Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 137

post #2041 of 2517
Thread Starter 

So the K545s (thanks again dweaver) are also in house...the backlog begins to grow. So Monster DNA on-ears, beyerdynamic T51p, Music Fidelity MF-100 and AKG K545s. If it weren't for this really bad cold (and head cold) plus the Raptor playoff game tonight I would be starting now instead of procrastinating until tomorrow. I'll report back with some impressions...

post #2042 of 2517
I read through the entire OP, and it was very constructive. I would however, appreciate a personalized recommendation. I've been mainly looking at the Momentums, as well as the KEF's. They are within my price range, and are portable as well. I listen to mainly reggae, pop, a lot of acoustic music. I do need headphones for outdoor use, so they need decent isolation. Although, (I know it is awful for my ears) but, I listen to music rather loud. Which, may at the end of the day, factor in for some noise isolation. On that note, however, they cannot leak a serious amount, because I use them in quiet rooms, where other people may be. Comfort is important to me as well, because until I scrounge enough cash to get a designated home pair of headphones, I will be using these for that pupose as well. Of course sound, I do not yet have a decided favorite sound signature, so I am, and continue to be open to most. I don't like bass very much. I would almost say I'm a treble head (not really) I just really appreciate crispness and airiness. So technically I like bass as well, as long as it is controlled. So in short I am looking for the ultimate portable headphone. Thanks.
Edited by halfinfinity - 4/23/14 at 2:59am
post #2043 of 2517
IMO Momentum does not suit your need at all! Sorry... Look into the PSB M4U1 as they suit your needs extremely well or PSB M4U2 if you need extra isolation

Hope it helps
Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #2044 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfinfinity View Post

I read through the entire OP, and it was very constructive. I would however, appreciate a personalized recommendation. I've been mainly looking at the Momentums, as well as the KEF's. They are within my price range, and are portable as well. I listen to mainly reggae, pop, a lot of acoustic music. I do need headphones for outdoor use, so they need decent isolation. Although, (I know it is awful for my ears) but, I listen to music rather loud. Which, may at the end of the day, factor in for some noise isolation. On that note, however, they cannot leak a serious amount, because I use them in quiet rooms, where other people may be. Comfort is important to me as well, because until I scrounge enough cash to get a designated home pair of headphones, I will be using these for that pupose as well. Of course sound, I do not yet have a decided favorite sound signature, so I am, and continue to be open to most. I don't like bass very much. I would almost say I'm a treble head (not really) I just really appreciate crispness and airiness. So technically I like bass as well, as long as it is controlled. So in short I am looking for the ultimate portable headphone. Thanks.

 

 

The Kef M500 sound perfect for you. As a native NYer their lack of isolation has been overblown imo. They are fine on the subway (especially if you play it rather loud like you say). On top of that they are one of the most comfortable headphones I've tried and I've been through like 15 headphones in 2014 alone lol. The only thing i'll say is that they are very revealing. If your song mp3/flac sounds like crap you can certainly tell.

post #2045 of 2517
Thread Starter 

Ok, just updated and added the beyerdynamic T51p's to the listing. Here's a hint: they are really, really good!

post #2046 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Ok, just updated and added the beyerdynamic T51p's to the listing. Here's a hint: they are really, really good!

 

Wow - MH likey! Thanks for the impressions - my interests is suddenly piqued. Thanks!

post #2047 of 2517
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Wow - MH likey! Thanks for the impressions - my interests is suddenly piqued. Thanks!

I'm seriously floored by these little headphones. Really small, portable, great looking, comfortable with great isolation and they sound fantastic (especially with my beyer A200p as a source/amp). But for the purposes of my review on the first page, I stuck with my iPad as the only amp/source to maintain consistency between all headphones here.

post #2048 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I'm seriously floored by these little headphones. Really small, portable, great looking, comfortable with great isolation and they sound fantastic (especially with my beyer A200p as a source/amp). But for the purposes of my review on the first page, I stuck with my iPad as the only amp/source to maintain consistency between all headphones here.

 

That's great. I read about them when they first came out, but wasn't convinced (and was not wanting to be convinced quite frankly lol). But they are up on the pedestal now, which gets my attention. Your bolded comments above are the epitome of what I'd like in a great portable, so hopefully I can try them out or find a good deal on them. Thanks!

post #2049 of 2517
Someone send MH some on1's already. biggrin.gif
post #2050 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

That's great. I read about them when they first came out, but wasn't convinced (and was not wanting to be convinced quite frankly lol). But they are up on the pedestal now, which gets my attention. Your bolded comments above are the epitome of what I'd like in a great portable, so hopefully I can try them out or find a good deal on them. Thanks!

+1

Now, I'm on the lookout as well. Not looking good though that the lowest these have been on Amazon was $250. eek.gif
post #2051 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post


+1

Now, I'm on the lookout as well. Not looking good though that the lowest these have been on Amazon was $250. eek.gif

 

Yeah. But that's not toooo bad. We should probably be able to find them for under $200 somewhere fairly soon. We just need to start up a "T51P Sucks  Big Time Anti-appreciation" thread!

post #2052 of 2517
Wait till you try the On1. I take them anytime over T51p or HD25 Alu.
post #2053 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

Wait till you try the On1. I take them anytime over T51p or HD25 Alu.

 

What makes you say that? I'm curious as an owner of both I found the T51P to be superior in everything except sub bass.

post #2054 of 2517

I recently have been using my open cans...but I again put on my NAD and wow. If you say these T51P are a close 2nd I am interested. I think something is going to have to be earth shatteringly different to move this needle.


Edited by subguy812 - 4/25/14 at 5:46am
post #2055 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I'm seriously floored by these little headphones. Really small, portable, great looking, comfortable with great isolation and they sound fantastic (especially with my beyer A200p as a source/amp). But for the purposes of my review on the first page, I stuck with my iPad as the only amp/source to maintain consistency between all headphones here.

 

Up front, thanks to you for your extensive review of current portable options -- very welcome.

 

I found it interesting that you mentioned that the T51p to you has clearer bass than the DT1350: in my opinion its just the other way round... Except for comfort I still think, the DT1350 is a better headphone in every aspect. I still like the T51p very much, getting most of the benefits of the DT1350 with really improved comfort is a good thing. I can understand that someone likes the somewhat softer sound of the T51p better, thats of course a matter of preferences.

 

Anyway, next up is an HP50...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around