New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IEMs for a $100 budget

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 

My current pair of earphones (MDR-EX60LP) are kind of worn out after two years or so, and I'm looking for an upgrade in my audio experience, thus I'm seeking a pair of IEMs for roughly a $80-100 budget. I take into concern mostly the sound quality, comfort and also sound isolation. I listen to music like Coldplay, Snow Patrol, acoustic guitar music, and occasionally Green Day. I hope that gives you guys a rough insight on what I'm looking for. I've been doing some research, and I'm currently looking at the Sony MDR-XB90EX, Shure 215 etc. (I'm not so good at this). Would appreciate some advice on buying some IEMs. (:


Edited by Nicolas L - 7/13/13 at 8:35am
post #2 of 39

Read this: Multi-IEM Review - 288 IEMs compared (Ultimate Ears 600 / 600vi Added 07/05/13 p.725)

 

In addition, I think the Sleek Audio SA1 might be a good start for you.

post #3 of 39

I would recommend the Sony MH1C if you are looking to spend less, but for $100, you should get the HiFiMAN RE400s. 

post #4 of 39
Shure Se215, is the answer to all your problems. Great sound, comfort and isolation.
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezzerPhonanza View Post

Shure Se215, is the answer to all your problems. Great sound, comfort and isolation.


How do you know that the 215 would be the answer to all his problems when you don't really know the sound sig that he/she is after?

 

For many here, the RE-400's are the absolute best IEM that one can get under 100 bucks, but still, only if you like their sound sig.

post #6 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Read this: Multi-IEM Review - 288 IEMs compared (Ultimate Ears 600 / 600vi Added 07/05/13 p.725)

 

In addition, I think the Sleek Audio SA1 might be a good start for you.

The SA1 does seem to have a pretty nice look, and I've also read the review in the 288 IEMs page earlier on which seems pretty nice, but sadly, there doesn't seem to be any shops that sell Sleek Audio products in Hong Kong... :/

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

I would recommend the Sony MH1C if you are looking to spend less, but for $100, you should get the HiFiMAN RE400s. 

I'm glad I do have a Sony Xperia phone for the MH1C. I'll have a look into it. About the RE400, people do say that it's pretty well rounded. What are your thoughts on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezzerPhonanza View Post

Shure Se215, is the answer to all your problems. Great sound, comfort and isolation.

Ehh... kinda vague. The reviews are quite good though.

post #7 of 39

I am actually from HK but in the US now.  Amazon has the SA1 on sale for $40 ship within the US but $127 ship internationally, but at that price it's not worth it.

post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

I am actually from HK but in the US now.  Amazon has the SA1 on sale for $40 ship within the US but $127 ship internationally, but at that price it's not worth it.

I absolutely hate it when the shipping is more expensive than the product itself... *sigh*

post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas L View Post

I absolutely hate it when the shipping is more expensive than the product itself... *sigh*


There's no way I would do that, even if I wanted whatever I was getting really bad. 

 

Which reminds me, and I've wondered, how do the retail prices compare in the US for products made in China versus what it retails for in China? 


Edited by lwien - 7/13/13 at 9:58pm
post #10 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien View Post


There's no way I would do that, even if I wanted whatever I was getting really bad. 

Which reminds me, and I've wondered, how do the retail prices compare in the US for products made in China versus what it retails for in China? 

To be honest, I'm not really sure about the prices in mainland China since you never really know if it's genuine, but if it is, it's normally based on the US price, but converted back to the Hong Kong dollar (of course). The hifiman waterline 're-400' sells for HKD754 from the official retailer.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas L View Post


To be honest, I'm not really sure about the prices in mainland China since you never really know if it's genuine, but if it is, it's normally based on the US price, but converted back to the Hong Kong dollar (of course). The hifiman waterline 're-400' sells for HKD754 from the official retailer.

 

So it's about the same.    Hmmm.......

post #12 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien View Post

So it's about the same.    Hmmm.......

I'll try find if there's the mainland China price, or maybe check on the China Amazon.

EDIT:It's ¥599 on the China Amazon, checked just now, seems a lot cheaper.
Edited by Nicolas L - 7/14/13 at 12:14am
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas L View Post


I'll try find if there's the mainland China price, or maybe check on the China Amazon.

EDIT:It's ¥599 on the China Amazon, checked just now, seems a lot cheaper.

Which one?  The SA1 MSRP is $80, so Y599 is not that far off.

post #14 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Which one?  The SA1 MSRP is $80, so Y599 is not that far off.

I was referring to the hifiman re-400 in that post. haven't been able to find the price of the sa1.
post #15 of 39

I will say give Dunu DN-23 Landmine a go.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home