- 7 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Beginner looking for amp/DAC advice Last post on 2/13/15 at 11:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which ATH M50 to get ? Last post on 12/26/14 at 1:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio Technica ATH-M50S Last post on 8/17/14 at 3:59pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- asus b85m-g .. audio technica ath-m50 Last post on 5/29/14 at 4:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ear Fatigue After EQing (ATH-M50) Last post on 6/1/14 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
Audio Technica has a long history of making wood-cupped headphones, both in limited edition and production models. The W2002, their first famous limited edition model, is now a highly...
Being a proud yet protective grandpa I was very interested when Brainwavz offered to let me review a pair of sound level attenuated headphones for kids. I would love to pass on my...
To start this off, i did not pay for my pair of 315. If i had payed for them the disappointment would be vast. I have a pair of SE215 and while they are not my favourite iem, they have their...
Disclaimer Firstly I just wanted to thank Simon and Adam at Pro-Ject for the review sample of the Head Box S USB. I am not affiliated with Pro-Ject in any way, all impressions are written as...
First and foremost, this is not an expert review. You may call it amateur if you please. But it's more of an owner appreciating his gear and sharing his thoughts and opinions about it. After...
ATH-M50 needs a new jack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Here is an image of the pinout of a 3.5 mm plug. You can then figure out which wire goes where with the conductivity test on a multimeter. To do your test connection, don't forget to connect the ground on the big plate of the connector.
I hope it helps a bit.
Well, is the ground the black one and the other 2 are for each channel? Because if so I tried that and got no sound. I seen on many videos headphones with a very small line for sound, and the rest was a ground, but they had 1 wire for each earphone.
I'm not sure if anyone knows off-hand. I have the ATH-M50, but I don't want to open it up to find out. :)
You can find out though, to expound on FortuneSound's post.
Take the wire that you cut off, the one with the jack on it. Cut off a small part of the sleeve on the open end, to expose the 3 wires that you have posted. Take a DMM, set it on resistance, Put one probe of the DMM on one part of the plug. Insert the other probe into each of the 3 wires one by one until you read continuity. You might need to press hard, to go through the insulation of the wire, unless you stripped it and exposed the bare wire. Wire up the new jack the same way.
Sometimes the internal wires are enameled and that enamel needs to be burnt off before a connection can be made. Can you let us know how you're doing with the fix?
Get one of these (doesn't have to be a radioshack one, its just what worked for me), a soldering iron (or 'pen' as some call it) some solder, and wire strippers. A sharp knife can substitute for wire strippers if you're good.
Cut off the old 3.5mm jack on the end and strip the entire wire exposing 3 more wires.
Twist off the black cover of the new headphone jack and slide it onto the cord.
It should look like this (except the green one should also be stripped)
Solder the black wire to the large prong, the red wire to the bottom prong, and the green wire to the top prong. Each prong has its own hole, so you can tell how they're separated.
Then you just screw the black case onto the new jack and it should hold up well.
For the enamel part I'd use sandpaper, but those M50's didn't have any.
As for the current state of the headphones, I was awful at soldering at the time, it was my 2nd solder job ever, and they only lasted about 2 weeks, so I recommend having someone else do it if you haven't before.
I do know that they didn't work until I soldered them - if I just twisted the wires on, they didn't work at all.
Anyway, my friend actually doesn't care about the wasted $150 so I asked to fix them proper this time, but I haven't been able to talk to him in months. I have my own M50s and they're still going strong years later, but I still have the other 3.5mm jack in my closet just in case.
Edited by retrotails - 10/10/13 at 11:31pm
Would you happen to know where to get a stock replacement for the coiled cable? Also, are you planning to get a jack that screws into the 1/4" adapter that comes with the headphones?
Edited by HipHopDj - 10/12/13 at 9:25pm
It has already been done. I don't know where to get actual Audio Technica ones, but I know you can get a gold one with a spring at Radio Shack. I don't know if it fits the thick ATH-M50 cables or not, and I don't think it has the 1/4" screw.
- ATH-M50 needs a new jack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 40 seconds ago
- › OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here 46 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 3 minutes ago
- › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro 4 minutes ago
- › Ottawa Regional meet - September 2015 - respond here 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000Z by Currawong
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by mark2410
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by yfnt
- › Noble Audio Savant by Loquah
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by Arturs Travkins
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2