Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 23 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 23 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 30

post #436 of 2763

I personally still prefer the Momentum to the M500 - they both have quite different sound presentation. 

The M500 somehow makes a 'speaker like' sound that is distant, also I didn't like the ever so slightly honky sound to some vocals. 

post #437 of 2763
I have tried the m500 and I don't like it. It is very comfortable to wear but it's sound doesn't match up to its asking price. The original momentum and m100 sounded much better to me.

I will agree if one were to pay for its build, comfort and looks though.
post #438 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

 

We'll see. For me personally, sound isolation is an important requirement as well as I travel on airplanes regularly and would like to be able to keep out airplane noise as much as possible (I don't want an active noise cancelling headphone, I just want one closed over/on-ear headphone for extended listening. IEMs get uncomfortable after a while). And so far most people seem to agree that the Momentum isolates a bit better than the M500. But yeah, I'll see for myself in testing :)

 

Forget M500 on airplanes, I can tell you that right away :/

post #439 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

I have tried the m500 and I don't like it. It is very comfortable to wear but it's sound doesn't match up to its asking price. The original momentum and m100 sounded much better to me.

I will agree if one were to pay for its build, comfort and looks though.

 

:blink:

post #440 of 2763

Sennheiser Momentum vs KEF M500 comparison

 

Equipment used: Laptop > Fiio E07K DAC/AMP > headphone. All music is FLAC, CD quality (16-bit 44.1 KHz). EQ is flat.

 

Disclaimer: I’m not under the illusion that I have perfect hearing and can discern every little detail. When I was a bit younger I visited plenty of parties/concerts and there were several times I’d come home with ringing ears, i.e. I probably damaged my hearing a bit over the years :) Also, my point of reference in terms of sound is my Shure SE530 IEM with my iPod classic (Rockboxed). So my ears are used to a warm sound with forward mids. The purpose of this comparison test is for me to decide which one sounds better to my ears, in terms of overall sound signature, but also in terms of detail and physically speaking in terms of comfort and sound isolation (although I can live with a bit less isolation if the sound itself is really good).

 

Initial impressions

 

Comfort: M500 is more comfortable on ears. Barely notice it’s there. However, when shaking my head, I feel like they could fall off. Momentum a bit less comfortable, they don’t fully engulf my ears, making them more on-ear than over-ear. It takes a bit of fidgeting each time I put them on before they sit well. However, they do stay put and I could almost headbang without having to fear them falling off.

 

Sound difference: they have a distinctly different sound. KEF M500 is more open sounding, a bit brighter. Momentum sounds a bit darker. M500 seems to have a wider soundstage, the Momentum a bit more intimate. Not sure which sound I like more and will have to do more detailed listening to decide that. It could just be my imagination, but the M500 seems to retrieve ever so much more detail on certain tracks I’m listening to (such as Sigur Rós – Ny Batteri, the live version from Inni).

 

Also the treble is a bit more pronounced on the M500 vs. the Momentum. So compared to the Momentum the sound is a bit bright I guess. For me that really takes some getting used to, since I’m coming from the Shure SE530 IEM, which is anything but a bright IEM.

 

In terms of vocals, so far I like the way the vocals sound on the Momentums a bit more than on the M500. On the M500 it sounds a bit thin compared to the Momentum (this is very relative of course and again keep in mind that I’m used to the Shure house sound).

 

As far as bass is concerned (I’m not really a basshead, but I do like it to be there when the music calls for it), I need to do some more A/Bing on that. They both seem to have plenty of it though :)

 

Isolation: The Momentum appears to isolate you from outside noise a bit better than the M500. Will have to do further testing on this though.

 

Anyway, these are just my initial impressions. Will update it some more over the coming days. Will probably decide by Monday which one I’ll keep :)


Edited by starfly - 9/26/13 at 8:36am
post #441 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

Anyway, these are just my initial impressions. Will update it some more over the coming days. Will probably decide by Monday which one I’ll keep :)

So far it sounds like it's not going to be an easy choice.

post #442 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

I have tried the m500 and I don't like it. It is very comfortable to wear but it's sound doesn't match up to its asking price. The original momentum and m100 sounded much better to me.

I will agree if one were to pay for its build, comfort and looks though.

I simply disagree.
post #443 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post


I simply disagree.

 

And I agree on you disagreeing about his disagreement on the general agreement 

:D

post #444 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

So far it sounds like it's not going to be an easy choice.

 

You're quite right on that one. On some tracks the M500 just sounds amazing, so much detail. And on other tracks the Momentum sounds great. I have the impression that technically the M500 might be better, but I still have to get used to the sound. Especially vocals sound sort of thin/hollow compared to the Momentum.

 

For instance, right now I'm listening to Pink Floyd - Dogs (from the Animals album). David Gilmour's voice sounds fuller on the Momentum, but then all the instruments themselves sound crisper on the M500. I want Momentum's vocals with M500 instruments :)

 

I also love the imaging and soundstage of the M500. It's definitely a step up from what I'm used to (the Shure SE530). BUT, and this is a big BUT, sometimes instruments sound a bit too sharp, it pierces my ear. I wonder if this will go away with a bit of burn in. I've always been a bit sensitive to piercing sounds in my ears :)

 

Anyway, the listening continues :)

 

Edit: Oh, and I think I like the bass on the M500 a bit more than on the Momentum. It's tighter, snappier and extends very deep without being overpowering to the rest of the frequency spectrum. The Momentum bass seems a bit more 'lazy'.


Edited by starfly - 9/26/13 at 10:01am
post #445 of 2763
Those positives you just listed + the COMFORT level on the M500s is what made me prefer it over the Momentums. Still, don't get me wrong, I actually liked the Momentums just not as much as the M500s.

BTW, I ordered some Blue On-ear Momentums just to see if they are a tad more comfortable and if they carry the same sound signature/quality. Hopefully they will shine just like their "Over-ear" counterpart...

(also ordered AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru Edition headphones... have never tried an AIAIAI can before so I don't even know what to expect.)
post #446 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Those positives you just listed + the COMFORT level on the M500s is what made me prefer it over the Momentums. Still, don't get me wrong, I actually liked the Momentums just not as much as the M500s.

BTW, I ordered some Blue On-ear Momentums just to see if they are a tad more comfortable and if they carry the same sound signature/quality. Hopefully they will shine just like their "Over-ear" counterpart...

(also ordered AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru Edition headphones... have never tried an AIAIAI can before so I don't even know what to expect.)

 

Did you experience the M500 to become a bit less sharp with some burn-in? Or did the sound pretty much stay the same the whole time? Either way, tonight I'll leave both headphones playing through my laptop on a long tracklist with all sorts of music on repeat, to help the burn-in. Will leave it playing tomorrow during daytime as well and then when I come home from work perhaps they might sound every so slightly different (or it'll just be a placebo effect, I dunno).

post #447 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Those positives you just listed + the COMFORT level on the M500s is what made me prefer it over the Momentums. Still, don't get me wrong, I actually liked the Momentums just not as much as the M500s.

BTW, I ordered some Blue On-ear Momentums just to see if they are a tad more comfortable and if they carry the same sound signature/quality. Hopefully they will shine just like their "Over-ear" counterpart...

(also ordered AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru Edition headphones... have never tried an AIAIAI can before so I don't even know what to expect.)

 

TMA headphones tend to be warm. They don't sound bad, but they aren't for everyone by a long shot. 

post #448 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post
 

 

And I agree on you disagreeing about his disagreement on the general agreement 

:D

 

lol

post #449 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

 

You're quite right on that one. On some tracks the M500 just sounds amazing, so much detail. And on other tracks the Momentum sounds great. I have the impression that technically the M500 might be better, but I still have to get used to the sound. Especially vocals sound sort of thin/hollow compared to the Momentum.

 

For instance, right now I'm listening to Pink Floyd - Dogs (from the Animals album). David Gilmour's voice sounds fuller on the Momentum, but then all the instruments themselves sound crisper on the M500. I want Momentum's vocals with M500 instruments :)

 

I also love the imaging and soundstage of the M500. It's definitely a step up from what I'm used to (the Shure SE530). BUT, and this is a big BUT, sometimes instruments sound a bit too sharp, it pierces my ear. I wonder if this will go away with a bit of burn in. I've always been a bit sensitive to piercing sounds in my ears :)

 

Anyway, the listening continues :)

 

Edit: Oh, and I think I like the bass on the M500 a bit more than on the Momentum. It's tighter, snappier and extends very deep without being overpowering to the rest of the frequency spectrum. The Momentum bass seems a bit more 'lazy'.

 

It's funny, I think the KEF's best at vocals, at least compared to the momentum.  The momentum is kind of like the Focal Spirit One with more bass (looser bass).  The vocals are extremely intimate .  Nice for R&B and Jazz but not so much for rock.

post #450 of 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post
 

 

It's funny, I think the KEF's best at vocals, at least compared to the momentum.  The momentum is kind of like the Focal Spirit One with more bass (looser bass).  The vocals are extremely intimate .  Nice for R&B and Jazz but not so much for rock.

 

The M500 has very natural sounding vocal reproduction, and not in your face. The Momentum (and Shure's) have a treble and upper mid recession which makes vocals sound thicker and mellower, nice and euphonic at times but in the end just not neutral enough to my taste. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 23 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around