Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 150

post #2236 of 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 


Which one is your main portable now?

I have a related question.  If the HP50 ranks as your number 1 closed/portable, why sell this one?  What are you using for the same purpose?

post #2237 of 2518
/\

Yeah, I'm curious about that as well...
post #2238 of 2518
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpride View Post
 

I have a related question.  If the HP50 ranks as your number 1 closed/portable, why sell this one?  What are you using for the same purpose?

They are #1 due to their sound quality, but in terms of real portability and noise isolation, I find the T51p's the better fit (and the sound quality isn't too far off). So my portable rig is the A200p --> T51p. 

post #2239 of 2518
Ah, OK thx for clarifying.

BTW, great eval thread. Thx again...
post #2240 of 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

They are #1 due to their sound quality, but in terms of real portability and noise isolation, I find the T51p's the better fit (and the sound quality isn't too far off). So my portable rig is the A200p --> T51p. 

 

 

Thanks. I came to that same conclusion myself after owning both. Except I use my T51p bare with my X5.

post #2241 of 2518

I'm looking for something to buy next and these are currently on my list:

B&W P5 220€

B&W P7 399€

NAD Viso HP50 ~280€

BO H6 399€

KEF M500 300€

 

I currently have IE800, Momentum over-ear and newest model of Skullcandy Aviator. Out of those the Aviator sounds best without any EQ. I don't do EQ. Aviators have very clean mids and highs which I like. But at high volumes they can get a bit screechy.

 

IE800 is is basically what I'm looking for but with much less bass. Aviators and Momentum have a good amount of bass to my tastes. I listen to all genres of music so the headphones cannot be a one trick pony.

 

One thing I also appreciate in a headphone is quality of materials and portability. I don't find the Momentum to be really portable as they don't collapse or fall flat. Materials though are top notch.

 

I'm kinda leaning towards B&W P5 for the construction and I read that they have a mid-centric sound I might like. I'm unable to test-drive any of the headphones so I'm doing extensive research into these headphones. How does the P7 compare to P5 and H6?

post #2242 of 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvere View Post

I'm looking for something to buy next and these are currently on my list:
B&W P5 220€
B&W P7 399€
NAD Viso HP50 ~280€
BO H6 399€
KEF M500 300€

I currently have IE800, Momentum over-ear and newest model of Skullcandy Aviator. Out of those the Aviator sounds best without any EQ. I don't do EQ. Aviators have very clean mids and highs which I like. But at high volumes they can get a bit screechy.

IE800 is is basically what I'm looking for but with much less bass. Aviators and Momentum have a good amount of bass to my tastes. I listen to all genres of music so the headphones cannot be a one trick pony.

One thing I also appreciate in a headphone is quality of materials and portability. I don't find the Momentum to be really portable as they don't collapse or fall flat. Materials though are top notch.

I'm kinda leaning towards B&W P5 for the construction and I read that they have a mid-centric sound I might like. I'm unable to test-drive any of the headphones so I'm doing extensive research into these headphones. How does the P7 compare to P5 and H6?
Sonically speaking I think the HP50 will suite you best as it hits more of your sonic preferences. It has powerful but not over powering bass, wonderful midrange, and treble that is never strident. But based on your portability requirements is not very portable.

The BW P7 will give your portability and clarity but is more V shaped sonically. But the midrange while a bit more recessed is still very clear.

The BO H6 is similar to the P7 sonically but has more energy up top and had potential for sibilance in my testing. It folds flat and has good materials but seems a bit fragile to me.

The M500 is very linear sonically and has portability and comfort. But it easily falls off the head and is not very isolating so may not offer you the real portability your looking for.

The P5 is the least matching to your sonic preferences in my opinion as it is muffled in comparison to the rest of these headphones.
post #2243 of 2518
I don't find the H6 to be sibilance thought @.@
post #2244 of 2518
I will say it depends on your specific situation. I love the HP50, presently selling a sealed pair(shameless plug). I find myself using the T51p more for portability. Both sound great. I prefer the sound of the HP50 but it is close.
post #2245 of 2518
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post


Sonically speaking I think the HP50 will suite you best as it hits more of your sonic preferences. It has powerful but not over powering bass, wonderful midrange, and treble that is never strident. But based on your portability requirements is not very portable.

The BW P7 will give your portability and clarity but is more V shaped sonically. But the midrange while a bit more recessed is still very clear.

The BO H6 is similar to the P7 sonically but has more energy up top and had potential for sibilance in my testing. It folds flat and has good materials but seems a bit fragile to me.

The M500 is very linear sonically and has portability and comfort. But it easily falls off the head and is not very isolating so may not offer you the real portability your looking for.

The P5 is the least matching to your sonic preferences in my opinion as it is muffled in comparison to the rest of these headphones.

Agreed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy812 View Post

I will say it depends on your specific situation. I love the HP50, presently selling a sealed pair(shameless plug). I find myself using the T51p more for portability. Both sound great. I prefer the sound of the HP50 but it is close.

And agreed here too!

post #2246 of 2518
Just heard the H6 in a local store and I don't know what to think about it. To my ears it's -exactly- the same as the aviators but with less bass. Build quality didn't impress me either. I think I'm going I to go blind and get the P7 from Amazon. Does anyone know where I could get it cheaper than 399€ in Europe?

They also had M500 but the use of synthetic leather and plastics made me cross it off my list.
Edited by Syvere - 6/22/14 at 3:59am
post #2247 of 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvere View Post

Just heard the H6 in a local store and I don't know what to think about it. To my ears it's -exactly- the same as the aviators but with less bass. Build quality didn't impress me either. I think I'm going I to go blind and get the P7 from Amazon. Does anyone know where I could get it cheaper than 399€ in Europe?

They also had M500 but the use of synthetic leather and plastics made me cross it off my list.

 

a lot of the money is based on the design and brand for the b6, if i had to price it based on sound alone it would be about 250-300$. the the design is really absolutely stunning (the silver and the brown one i mean)

 

it didn't seem flimsy in my hand ( was it rugged no, but i think for that kinda design, its meant to be lightweight and stylish (like many more stylish, pricery clothing which is good looking, light/ thin, seems like they skimped out on the overall practicality. but very very eye catching.

 

i'm surprised you said the m500 has plastic (from all accounts its mostly made out of aluminum!) the earpads and the headband are synthetic leather though so thats for sure. i think if you really wanted leather one of the few portables i know that use that is the p5, p7, momentum over ears, and the h6

post #2248 of 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

 

a lot of the money is based on the design and brand for the b6, if i had to price it based on sound alone it would be about 250-300$. the the design is really absolutely stunning (the silver and the brown one i mean)

 

it didn't seem flimsy in my hand ( was it rugged no, but i think for that kinda design, its meant to be lightweight and stylish (like many more stylish, pricery clothing which is good looking, light/ thin, seems like they skimped out on the overall practicality. but very very eye catching.

 

i'm surprised you said the m500 has plastic (from all accounts its mostly made out of aluminum!) the earpads and the headband are synthetic leather though so thats for sure. i think if you really wanted leather one of the few portables i know that use that is the p5, p7, momentum over ears, and the h6

 

Don't take me wrong the M500 was okay, but there were very little plastic parts under the ear pads. Not an issue but I want my next purchase to be absolute premium. H6 also had the ear cups made of plastic but otherwise it seemed nice. The demo unit didn't look very good obviously and the leather parts were in abysmal condition.

 

I already have Momentum so I think I'll try to get a good price on the P7. A work mate of mine is bringing his P5 to work tomorrow so I can demo those.

post #2249 of 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post

 

i'm surprised you said the m500 has plastic (from all accounts its mostly made out of aluminum!) the earpads and the headband are synthetic leather though so thats for sure. i think if you really wanted leather one of the few portables i know that use that is the p5, p7, momentum over ears, and the h6

 

Yup, my m500's are all aluminum (no plastic). Earpads are extremely comfy (leather or not). Yes, the headband is wrapped with synthetic leather.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvere View Post

 

Don't take me wrong the M500 was okay, but there were very little plastic parts under the ear pads. Not an issue but I want my next purchase to be absolute premium. H6 also had the ear cups made of plastic but otherwise it seemed nice. The demo unit didn't look very good obviously and the leather parts were in abysmal condition.

 

Oops - I hadn't looked there!

post #2250 of 2518

How would you guys compare the B&W p7 to the senn HD600s since they are in a similar price range?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around