Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 116

post #1726 of 2517
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


I used to hate everything that was Beats by Dre and railed against every headphone they made. The new studio was quite surprising actually. Haha. I think I would have bought one if they didn't have a battery inside. This aspect bugs me. If they had a passive version without NC and a battery then I might buy one. I'm serious. Haha. But in your case the NC would help with the plane ride, so it might work out.

 

I say go try them out to see what the heck I'm talking about.

If it's NC one is after, I'd recommend the Bose QC20s...now that is noise cancelling!

 

The new Beats are indeed better, but they lack some of the transparency, clarity and detail that some of the better headphones on this thread have. 

post #1727 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

NAD HP50 - These seem heavy to me.  Per Amazon they're over 2 pounds.  Could be an error.

 

this baby is light...should be referring to the packed weight :P 

Those planar big heavy cans are around 500grams. about 1lb weight.

 

From an Audio review site here are the specification for the Nad HP-50: Prety light at 8 oz or 1/2 pound.

 

Features

• 40mm drivers
• 4.2 ft/1.3m cord with inline mic and play/pause/answer button
• 4.2 ft/1.3m standard cord
• Padded leather carrying case included
• Available in white, black or red gloss finishes
• Weight: 8.0 oz/226g

But if you looking for a very portable with good isolation the Martin Logan Mikros 90 is very light and foldable with a great hard case for transport. (and cheap at the moment)

 

 

 


Edited by Twinster - 3/3/14 at 6:09pm
post #1728 of 2517
I'm stuck choosing between hp 50, beats studios or pros, momentum but the exposed cord under the headband scares me, which one is best for movies and second which one would stay on head best for gym workouts? I read so much in sound but haven't heard too much for movie watching. I had and returned the m50s, they didn't stay on head for gym, had the m100s they stayed on my head but had too much bass, I'm growing up you guys. Of the headphones listed above I would love to have an upgraded more spacious and balanced sound of the m50s it has a very clean sound to me and great for movies with just an added oomph of bass and added options from you guys would be welcome as well. Will spend up to 400.
post #1729 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by dto4life View Post

I'm stuck choosing between hp 50, beats studios or pros, momentum but the exposed cord under the headband scares me, which one is best for movies and second which one would stay on head best for gym workouts? I read so much in sound but haven't heard too much for movie watching. I had and returned the m50s, they didn't stay on head for gym, had the m100s they stayed on my head but had too much bass, I'm growing up you guys. Of the headphones listed above I would love to have an upgraded more spacious and balanced sound of the m50s it has a very clean sound to me and great for movies with just an added oomph of bass and added options from you guys would be welcome as well. Will spend up to 400.

Probably not what you want to hear, but over the ears for gym??  Probably way to sweaty and way too easy to fall off, cord to get snagged and yanked off, and too dorky, but if that's what their wearing to the gym these days??

 

No seriously, I would get a pair of over the ears for your movies and listening at home and a much cheaper pair of iems for the gym.  That way if you snag the cable on a barbell and rip the cord out of the driver you will not be kicking yourself financially for taking them to the gym.

post #1730 of 2517
True, what's a clean iem the ones I've tried have been trash compared to over ear cans
post #1731 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby View Post
 

Probably not what you want to hear, but over the ears for gym??  Probably way to sweaty and way too easy to fall off, cord to get snagged and yanked off, and too dorky, but if that's what their wearing to the gym these days??

 

No seriously, I would get a pair of over the ears for your movies and listening at home and a much cheaper pair of iems for the gym.  That way if you snag the cable on a barbell and rip the cord out of the driver you will not be kicking yourself financially for taking them to the gym.

 

Cables not really an issue if you wear the cable under your shirt. I use my H200 iems at the gym without worry (not super expensive, but not cheap either).

 

As far as headphones are concerned, I see a lot of guys wearing headphones at the gym these days. I'm curious to try it out - although I share your concern about getting sweaty and potentially looking dorky lol.

post #1732 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post

But if you looking for a very portable with good isolation the Martin Logan Mikros 90 is very light and foldable with a great hard case for transport. (and cheap at the moment)

 

 

And you can turn them into awesome bass monsters via the various bass port mods :)

post #1733 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 potentially looking dorky lol.

This!

post #1734 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

This!

 

I wouldn't be trying it with the HP50's that's for sure! :ph34r: ;)

post #1735 of 2517
Thanks for your help so what's your picks, especially for movie watching
Edited by dto4life - 3/3/14 at 8:42pm
post #1736 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by dto4life View Post

True, what's a clean iem the ones I've tried have been trash compared to over ear cans

check my signature for a really good iem for cheap.

post #1737 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by dto4life View Post

I'm stuck choosing between hp 50, beats studios or pros, momentum but the exposed cord under the headband scares me, which one is best for movies and second which one would stay on head best for gym workouts? I read so much in sound but haven't heard too much for movie watching. I had and returned the m50s, they didn't stay on head for gym, had the m100s they stayed on my head but had too much bass, I'm growing up you guys. Of the headphones listed above I would love to have an upgraded more spacious and balanced sound of the m50s it has a very clean sound to me and great for movies with just an added oomph of bass and added options from you guys would be welcome as well. Will spend up to 400.

In that case check the M50s bigger brother A900X or even better the improved version A900X LTD. Good for movies too, with decent soundfield size, with good bass to give emphasis and weight to the sound effects and with good treble to cut through the rumble of sound so that the human voices are clearly 'legible'.


Edited by zorin - 3/4/14 at 12:55am
post #1738 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin269 View Post
 

 

What factors are most important to me?

 

(Looking for an alternative to Bose QC-15 / other NC sets so isolation is definitely important though not listed below.)

 

1) Comfort - The primary reason I'm looking at a new set is for extended time travel use but would also like an all around use around the house.

2) Portability - I don't want these to be a nuisance when traveling.

3) Sound Quality - My hearing isn't the greatest (I wear hearing aids but will not when listening) so being the most accurate is not the most important.  I also don't care that much about bass.  Great if it's there but ok if it's just average.

4) Price - I'm not going to say 'price is not an object' but my budget is pretty wide.  I would go up to $400 if I knew that purchase would be exactly what I'm looking for but obviously have no problem going to $150.  So $150-$400 with a leaning towards the low end is my preference here.

 

 

Based on what you understand that I'm looking for, what would you choose in lieu of the Bose QC15?  Light, portable, not necessarily NC but good for travel that might also work for home use if your only current set were Pioneer SE-A1000.

 

Appreciate any feedback you may provide.

You did not specify what your hearing defect is, and that is important to know. Do you have problem hearing bass or treble or is your hearing diminished across the board, across the whole frequency spectrum ?

post #1739 of 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorin View Post
 

You did not specify what your hearing defect is, and that is important to know. Do you have problem hearing bass or treble or is your hearing diminished across the board, across the whole frequency spectrum ?


The good news is I can hear all frequencies across the board just at varying levels across my internal L/R balance.  One side hears treble much better than the other for example.

post #1740 of 2517

Quick update, I'm going to try testing out the Beats after work today.  But do have to admit that the more I read about the NAD cans the more I'm starting to like them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 22 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around