Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Would appreciate some help is choosing some portable over-ear headphones, mostly for Gltich, electronic rock.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would appreciate some help is choosing some portable over-ear headphones, mostly for Gltich,...

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hey everyone, thanks for looking.

I'm in the market for a pair of over-ear headphones that I can ware outside, on the bus, etc. They'll be hooked up to my HTC One (if that matters at all)

I mostly listen to the Glitch Mob, Celldweller, and electronic stuff, dubstep, rock, etc. I don't blast my music, but I do like it to have that oomph, though, if that makes sense.

So, my question is, what headphones would be best for me? I'm completely new at this, and there's an overwhelming amount of options, lol.

My price range is, that I would like to keep it around $150, around that area, the less the better. Would consider going a little higher, though.

Sound quality is most important, then comfort, and durability tied for second, don't particularly care what they look like.

What I'm currently using atm are the SteelSeries Flux In Ear Pros, and like them, though everyone of my friends has said over-ear headphones are much better in terms of quality.

I live in Canada, so please keep that in mind for pricing, and availability of items.

90% of my music is 320kbs, or FLAC, as well.

If I've left anything out, please let me know and I'll answer any questions if anyone has any.

Thanks,

Cayoss


Edited by Cayoss - 7/13/13 at 6:51am
post #2 of 16

I like the sound of my JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray) folding headphones.

Months ago I paid $76 for mine and I think they might be a little cheaper now.

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I like the sound of my JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray) folding headphones.

Months ago I paid $76 for mine and I think they might be a little cheaper now.


They look like they're on-ear, could be wrong, though. I also forgot to mention I'm in Canada, and Amazon.ca isn't nearly as good as amazon.com, and prices are usually 20-30% more.

post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoss View Post

They look like they're on-ear, could be wrong, though. I also forgot to mention I'm in Canada, and Amazon.ca isn't nearly as good as amazon.com, and prices are usually 20-30% more.

They are on ear, I guessed I missed that part about "over ear" in your first post.

Several sellers of this JVC headphone on eBay and they ship from Japan.

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

They are on ear, I guessed I missed that part about "over ear" in your first post.

Several sellers of this JVC headphone on eBay and they ship from Japan.


I'll look into them some more, but the on ear headphones I've used in the past always hurt my ears after 20-30 minutes.


Edited by Cayoss - 7/13/13 at 6:43am
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 

^_/\
 

post #7 of 16
Sony MDR-V6 are a good pair of headphones for under $100. Good sound with a little bass emphasis. Very durable build quality for the price.

Then if you get them and want more comfort, a lot of us have replaced the pads with the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Pads. And alternatively, look for the MDR-7506. Essentially the same headphone as the V6 (an update) with only a slight change in sound. You could go with whichever one is cheaper.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Sony MDR-V6 are a good pair of headphones for under $100. Good sound with a little bass emphasis. Very durable build quality for the price.

Then if you get them and want more comfort, a lot of us have replaced the pads with the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Pads. And alternatively, look for the MDR-7506. Essentially the same headphone as the V6 (an update) with only a slight change in sound. You could go with whichever one is cheaper.


http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-Mdr7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2WFFJKOHUDUX&coliid=I2MT61S01LTPGF

Those ones, correct? They've been the front runners in my searching, though the 10 foot cable makes me a little nervous about getting them.

post #9 of 16
Yes. And these: http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDR-V6-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/

Difference between the 7506 and the V6 is monor, and I've seen people that have heard both argue both ways for which is better.

The cable is coiled, so it's not 10 feet long unless you stretch it all the way out.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yes. And these: http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDR-V6-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/

Difference between the 7506 and the V6 is monor, and I've seen people that have heard both argue both ways for which is better.

The cable is coiled, so it's not 10 feet long unless you stretch it all the way out.


Alright. Which would you recommend out of the two, I have no issues spending more money if the product is better.

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yes. And these: http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDR-V6-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/

Difference between the 7506 and the V6 is monor, and I've seen people that have heard both argue both ways for which is better.

The cable is coiled, so it's not 10 feet long unless you stretch it all the way out.


Also, would these be fine for waring outside and stuff, riding the buss, walking, etc?

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoss View Post


Alright. Which would you recommend out of the two, I have no issues spending more money if the product is better.

I have the V6. Haven't heard the 7506. You could google for comparisons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoss View Post


Also, would these be fine for waring outside and stuff, riding the buss, walking, etc?

Sure.
post #13 of 16

Check out the Logitech UE6000- good for electronic, excellent mids, slightly rolled off highs, so non-fatiguing, very comfortable, good passive isolation with optional noise cancellation (sounds great without batteries).  These would work well for portable use and are around the top of your price range.
 

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I have the V6. Haven't heard the 7506. You could google for comparisons.
Sure.


Seems like the only difference is that that 7506 is gold plated, while the V6, isn't. And that, that doesn't really matter at all.

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Check out the Logitech UE6000- good for electronic, excellent mids, slightly rolled off highs, so non-fatiguing, very comfortable, good passive isolation with optional noise cancellation (sounds great without batteries).  These would work well for portable use and are around the top of your price range.
 


$199 is a bit to steep for me, if they were $149, I'd probably buy them. Thanks, though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Would appreciate some help is choosing some portable over-ear headphones, mostly for Gltich, electronic rock.