, they look shallower than a Sennheiser HD201, and I find that headphone extremely uncomfortable. It's the single thing putting me off the MM400.

post #3377 of 3389
Mm400 actually has very good isolation imo, just a touch below the p7 which is the best isolation I've heard in a portable headphone if not a closed phone in general. The pads are shallow though, I'll admit that!
They do have a layer of cloth then an air bubble covering the drivers though, it feels like your ears are touching a soft trampoline rather than the hard drivers themselves.
post #3378 of 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
 

 

Also the ear pads are ridiculously shallow, they look shallower than a Sennheiser HD201, and I find that headphone extremely uncomfortable. It's the single thing putting me off the MM400.

 

Yes, I audtioned them an hour ago. My right ear was red after i tried the MM400. The pads are too shallow and slightly too small. But the headphones themselves have a nice built and light weight. The clamping force is also on the middle, making a good seal easy to get. For me the mm400 sealed better than Nad HP50,since the clamping force on the HP50 was on the top and did not follow the neck/cheek below the ears that well. So there was sort of a gap below the pads. The P7 had the best sealing, but those cups were slightly small and uncomfortable. The cups are squared, but its not possible to tilt or twist those pads to make a more comfortable fit. V moda m100, Focal One S and Classic were also too small.  

post #3379 of 3389

 still missing here the hd25, pm3 and Focal Spirit Professional/pro

post #3380 of 3389
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen4joy View Post
 

 still missing here the hd25, pm3 and Focal Spirit Professional/pro

 

I'm gonna most likely get a pair of PM3s in the next month or so to trial (curiosity has definitely got the better of me). But the others, I'm certainly open to a week's loaner if anyone cares to lend me a set to add to this listing. :o

post #3381 of 3389

Philips Fidelio L2 too...

post #3382 of 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen4joy View Post
 

 still missing here the hd25, pm3 and Focal Spirit Professional/pro


I own both of the focal's,

 

Spirit classic and Spirit professional

 

I prefer the way the classics sound like,

 

The other one is more punchy.

 

Great sounding headphones that's all.

post #3383 of 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by lltfdaniel View Post
 


I own both of the focal's,

 

Spirit classic and Spirit professional

 

I prefer the way the classics sound like,

 

The other one is more punchy.

 

Great sounding headphones that's all.


oooh both focals? I heard the pros to be very neutral sounding, I prefer the look of the pros, that spackled finish is quite nice, but the classics definitely have a more luxurious appearance.

 

my main gripe is who is focal testing these headphones on? children? (the spirit one (not s) slipped over my 5 year nephew's ears (but hes 5, and for everyone else in my family, the spirit one is like a cross between over and on ear).

 

I really think they need to do some more research on the dimensions and the human ear anatomy... the spirit one and (the pros sounded good with my short demo of em) sound great, I think the styling is nice too, (wish they made them lower profile on the side, the pivots stick out way too much).  isolation is superb, the pads themselves are nice padded as well. and their very stable on the head too!

 

they need to take notes from sennheiser and revamp their lineup like the momentum 2.0s

post #3384 of 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 


oooh both focals? I heard the pros to be very neutral sounding, I prefer the look of the pros, that spackled finish is quite nice, but the classics definitely have a more luxurious appearance.

 

my main gripe is who is focal testing these headphones on? children? (the spirit one (not s) slipped over my 5 year nephew's ears (but hes 5, and for everyone else in my family, the spirit one is like a cross between over and on ear).

 

I really think they need to do some more research on the dimensions and the human ear anatomy... the spirit one and (the pros sounded good with my short demo of em) sound great, I think the styling is nice too, (wish they made them lower profile on the side, the pivots stick out way too much).  isolation is superb, the pads themselves are nice padded as well. and their very stable on the head too!

 

they need to take notes from sennheiser and revamp their lineup like the momentum 2.0s

 

I can give Focal a tip, free of charge! Dimensions minimum: 60 mm x 38 mm (h x w) and preferred: 62 mm x 40 mm. If they want to stick with more circular shapes the 55x45 of One S should be increased to 60/62 x 45 mm.

post #3385 of 3389
Agreed^, really liked how both of them (classic and pro) sounded when I tried them but the size of the cups made them uncomfortable so I bought the denon mm400's instead after auditioning them. No regrets there though, the denons were more expensive but better built and better sounding imo.
post #3386 of 3389

FSP get much more comfortable as the pads break in. I can listen to them all day without issue. Sound is the best I've heard. They're also folding and fairly portable. Build quality looks a little suspect though.

post #3387 of 3389

I think you should add the MDR-1A too.

 

Going back and forth between the Momentum 2.0, I seriously cannot believe how flat the M2 is. The MDR-1A is just more joyful in every way. I've slowly come to realize how flawed my audiophile expectations were when choosing headphones for their "flatness". What I can respect though, is putting transparency, first and foremost, because really; more transparency is always better!

 

Transparency, by which I mean sound clarity.

 

I definitely don't think transparency should mean the perfect neutral signature. That's what I think is flawed with the M2.

Now saying that, there's plenty more than goes into the portable headphone equation than just sound.

 

But I realize now, what some reviewers said; about Sennheiser solidifying the Momentum range into a particular segment from their other headphones. I'm now seeing those segments and more. Just on sound signature though; the two distinct directions the Momentum was trying to do; being a engaging neutral, is flawed imo.

 

Sony has it right, the MDR-1A is no less transparent than the M2 but the direction is clear, V shaped and fun. M2 tried to do the best of both worlds and succeeds at neither. (Again this is only about it's sound btw, nothing else) I have a feeling the PM3 will beat the M2 because judging on portable headphones that are more transparent... the PM3 will do the neutral signature with more transparency, and if that's what audiophiles are judging, it'll win.

 

I've just about thrown in my audiophile towel actually, because I'm enjoying the MDR-1A a lot more than what those elitists would deem a sin; a coloured V shaped bass boosted signature.

 

But as I said, I will look fondly upon those audiophiles in the pursuit of audio transparency in a headphone. For me, I just can't enjoy music on neutral mix engineer's headphones, that's pretty much what it comes down too, and that's probably been said by lots of people already. But it's a message I want to reinforce with headphone shoppers. Choose a side of the coin first, then go looking for the headphone.


Edited by Kabonfaiba - Yesterday at 9:53 am
post #3388 of 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
 

I think you should add the MDR-1A too.

 

Going back and forth between the Momentum 2.0, I seriously cannot believe how flat the M2 is. The MDR-1A is just more joyful in every way. I've slowly come to realize how flawed my audiophile expectations were when choosing headphones for their "flatness". What I can respect though, is putting transparency, first and foremost, because really; more transparency is always better!

 

Transparency, by which I mean sound clarity.

 

I definitely don't think transparency should mean the perfect neutral signature. That's what I think is flawed with the M2.

Now saying that, there's plenty more than goes into the portable headphone equation than just sound.

 

But I realize now, what some reviewers said; about Sennheiser solidifying the Momentum range into a particular segment from their other headphones. I'm now seeing those segments and more. Just on sound signature though; the two distinct directions the Momentum was trying to do; being a engaging neutral, is flawed imo.

 

Sony has it right, the MDR-1A is no less transparent than the M2 but the direction is clear, V shaped and fun. M2 tried to do the best of both worlds and succeeds at neither. (Again this is only about it's sound btw, nothing else) I have a feeling the PM3 will beat the M2 because judging on portable headphones that are more transparent... the PM3 will do the neutral signature with more transparency, and if that's what audiophiles are judging, it'll win.

 

I've just about thrown in my audiophile towel actually, because I'm enjoying the MDR-1A a lot more than what those elitists would deem a sin; a coloured V shaped bass boosted signature.

 

But as I said, I will look fondly upon those audiophiles in the pursuit of audio transparency in a headphone. For me, I just can't enjoy music on neutral mix engineer's headphones, that's pretty much what it comes down too, and that's probably been said by lots of people already. But it's a message I want to reinforce with headphone shoppers. Choose a side of the coin first, then go looking for the headphone.


I have plenty of cans but I still enjoy the MDR-1A as well. it's pleasant and fun. I like your post. But to find out what you actually really enjoy, one needs to try and LISTEN to their music on different headphones. Very often only specs and experiences are compared that can differ from each persons "baseline". 

 

At the moment the MDR-1A is one (if not the) best closed headphones I listen to - comfy like hell and non fatiguing. However, at home I love to listen to the HE-560....

post #3389 of 3389
well said i think Flat signature is over rated
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around