Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X3 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO X3 Review - Page 6

post #76 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Chan View Post

FiiO X3 can use as DAC/AMP functions? I meant if I want to play song from my iPod and I want the output go to X3. Is this what people call by passing?
 

You want the X3 to be able to seperate into an amp to be used as an amp for your iPod? No.

 

You want to use it as a DAC for your iPod? Can't, there is no input method except for adding songs.

 

Sorry, your best bet would be to just get a 'real' amp for the iPod.

post #77 of 232
Thanks for such a great and comprehensive review.
I am having the problem you described with the player listing all song 1, then 2s etc. It gets worse if there are more than ten tracks as song 11 becomes song 2 in the list of playing.
Please have you any recommendations for how to fix this?
regards
gthom78
post #78 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthom78 View Post

Thanks for such a great and comprehensive review.
I am having the problem you described with the player listing all song 1, then 2s etc. It gets worse if there are more than ten tracks as song 11 becomes song 2 in the list of playing.
Please have you any recommendations for how to fix this?
regards
gthom78

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"

 

As of right now, there is no easy way to fix this.

 

The only way to try to help against this is to use Categories(auto) view. Categories no longer lists songs by their track number first while manual does. 

 

Please update to the newest firmware released by FiiO(I believe 1.23?)

 

And thank you for the compliments. wink.gif

post #79 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

The only thing James said he won't support is gapless playback in browser format.  That doesn't mean that the bugs with file support will not be fixed. Hasn't been fixed does not mean it won't ever be implemented. Whereas I know for a fact that gapless playback in browser form will 100% never come due to technical limitations. 

 

Gapless support will exist in non browser support. 

 

Dumb question. What is the difference between browser form and non browser?

 

Thanks

post #80 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post

Dumb question. What is the difference between browser form and non browser?

 

Thanks

Browse Files is browser. Categories is non browsing.

post #81 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Browse Files is browser. Categories is non browsing.

thankfully I just use Shuffle when I listen to music, and I could care less about gapless play lists. I like the Silent gaps

 

Anyways, a shame to hear it's dark and warm -.- but nice to hear the E12 brings a little coldness maybe to the playing feild... either way I'm hoping the e12 X3 combo will help thin and brighten the Mad Dogs... 

post #82 of 232

I would like the video review to include answers to the following questions:

 

Can the X3 be continuously charged from the 12VDC car charger while it is playing?

 

How does the X3 compare in sound quality to the HiFiMAN HM-901?

 

How does the X3 compare in the quality off the connectivity to HiFiMAN HM-901

 

Can one connect an external DAC from the output of the X3 to the input of the car stereo?

 

How many bit is the internal DAC?

 

What brand of DAC does the X3 use and how does it compare with HiFiMAN HM-901?

 

How easy is it to play an entire album and have the X3 automatically play the next album in a sequence?

 

Can the X3 play all songs in one folder, then automatically play all the songs in the next folder?

post #83 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post

Dumb question. What is the difference between browser form and non browser?

 

Thanks

Browse Files is browser. Categories is non browsing.

sorry but I still do not understand what that means. from switching the unit on, how do I play a gapless album I have loaded on my x3? if someone could explain in simple english that would be fab!

Nexus 4 via Tapatalk 2
Edited by alphabetagaga - 8/4/13 at 12:44am
post #84 of 232

I guess X3 has its own music library. After you copy your music files from your computer, u will need to either auto-update or manual update to the X3 music library (auto/manual setting is located in "System Settings" > "Update Lib".

 

Once the files are updated into the music library, you can then see the files under the "Category" section. The "Category" section displays based on id3 tag and if you play your files from there you can then use the gapless feature

 

In order to turn on the gapless feature, set it On in "Player setting" > "Gapless playback"

 

"Browse" is the feature which you can see your music files in the memory but not thru X3 music library , thus the gapless feature will not work.

post #85 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

I guess X3 has its own music library. After you copy your music files from your computer, u will need to either auto-update or manual update to the X3 music library (auto/manual setting is located in "System Settings" > "Update Lib".

 

Once the files are updated into the music library, you can then see the files under the "Category" section. The "Category" section displays based on id3 tag and if you play your files from there you can then use the gapless feature

 

In order to turn on the gapless feature, set it On in "Player setting" > "Gapless playback"

 

"Browse" is the feature which you can see your music files in the memory but not thru X3 music library , thus the gapless feature will not work.


music library are the key words. brilliant! thanks very much for the explain :)

post #86 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgetWhatUpayFor View Post

I would like the video review to include answers to the following questions:

 

Can the X3 be continuously charged from the 12VDC car charger while it is playing?

 

How does the X3 compare in sound quality to the HiFiMAN HM-901?

 

How does the X3 compare in the quality off the connectivity to HiFiMAN HM-901

 

Can one connect an external DAC from the output of the X3 to the input of the car stereo?

 

How many bit is the internal DAC?

 

What brand of DAC does the X3 use and how does it compare with HiFiMAN HM-901?

 

How easy is it to play an entire album and have the X3 automatically play the next album in a sequence?

 

Can the X3 play all songs in one folder, then automatically play all the songs in the next folder?

It can be charged while using it. Doubt car charger would be different.

 

No info on this yet as I do not have HM units but other users do and the X3 just got released.

 

Yes, the X3 supports Digital Coaxial output. You just need a DAC that inputs Digital Coaxial signals and outputs a format that your car stereo can use. This is a bit useless however. X3 supports line out, and you can just use line out to your car stereo.

 

It supports up to 24bits.

 

HM 901 uses a Sabre DAC. A better comparison would be X3 and 601 not 901. You are comparing a stock corvette to a Ferrari.

 

How easy? If you order it correctly in manual Browse, you can get it pretty easy. Otherwise, not easy in automatic browse. My review answers why this isn't working well in auto browse.

 

No, it stays in the folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post


sorry but I still do not understand what that means. from switching the unit on, how do I play a gapless album I have loaded on my x3? if someone could explain in simple english that would be fab!

Nexus 4 via Tapatalk 2

Gapless playback does not work yet on the X3. The user below you gives you a good run down, you can try it.

post #87 of 232

Soo, how do you people out there actually like the x3 after some long term use? I am reconsidering this player again, just need a gentle push and a bit convincing. The supposedly clunky UI kinda puts me off...

post #88 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Soo, how do you people out there actually like the x3 after some long term use? I am reconsidering this player again, just need a gentle push and a bit convincing. The supposedly clunky UI kinda puts me off...

Depends on if you are a person constantly switching songs and albums and moving all over the place randomly, if you are, this is a bit clunky to use. But if you use playlists often of diffferent artists, then this will work fine.

post #89 of 232

Thanks for the good info bowei006.
 

Here are some questions that still boggle my mind:
 

Do these high-end Digital-Audio-Players produce sound better or equal to an Audio CD? 

 

Or do these units just try to come as close as possible to the un-compressed CD formats?
 

Will these units really sound better than a CD in a car or boat?
 

The radio on my friend’s boat has a headphone input for an MP3 player.  Will these high-end digital players sound adequate going into a headphone input?  Seems to me that an analog input will never achieve the quality of the built-in CD player, but perhaps I’m missing something.  I need a Digital Audio 101 course.
 

I have a Chrysler Mini-van that has seems to have a mini-coaxial input on the standard equipment radio.  My other car has Microsoft Synch input with a choice of USB input or what looks like an 1/8” headphone input.  I’m guessing the Coaxial input only accepts digital audio and the car radio has its own DAC.  USB is probably also a digital input.  I am not sure which is the higher-quality connection USB vs. Coaxial IN.

 

I am guessing that a digital audio player like the X3 has a digital coaxial out for the purpose of sending the signal to an external DAC, then outputting an analog signal from the external DAC the signal can then only be inputted into an analog input on the car stereo.  I would think that sending an analog signal from a DAC to a digital input on the car stereo would be incompatible, but I need more insight on this.

 

Does anyone have any experience placing a high-end DAC between the Digital Audio Player and the car stereo?  I am thinking that the signal should be maintained as digital for as long as possible.  Digital out, post process the digital signal with an external DAC, then convert it to analog for input to the stereo.

post #90 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgetWhatUpayFor View Post

Thanks for the good info bowei006.
 

Here are some questions that still boggle my mind:
 

Do these high-end Digital-Audio-Players produce sound better or equal to an Audio CD? 

 

Or do these units just try to come as close as possible to the un-compressed CD formats?
 

Will these units really sound better than a CD in a car or boat?
 

The radio on my friend’s boat has a headphone input for an MP3 player.  Will these high-end digital players sound adequate going into a headphone input?  Seems to me that an analog input will never achieve the quality of the built-in CD player, but perhaps I’m missing something.  I need a Digital Audio 101 course.
 

I have a Chrysler Mini-van that has seems to have a mini-coaxial input on the standard equipment radio.  My other car has Microsoft Synch input with a choice of USB input or what looks like an 1/8” headphone input.  I’m guessing the Coaxial input only accepts digital audio and the car radio has its own DAC.  USB is probably also a digital input.  I am not sure which is the higher-quality connection USB vs. Coaxial IN.

 

I am guessing that a digital audio player like the X3 has a digital coaxial out for the purpose of sending the signal to an external DAC, then outputting an analog signal from the external DAC the signal can then only be inputted into an analog input on the car stereo.  I would think that sending an analog signal from a DAC to a digital input on the car stereo would be incompatible, but I need more insight on this.

 

Does anyone have any experience placing a high-end DAC between the Digital Audio Player and the car stereo?  I am thinking that the signal should be maintained as digital for as long as possible.  Digital out, post process the digital signal with an external DAC, then convert it to analog for input to the stereo.

That's not an accurate comparison. An audio CD is a format. A more accurate comparison would be how MP3's compare to Audio CD's for example. The medium used to play the audio CD would be the correct comparison against the X3. And of course, that depends on the equipment you are using to play the CD.

 

These units play lossless, and lossy files. They will come as close to what formats you let it play.

 

if you use these units? Little to no difference if you use the lossless version(hell even the lossy version) playing with the X3 to your stereo instead of the CD. There will be close to no difference unless you are running a high end setup.

 

The quality of most MP3 inputs is actually of lower quality than the CD player itself. Just use the CD player.

 

You need to make sure if it is actually a mini plug with digital connections. Yes, if it is actually coaxial input, then the car has a DAC. DAC's are common in many devices and cheap DAC's without sonic problems cost less than a dollar.

 

Yes you are correct, the purpose of X3 digital coaxial output is for one to use another DAC whose input supports it and then outputs to another amp be it an external amp or one built into a speaker.

 

Unless your car stereo is of very high custom quality, don't bother, and just use the CD player with it. I'm not talking about choosing the thousand dollar Boston Acoustics or Bose pre set selection if you buy a new car. I'm talking full redoing the whole stereo of the car for the purpose of audio fidelity. Otherwise, droping an X3 in with an external high end DAC into the mp3 input of the car stereo will be like for the most part a waste of money

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X3 Review