Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 143

post #2131 of 2516
Just received my T51p. I have some listening to do before I post comments except for initial impressions. Box,stickers, manual a big mixture of 32 and 60 ohm impedance, not sure what they are but they are easy to drive. My sticker on the headphones shows the correct model T51p and then the serial number.

The box is small and is only large enough for the nylon carry case. Nice case with Velcro closing strap, a perfect size to carry in a back pack. One word really describes the box and carry case, efficient. There is no wasted space.

Viewing the HP's on first gaze..they look like quality. Metal, durable and well designed. Excellent eye appeal.

First listen....maybe 15 minutes. Very nice sound, deep bass not boomy but very present in a good way. Treble even, not harsh in the least, smooth upper end. Mids are blended well, easy to distinguish but not overpowering.

Good initial impression overall! I need more listening time to see if they can match up in sq against the NAD.
post #2132 of 2516
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy812 View Post

Just received my T51p. I have some listening to do before I post comments except for initial impressions. Box,stickers, manual a big mixture of 32 and 60 ohm impedance, not sure what they are but they are easy to drive. My sticker on the headphones shows the correct model T51p and then the serial number.

The box is small and is only large enough for the nylon carry case. Nice case with Velcro closing strap, a perfect size to carry in a back pack. One word really describes the box and carry case, efficient. There is no wasted space.

Viewing the HP's on first gaze..they look like quality. Metal, durable and well designed. Excellent eye appeal.

First listen....maybe 15 minutes. Very nice sound, deep bass not boomy but very present in a good way. Treble even, not harsh in the least, smooth upper end. Mids are blended well, easy to distinguish but not overpowering.

Good initial impression overall! I need more listening time to see if they can match up in sq against the NAD.

Congrats! I still prefer the HP50's sound, but the T51p's are very good headphones in their own right!

post #2133 of 2516
Thread Starter 

Well, I just added the great sounding K545s to the listing in case anyone is interested:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-16-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

post #2134 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

... in case anyone is interested:

 

You are a master of hyperbole :) 

post #2135 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Well, I just added the great sounding K545s to the listing in case anyone is interested:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-16-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

 

Nice write-up once again MC! The 545's sound very nice. If I could justify having them, they'd be nice to have. Then again, since when have I needed any justification lol!

 

Btw, I now also have some DT1350's in my possession (since yesterday). Initial impressions are that they sound stunning (even without burn in). I was a bit worried due to what you said here in your T51P review:

Quote:
Sonically, they improve on the DT1350s in every way. Not a night and day change, but a refinement that's apparent across the board. The bass is tighter (and not was wooly as the DT1350s could sound), the mids are upfront and natural and the treble has a very nice shimmer to it, but never metallic or fatiguing (again like the DT1350s could be from time to time on specific recordings).

 

It's strange because so far I am feeling exactly the opposite of what you said above regarding the two! I think that the T51P's (with 60 hours of burn in) do sound really great, but occasionally I hear a bit of congestion/boominess due to the larger mid-bass, and sometimes they sound just a touch less transparent to me as well (relative say to the mikros 90's or the dt1350's), and I find myself thinking about that at times. But with DT1350's, I am more or less just listening with slack jawed amazement at how good they sound. So go figure!

 

Comfort-wise there is no competition - the T51P's are amazingly comfy, and as an overall package they are very good. I will have to work on the DT1350's comfort a bit to see if I'll be okay with them. 

 

Anyway, that's where I am at right now. I'm going to now let the DT1350's get 50 hours of burn in before I do some serious comparisons. And then I have some decisions to make!

post #2136 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Nice write-up once again MC! The 545's sound very nice. If I could justify having them, they'd be nice to have. Then again, since when have I needed any justification lol!

 

Btw, I now also have some DT1350's in my possession (since yesterday). Initial impressions are that they sound stunning (even without burn in). I was a bit worried due to what you said here in your T51P review:

 

It's strange because so far I am feeling exactly the opposite of what you said above regarding the two! I think that the T51P's (with 60 hours of burn in) do sound really great, but occasionally I hear a bit of congestion/boominess due to the larger mid-bass, and sometimes they sound just a touch less transparent to me as well (relative say to the mikros 90's or the dt1350's), and I find myself thinking about that at times. But with DT1350's, I am more or less just listening with slack jawed amazement at how good they sound. So go figure!

 

Comfort-wise there is no competition - the T51P's are amazingly comfy, and as an overall package they are very good. I will have to work on the DT1350's comfort a bit to see if I'll be okay with them. 

 

Anyway, that's where I am at right now. I'm going to now let the DT1350's get 50 hours of burn in before I do some serious comparisons. And then I have some decisions to make!

You should attempt to mix and match components between the T51p and DT1350 (T51p band + DT1350 cans with T51p pads) and create a FrankenBeyer.

post #2137 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ckpupp3t View Post
 

You should attempt to mix and match components between the T51p and DT1350 (T51p band + DT1350 cans with T51p pads) and create a FrankenBeyer.

 

Lol! My T51P's have a "DT1350" label, and my DT1350's appear to be a hybrid of the original and the facelift versions, so since I already have two sets of FrankenBeyer's, why not! :rolleyes:

 

I sure wish that the "T51P-comfort + DT1350-sound" FrankenBeyer existed though - it would be EPIC! But sadly, I can't be the one to attempt it... way to costly. 

 

I should do a bit of searching though to see if anyone else has tried the T51P pads on the DT1350's. Unfortunately they are stuck on with adhesive, so it's not a simple thing to try. The clamping is different between the two as well. I can maybe deal with that on the DT1350's by stretching them out a bit, but I really wouldn't want to do anything negative to the SQ.

 

Hmm!

post #2138 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ckpupp3t View Post
 

You should attempt to mix and match components between the T51p and DT1350 (T51p band + DT1350 cans with T51p pads) and create a FrankenBeyer.


That won't help. I have tried the velour pads which are more comfy and have more padding on the DT1350s when I had them and they were still uncomfortable.

 

Its the clamping that is terribly strong on the 1350s. Also the split headband is also quite uncomfortable too, puts awkward pressure in some spots while on your head. The 51ps correct everything wrong with the 1350s and even the sound. The 1350 has a pretty small soundstage to me while the 51ps sound more airy/larger

post #2139 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Lol! My T51P's have a "DT1350" label, and my DT1350's appear to be a hybrid of the original and the facelift versions, so since I already have two sets of FrankenBeyer's, why not! :rolleyes:

 

I sure wish that the "T51P-comfort + DT1350-sound" FrankenBeyer existed though - it would be EPIC! But sadly, I can't be the one to attempt it... way to costly. 

 

I should do a bit of searching though to see if anyone else has tried the T51P pads on the DT1350's. Unfortunately they are stuck on with adhesive, so it's not a simple thing to try. The clamping is different between the two as well. I can maybe deal with that on the DT1350's by stretching them out a bit, but I really wouldn't want to do anything negative to the SQ.

 

Hmm!

Oddly enough, the pad mod has been tried.  I think the results were fairly positive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_9qwA1sb0  


Edited by s0ckpupp3t - 5/9/14 at 10:25am
post #2140 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ckpupp3t View Post
 

Oddly enough, the pad mod has been tried.  I think the results were fairly positive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_9qwA1sb0  

 

Thanks! Very interesting.

 

Btw, he says that he finds he loses seal with the facelift version (due to facelift pads and less clamping). I personally have no problem with the facelift version seal or bass, so I find it odd that he had a problem. Also, he says that the T51P pads on the DT1350's increases the bass by 6-8 db. That kinda scares me, as the bass level seems rather optimal for me as they are. But still, the thought of the those comfy T51P pads on the DT1350's is rather intriguing!


Edited by waynes world - 5/9/14 at 10:52am
post #2141 of 2516
Great write up on K545 MH. While I personally rank them higher than several of the headphones on your list I completely understand your reasoning for where you placed them on the list. For me they are a great fit sonically speaking as well as physically but that will not be the case for every one. I also like their price point compared to the others.

I am currently using a pair of SRH1540 as well as the K545 and Momentum On Ear. I would say the 1540 has become my favorite sonically as it has a much larger and 3 dimensional sound stage than the K545 followed by the MOE as well as more detail, comfort, and isolation. But it is also a $600 HP and while I use it portably is not truly a portable. The K545 has a bit more traditional sound stage which works extremely well for many genres though and I feel it has a bit more edge at times in the upper mids while never over cooking the treble making it distracting. The MOE on the other hand offer a fun sound that's weighty in the lower mids but is a bit rolled off in the treble.
post #2142 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I am currently using a pair of SRH1540 as well as the K545 and Momentum On Ear. I would say the 1540 has become my favorite sonically as it has a much larger and 3 dimensional sound stage than the K545 followed by the MOE as well as more detail, comfort, and isolation. But it is also a $600 HP and while I use it portably is not truly a portable. The K545 has a bit more traditional sound stage which works extremely well for many genres though and I feel it has a bit more edge at times in the upper mids while never over cooking the treble making it distracting. The MOE on the other hand offer a fun sound that's weighty in the lower mids but is a bit rolled off in the treble.

 

Glad you're still liking the SRH1540! 

post #2143 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Thanks! Very interesting.

 

Btw, he says that he finds he loses seal with the facelift version (due to facelift pads and less clamping). I personally have no problem with the facelift version seal or bass, so I find it odd that he had a problem. Also, he says that the T51P pads on the DT1350's increases the bass by 6-8 db. That kinda scares me, as the bass level seems rather optimal for me as they are. But still, the thought of the those comfy T51P pads on the DT1350's is rather intriguing!

 

It just seems that he prefers the 1350s and isn't giving the T51P a fair shot. He for example shows the measurements and even though the midrange didn't change he claimed that it sounded better and more natural with the new pads leading me to believe the placebo effect was here and he simply prefers the 1350s.

 

I also don't understand how they can fit the same when the 51Ps have a different shaped head band than the T51Ps.

 

I've owned the facelift version as well as the original 1350 and the clamping due to the headband design is the same and thus the discomfort for me was identical . I have tried just about every ear pad there is for the 1350/T50/T51. I do agree that the T51Ps have the best ear pads of the entire bunch.


Edited by krayziehustler - 5/9/14 at 3:37pm
post #2144 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

 

It just seems that he prefers the 1350s and isn't giving the T51P a fair shot. He for example shows the measurements and even though the midrange didn't change he claimed that it sounded better and more natural with the new pads leading me to believe the placebo effect was here and he simply prefers the 1350s.

 

I also don't understand how they can fit the same when the 51Ps have a different shaped head band than the T51Ps.

 

I've owned the facelift version as well as the original 1350 and the clamping due to the headband design is the same and thus the discomfort for me was identical . I have tried just about every ear pad there is for the 1350/T50/T51. I do agree that the T51Ps have the best ear pads of the entire bunch.

 

Thanks, and interesting points. Just to be clear, have you tried the T51 pads on the 1350's?

post #2145 of 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Thanks, and interesting points. Just to be clear, have you tried the T51 pads on the 1350's?


Yes and the comfort is still an issue and I didn't hear any difference in sound either.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around