Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 23 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 23 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 135

post #2011 of 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post
 

Agree mostly but the HP50 cannot be better than the P7. I would rank it 3rd or 4th. My biggest gripe is that the bass from HP50 just sounds unnatural to me.


I think most reviews give the nod to HP50, not just this one. I have never heard the P7, I would like to hear I just haven't bought it yet and not sure i need too. I never drink the kool-aid for any product, I only know that I enjoy the HP50 and wish it was more portable so I could use it in more places. I figure that is why I have spent big money on iem's though.

post #2012 of 2717
Quote:

NAD VISO HP50

  • Biggest disappointment of the bunch. (If only for the reason that I could not test them at all.)
  • Right pad sealed fine against my head, but the left pad could not seal at all. Only the top of the pad touched my head, whereas the bottom half was a good cm away from touching skin. I am unsure if this was a problem with that particular unit, or my head.
  • I was told that they simply don't fit me, but I find that odd. It's the first headphone I've ever had this problem with. 

 

Fit and build is the one major complaint you'll find over in the HP50 thread, so I doubt it was the unit. Having had the HP50 for a little over 20 days I can assure you that they don't have to be defective to fit poorly on some head shapes, especially if you don't spend time playing with different positions on the head, different cup arm extensions (for example I find they fit best with the headband almost floating a bit and the arms extended pretty far). They seem to have been designed for a very specific fit that is unlikely to translate well to a wide sample of the population.

 

The sound quality is (my perspective obviously) very impressive, but the frustration I've experienced with the overall build means I'm currently debating whether or not to return them before my 30 days are up. The fact that I'm even considering keeping them should highlight my very positive opinion of the sound quality because I am generally unhappy with the physical properties. In addition I have some build quality concerns: I've got some creaking, inconsistency with how the extension arms operate on each side, and they generally seem very fragile as a result of being built to have such low weight.

 

They sound great, so if someone put that sound in a more normal headphone build it would be an instant top competitor from my perspective. I looked at the Spirit Pro (similar sound going by graphs and general reports), but they feature a different ergonomic issue, specifically those little Momentum-sized cups that don't fit around my ears at all.

post #2013 of 2717
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen4joy View Post
 

i think you do unjust to the beyerdynamic dt1350. everyone know that they are one of the best and recommended portable 
headphones you put them on 9th place. 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-111-portable-headphones-reviewed-creative-aurvana-live-2-added-02-25-14

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I have owned several f the HP's listed hear and have heard most of them and think MH's list is pretty darn accurate and fair. the DT1350 while nice is about where I would put it in ranking when all areas of ranking are taken into consideration.

 

Yep, I'm with Michael here...the DT1350s sound pretty good, but over the past few years other headphone manufacturers have brought up their game. As well, the pain on my ears after only 20 minutes was a major detractor here. They were the worst on my head with regards to comfort...throw in the fact that I have since heard 3 more pairs since I owned them and all sounded fairly different from each other (not a good thing).

post #2014 of 2717
Has anyone following this thread tried the V-Moda XS? I am curious about how they would compare with the Mikros 90 and Beyerdynamic Dt-1350 in particular. I've read some comments about the XS, but mostly the comparisons were with other V-Moda headphones, which I have no listening experience with.
post #2015 of 2717
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBiotek View Post

Has anyone following this thread tried the V-Moda XS? I am curious about how they would compare with the Mikros 90 and Beyerdynamic Dt-1350 in particular. I've read some comments about the XS, but mostly the comparisons were with other V-Moda headphones, which I have no listening experience with.

I'd really like to hear the XS as well. I've asked for a review sample, but haven't heard back. :( In other news, I do have a pair of K545s on their way to me on loan from dweaver...I'm eager to give them a listen. 

post #2016 of 2717
I should have sent my pair of Momentum on ears as well LOL, but I am using them while the K545 are away. I also have a pair of SRH1540 coming in that I will be paying for on Friday.

I am not sure how the MOE stack up against the original Momentum as I only had the original Momentum a short time before I returned them to the store as I just wasn't that impressed. But the MOE while not perfect has been a fun and enjoyable portable. It has a bit more bass than the K545 and fuller lower mids making it a fuller sounding headphone. With slightly peaking lower treble making it occasionally sound a bit hot. But it is a very relaxing headphone I can listen to for hours without fatigue, something I also appreciated with the K545.

The K545 wins for comfort opinion and slightly for isolation The MOE is pretty darn comfy for an on ear though but at the cost of isolation (better than the Mods M80 though).
post #2017 of 2717
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I should have sent my pair of Momentum on ears as well LOL, but I am using them while the K545 are away. I also have a pair of SRH1540 coming in that I will be paying for on Friday.

I am not sure how the MOE stack up against the original Momentum as I only had the original Momentum a short time before I returned them to the store as I just wasn't that impressed. But the MOE while not perfect has been a fun and enjoyable portable. It has a bit more bass than the K545 and fuller lower mids making it a fuller sounding headphone. With slightly peaking lower treble making it occasionally sound a bit hot. But it is a very relaxing headphone I can listen to for hours without fatigue, something I also appreciated with the K545.

The K545 wins for comfort opinion and slightly for isolation The MOE is pretty darn comfy for an on ear though but at the cost of isolation (better than the Mods M80 though).

 

Really appreciate the opportunity to hear the K545s! Should be fun...thanks again!

post #2018 of 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBiotek View Post

Has anyone following this thread tried the V-Moda XS? I am curious about how they would compare with the Mikros 90 and Beyerdynamic Dt-1350 in particular. I've read some comments about the XS, but mostly the comparisons were with other V-Moda headphones, which I have no listening experience with.

 i currently own the xs and actually posted a review up on youtube

 

would love to hear your thoughts, the channel is really new! and i'm still working out the kinks

 

post #2019 of 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I am not sure how the MOE stack up against the original Momentum as I only had the original Momentum a short time before I returned them to the store as I just wasn't that impressed. But the MOE while not perfect has been a fun and enjoyable portable. 

IMO, the original Momentum and MOE is pretty different! The MOE is more towards aggressive than the more balanced, typical Senneheiser sound signature of original Momentum. I would go for MOE in terms of price vs performance. Orignal Momentum faces a lot of competitors [like those compared by MH in this thread], MOE does sound less clean and more colored compared to original momentum though...

post #2020 of 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I'd really like to hear the XS as well. I've asked for a review sample, but haven't heard back. :( In other news, I do have a pair of K545s on their way to me on loan from dweaver...I'm eager to give them a listen. 


I owned the XS and wasn't too impressed. They were comfortable but the ear pads are very small so they will put some pressure on some parts of your ear. Also i don't have a big head and i did have a gap on my head when i wore it. Mine did not fit like some people here and on youtube where you can barely see a gap. The XS also suffers from the same thing that the M100 suffered from in that they get hot when you wear them. My ears sweat with these on. Must be the leather they use as the same thing happened to the over ear M100.

 

The sound was pretty good. Not the best but very good for the price. Built like a tank. But i felt the V shaped signature was too extreme for me. The voices sounded really natural and the bass was ok but those two things dominated the sound for me. The mids are weak for me. I would still recommend these on comfort alone if they fit you better than they did me.

post #2021 of 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post


I owned the XS and wasn't too impressed. They were comfortable but the ear pads are very small so they will put some pressure on some parts of your ear. Also i don't have a big head and i did have a gap on my head when i wore it. Mine did not fit like some people here and on youtube where you can barely see a gap. The XS also suffers from the same thing that the M100 suffered from in that they get hot when you wear them. My ears sweat with these on. Must be the leather they use as the same thing happened to the over ear M100.

The sound was pretty good. Not the best but very good for the price. Built like a tank. But i felt the V shaped signature was too extreme for me. The voices sounded really natural and the bass was ok but those two things dominated the sound for me. The mids are weak for me. I would still recommend these on comfort alone if they fit you better than they did me.

The mids on the xs is very good. You may be referring to the lack of mid bass hump on the xs.
post #2022 of 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post


The mids on the xs is very good. You may be referring to the lack of mid bass hump on the xs.


Perhaps. You own the Thinksound On1s? How do you compare the  XS to that?

post #2023 of 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post


Perhaps. You own the Thinksound On1s? How do you compare the  XS to that?

The on1 is still on its way to me so I can't say anything yet.
post #2024 of 2717
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 


I owned the XS and wasn't too impressed. They were comfortable but the ear pads are very small so they will put some pressure on some parts of your ear. Also i don't have a big head and i did have a gap on my head when i wore it. Mine did not fit like some people here and on youtube where you can barely see a gap. The XS also suffers from the same thing that the M100 suffered from in that they get hot when you wear them. My ears sweat with these on. Must be the leather they use as the same thing happened to the over ear M100.

 

The sound was pretty good. Not the best but very good for the price. Built like a tank. But i felt the V shaped signature was too extreme for me. The voices sounded really natural and the bass was ok but those two things dominated the sound for me. The mids are weak for me. I would still recommend these on comfort alone if they fit you better than they did me.

Interesting...thanks for your thoughts!

post #2025 of 2717

I'm hearing the opposite of a v shaped signature on the XS.  The midrange sounds slightly more forward than the bass and the treble.  Vocals really pop on these little cans.  I'm listening to Indie Rock which may be the reason why the XS doesn't sound v-shaped to me.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 23 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around