Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 19 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparisons: 19 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around - Page 65

post #961 of 2312

I agree with everything else except for the Momentum's ranking higher in "sound quality/build quality" than the PSB M4U2's . Moreover, I disagree that the Momentum's rank equally with the PSB's regarding "treble", "bass", and "imaging." My listening experience with the Momentum's wasn't so good. I perceived that the bass bled into the mids and made the sound a bit muddy. Treble detail wasn't so spectacular either; there was a slight liveliness to the treble but in the end, the treble seemed a bit recessed to me. The imaging of the Momentum's is almost on par with the PSB's, but the PSB's image better due to it's better treble response and due to the fact that the bass does not bleed into the mids as much. I also have to disagree that the bass ranks higher with the Momentum's than the PSB's. The quality of bass for the PSB's is way better than the Momentum's in that it sounds fuller and more controlled. The Momentum's just boast more quantity in the bass department, but it sounds very dull/bloated to me. The build quality of the PSB's although it is mostly plastic feels way sturdier than the Momentum's when I am holding it in my hands. Plus, the cable on the Momentum's is way to thin, while the cable on the PSB's are thicker and better built.

I have to say the imaging on the PSB's is on par with the P7's but does not seem so when comparing them because the P7's have an accentuated treble response and just a different representation and sound signature (Forward; V-Shaped) than the PSB's (Mid-Centric). The details in the music are "all there" when listening to the PSB's, but you need to really listen closely to notice. The soundstage of the PSB's is way better than the Momentum's and better than the P7's in my opinion. The width/depth of the soundstage and balance of the sound frequencies give you a beautiful sense of space when listening to the PSB's. The sound is very natural and life-like; this is perfect for movies and orchestral music. It's true that the P7's have better instrumental separation, deeper/punchier bass, and a more lively treble response than the PSB's; but all of that sounds very, very unnatural to me compared to the PSB's. I think the P7's are great for rock, metal, electronic, rap, and jazz. But the PSB's are better for Vocals, watching movies (because they sound more "real"), and Classical/Orchestral/Acoustic/Instrumental music. In the end I prefer the PSB's even though I listen to mainly rock/metal because I can't get over how colored and artificial the P7's sound. But you got to admit, the PSB's are ugly! And the P7's are gorgeous! :)


Edited by leadbythemelody - 11/23/13 at 11:20pm
post #962 of 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbythemelody View Post
 

I agree with everything else except for the Momentum's ranking higher in "sound quality/build quality" than the PSB M4U2's . Moreover, I disagree that the Momentum's rank equally with the PSB's regarding "treble", "bass", and "imaging." My listening experience with the Momentum's wasn't so good. I perceived that the bass bled into the mids and made the sound a bit muddy. Treble detail wasn't so spectacular either; there was a slight liveliness to the treble but in the end, the treble seemed a bit recessed to me. The imaging of the Momentum's is almost on par with the PSB's, but the PSB's image better due to it's better treble response and due to the fact that the bass does not bleed into the mids as much. I also have to disagree that the bass ranks higher with the Momentum's than the PSB's. The quality of bass for the PSB's is way better than the Momentum's in that it sounds fuller and more controlled. The Momentum's just boast more quantity in the bass department, but it sounds very dull/bloated to me. The build quality of the PSB's although it is mostly plastic feels way sturdier than the Momentum's when I am holding it in my hands. Plus, the cable on the Momentum's is way to thin, while the cable on the PSB's are thicker and better built.

I have to say the imaging on the PSB's is on par with the P7's but does not seem so when comparing them because the P7's have an accentuated treble response and just a different representation and sound signature (Forward; V-Shaped) than the PSB's (Mid-Centric). The details in the music are "all there" when listening to the PSB's, but you need to really listen closely to notice. The soundstage of the PSB's is way better than the Momentum's and better than the P7's in my opinion. The width/depth of the soundstage and balance of the sound frequencies give you a beautiful sense of space when listening to the PSB's. The sound is very natural and life-like; this is perfect for movies and orchestral music. It's true that the P7's have better instrumental separation, deeper/punchier bass, and a more lively treble response than the PSB's; but all of that sounds very, very unnatural to me compared to the PSB's. I think the P7's are great for rock, metal, electronic, rap, and jazz. But the PSB's are better for Vocals, watching movies (because they sound more "real"), and Classical/Orchestral/Acoustic/Instrumental music. In the end I prefer the PSB's even though I listen to mainly rock/metal because I can't get over how colored and artificial the P7's sound. But you got to admit, the PSB's are ugly! And the P7's are gorgeous! :)


 :confused_face(1):

post #963 of 2312
Burn in helps the P7, but the colored sound you describe it's likely due to the reverberations caused by the space created by the ear pads. You wouldn't notice this if only listening to the P7, but it's apparent when comparing to other headphones, especially open ones. Actually all closed around ear headphones that isolate well probably have this problem. TH900 and Alpha Dogs probably wouldn't but those also leak more. I think if they had velour pads on the P7, it would help absorb some of the sound bouncing around.
post #964 of 2312

Using Velour pads with the P7's sounds really interesting. I didn't burn in the P7's a lot, maybe 10-20 hours? But I don't experience the colored sound with the PSB's which isolates about the same as the P7's, it sounds very natural and life-like.


Edited by leadbythemelody - 11/24/13 at 3:45pm
post #965 of 2312

LOL it's just my perception of the sound. I'm probably the crazy one haha.

post #966 of 2312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbythemelody View Post
 

I agree with everything else except for the Momentum's ranking higher in "sound quality/build quality" than the PSB M4U2's . Moreover, I disagree that the Momentum's rank equally with the PSB's regarding "treble", "bass", and "imaging." My listening experience with the Momentum's wasn't so good. I perceived that the bass bled into the mids and made the sound a bit muddy. Treble detail wasn't so spectacular either; there was a slight liveliness to the treble but in the end, the treble seemed a bit recessed to me. The imaging of the Momentum's is almost on par with the PSB's, but the PSB's image better due to it's better treble response and due to the fact that the bass does not bleed into the mids as much. I also have to disagree that the bass ranks higher with the Momentum's than the PSB's. The quality of bass for the PSB's is way better than the Momentum's in that it sounds fuller and more controlled. The Momentum's just boast more quantity in the bass department, but it sounds very dull/bloated to me. The build quality of the PSB's although it is mostly plastic feels way sturdier than the Momentum's when I am holding it in my hands. Plus, the cable on the Momentum's is way to thin, while the cable on the PSB's are thicker and better built.

I have to say the imaging on the PSB's is on par with the P7's but does not seem so when comparing them because the P7's have an accentuated treble response and just a different representation and sound signature (Forward; V-Shaped) than the PSB's (Mid-Centric). The details in the music are "all there" when listening to the PSB's, but you need to really listen closely to notice. The soundstage of the PSB's is way better than the Momentum's and better than the P7's in my opinion. The width/depth of the soundstage and balance of the sound frequencies give you a beautiful sense of space when listening to the PSB's. The sound is very natural and life-like; this is perfect for movies and orchestral music. It's true that the P7's have better instrumental separation, deeper/punchier bass, and a more lively treble response than the PSB's; but all of that sounds very, very unnatural to me compared to the PSB's. I think the P7's are great for rock, metal, electronic, rap, and jazz. But the PSB's are better for Vocals, watching movies (because they sound more "real"), and Classical/Orchestral/Acoustic/Instrumental music. In the end I prefer the PSB's even though I listen to mainly rock/metal because I can't get over how colored and artificial the P7's sound. But you got to admit, the PSB's are ugly! And the P7's are gorgeous! :)

Heard of paragraphs? :p 

 

I liked the PSBs, but in the end, they were too big, clunky for portable purposes. The NC was just ok and they sounded quite good, just not up with the top 3 headphones I found. We all like different things and that's ok. Let's not forget that either. 

 

The PSBs were coloured too, they made full sounding music come off as thin and powerful bass was rendered underwhelming. 


Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/24/13 at 5:32pm
post #967 of 2312
Anyone know how good any of these especially the Momentum, P7, and M500 compare to some quality IEMs in terms of sound? I jumped on the UE900 @ $200.
Edited by Sonido - 11/24/13 at 5:38pm
post #968 of 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Anyone know how good any of these especially the Momentum, P7, and M500 compare to some quality IEMs in terms of sound? I jumped on the UE900 @ $200.

UE900 @ $200 is a good deal! But I will still go for Sennheiser Momentum over the UE900 if they are at the same price if SQ is your propriety. smily_headphones1.gif but still, you can't find Momentum over ear for $200 so far
post #969 of 2312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Anyone know how good any of these especially the Momentum, P7, and M500 compare to some quality IEMs in terms of sound? I jumped on the UE900 @ $200.

My ears don't seem to want to work with IEMs since I turned 40 a few years back...that said, I did recently have a pair of Westone 4s as recent as this summer and I'd easily take the Momentums, P7s and M500s over them in all areas except for portability. 

 

From memory, I preferred the W4s to the UE900s. :o

post #970 of 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

My ears don't seem to want to work with IEMs since I turned 40 a few years back...that said, I did recently have a pair of Westone 4s as recent as this summer and I'd easily take the Momentums, P7s and M500s over them in all areas except for portability. 

 

From memory, I preferred the W4s to the UE900s. :o

 

I was temporarily hyped on that UE900 deal. But a_recording's reviews made me reconsider:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/679046/comparison-review-the-quads-westone-w4r-vs-logitech-ue-900-vs-sony-xba-40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi7enGLNCIo

 

Also, I'm leery of veiled mids:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/logitech-ue-900-ear-monitors-page-2

Quote:
 Upper mids are de-emphasized, however, resulting in slight veiling. Female vocals especially seem less intelligible compared to sets such as the HiFiMan RE272 and Shure SE530.

 

post #971 of 2312

LOL this has got to be my longest post  :ksc75smile: 

I want to try the KEF M500's now.


Edited by leadbythemelody - 11/24/13 at 7:08pm
post #972 of 2312

I listened to P7s and B&O H6 recently at an apple store and thought mids were quite thin on both sets coming from W4s and IE80s. Anyone had similar experience?

post #973 of 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aras View Post
 

I listened to P7s and B&O H6 recently at an apple store and thought mids were quite thin on both sets coming from W4s and IE80s. Anyone had similar experience?

the IE80 is too warm to compare maybe?

post #974 of 2312

The urge to compare the KEF M500 to the Sony MDR 7520 became so intense that I ordered a pair from Amazon with overnight shipping on Friday.  Some quick first impressions of the 7520's..

 

Packaging/Presentation: The box looks durable enough but what a hassle unpacking the headphones, even more of a hassle to package them back up.  Way too much plastic to deal with.  

 

Build Quality/Aesthetics: Solid.  Photos of the headphones don't do it justice.  

 

Comfort: Very good.  Was able to listen to the headphones for three hours with no discomfort issues.  The clamping force is strong but not too strong.

 

Isolation: Good enough.  

 

Sound quality: BRIGHT!  The treble output can be borderline jarring.  Music subjected to the loudness wars is especially fatiguing.  Overall I prefer the sound signature of the M500.  The M500 is more balanced across the entire frequency spectrum.  I did most of the 7520/M500 comparison on a MacBook Pro (unamped) listening to mostly Indie Rock with a combination of apple lossless and aac 256 audio files.  The 7520s sound a lot better when plugged into a HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp that I use with an iMac.  The 7520 still sounded bright but the bass and the midrange sounded a lot more fuller.  

 

The 7520s are the most analytical headphones I ever listened to.  Recording flaws become very apparent especially floor noise.  The bass is where I want it to be on the 7520, very controlled, not too much, not too little.  It's hard to gauge the midrange because of the brightness of the treble.  The 7520s probably are less than ideal with my audio setup and the type of music I listen to.  I have until the end of January to decide if I want to keep the them.  Gotta love Amazon for their generous return policy.

post #975 of 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby1170 View Post

 

The 7520s are the most analytical headphones I ever listened to.  Recording flaws become very apparent especially floor noise.  The bass is where I want it to be on the 7520, very controlled, not too much, not too little.  It's hard to gauge the midrange because of the brightness of the treble.  The 7520s probably are less than ideal with my audio setup and the type of music I listen to.  I have until the end of January to decide if I want to keep the them.  Gotta love Amazon for their generous return policy.

 

Interesting impressions - thanks. I wonder how burn in will affect them...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: 19 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around