or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG new headphone K545?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG new headphone K545? - Page 40

post #586 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

hahah yea... the k545 is really underhyped right now. it wasn't even on my radar & im usually all over sub-$300 closed, portable headphones.

 

competition really brings out the best in the market. hopefully, it'll help drive prices down rather than the other way around. akg is pretty legit b/c their headphones are usually very fairly priced & you can find very well-made products discounted after some time.

 

If I didn't have a surplus of headphones right now, I'd get the K545's in a heartbeat for $200. My only experience with AKG are the 30 year old K240 Sextetts that I got recently, and they are incredible. So my new found warm and fuzzies towards AKG, as well as dweaver's ongoing endorsement of the K545's, continues to help me feel that I would really like them.

post #587 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

woooo strong words lol.

 

so to be even more assertive and frank... out of the mentioned how would you place them in order of preference? I know from a previous run in that you don't like bass heavy headphones.

I know the k545 is more spacious than the 7520(a lot of hp's are) but I will test the details. I also find it very believable for the k545 to have more clarity/transparency.

 

The 7520 is no slouch, I do like it. The vocals are actually full-bodied and the headphone is very tight and musical. But if I had to make a choice....I think the K545 works best for most types of music

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

every time he hears a new pair of headphones... lol #ride dat hypetrain

 

 

At least I own headphones...and have actually heard them :rolleyes:

post #588 of 1722
Wow lots of great discussion!! I am like Beagle with this headphone, I enjoy it and my Q701 pretty equally and would probably give K545 the nod if pressed.

I will be meeting with a fellow head-fi'er tomorrow to hear the NAD VISO so will have something to post tomorrow in regards to that headphone. The fellow member has a K120 as well so I will get the treat of hearing hires flac files from an audiophile quality portable player to boot smily_headphones1.gif.

I have a suspicion I will love the sound stage of the VISO but may be left wanting in regards to mids and treble, but will see as I may be off the mark completely.
Edited by dweaver - 12/17/13 at 7:15pm
post #589 of 1722

Sounds like Peter in his closed phones thread missing all these new big competitors, Yamaha mt220 , Sony 7520, AKG 545, Focal Spirit Pro.

How bout some TH600 ;) ?


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 12/17/13 at 7:31pm
post #590 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

At least I own headphones...and have actually heard them :rolleyes:

hahaha... if my ears worked like yours, I would probably been broke right now. :wink: I think it's very cute how w/ every new pair of headphones, your comment are something along the lines of "best sound for the value" until the next new pair comes out.

 

the sale price point of $200 is much lower than the $300-price-point most closed/portables debut at, so these babies really do look like great value. i'm very interested in trying em.

post #591 of 1722

You should fill out your profile so we know of which headphones you speak of comparison-wise.

post #592 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

You should fill out your profile so we know of which headphones you speak of comparison-wise.


do you mean me?

post #593 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

You should fill out your profile so we know of which headphones you speak of comparison-wise.

+1 

even if its a cheapy or something off of memory a reference would be great.

post #594 of 1722
I think it's safe just to ignore "contribitions" from this user, he was called out in other threads like Ultrasone Sig DJ already for his marvelous price based observations on how phones supposed to sound and compare based on MSRP alone. I am actually not sure he has any phones at all.
post #595 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Sounds like Peter in his closed phones thread missing all these new big competitors, Yamaha mt220 , Sony 7520, AKG 545, Focal Spirit Pro.

How bout some TH600 ;) ?

Now that isn't a fair fight Andrew.... you know it.:mad: 


Edited by grizzlybeast - 12/17/13 at 8:34pm
post #596 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

I think it's safe just to ignore "contribitions" from this user, he was called out in other threads like Ultrasone Sig DJ already for his marvelous price based observations on how phones supposed to sound and compare based on MSRP alone. I am actually not sure he has any phones at all.

lol if you just look at my sig, you can see I do have headphones. why would I be wasting my time here on this forum if i didn't have any headphones slash interest in headphones? lol

 

sorry that my perspective is based in performance-price ratio, but as a poor student that is my bias. sorry, but not everyone here chasing the fluffy dream of audioperfection has unlimited funds to throw down willynilly. I've noticed a lot of audiophiles here often get carried away by the sound of their equipment (which is really cute to see people so passionate), but a lot of us mere mortals have to ask more practical questions about how much the performance actually scales up w/ the price & what exactly is the sonic improvements that are achieved with the higher-end equipment. A lot of people who browse these forums have a different background where it doesn't make sense to throw down double-triple the money for a small sonic improvement.

 

so since it seems that us regular folk aren't allowed to participate in this exclusive audiophile club until after giving their credentials, here you go:

owned: IE2, ATH-NC7, M100, K550, Momentum, MDR-1R, LP, HE400

demoed: M50, UE6000, Pro900, Pro500, Q701, P5/P7, AHD2000, HD650/700, PXC450, QC15, and lots of Beats/skullcandy-like headphones that no one here would be interested in

 

Okay, after that completely off-topic side-discussion is outta the way... Now am I allowed to participate in discussions w/ all you audiophile head-phone gods here on this thread? :tongue: mmm... i love how you can always count on some headphoneus supremus here to make newer members feel oh-so-welcome here at the friendly community of head-fi.

post #597 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

lol if you just look at my sig, you can see I do have headphones. why would I be wasting my time here on this forum if i didn't have any headphones slash interest in headphones? lol

 

sorry that my perspective is based in performance-price ratio, but as a poor student that is my bias. sorry, but not everyone here chasing the fluffy dream of audioperfection has unlimited funds to throw down willynilly. I've noticed a lot of audiophiles here often get carried away by the sound of their equipment (which is really cute to see people so passionate), but a lot of us mere mortals have to ask more practical questions about how much the performance actually scales up w/ the price & what exactly is the sonic improvements that are achieved with the higher-end equipment. A lot of people who browse these forums have a different background where it doesn't make sense to throw down double-triple the money for a small sonic improvement.

 

so since it seems that us regular folk aren't allowed to participate in this exclusive audiophile club until after giving their credentials, here you go:

owned: IE2, ATH-NC7, M100, K550, Momentum, MDR-1R, LP, HE400

demoed: M50, UE6000, Pro900, Pro500, Q701, P5/P7, AHD2000, HD650/700, PXC450, QC15, and lots of Beats/skullcandy-like headphones that no one here would be interested in

 

Okay, after that completely off-topic side-discussion is outta the way... Now am I allowed to participate in discussions w/ all you audiophile head-phone gods here on this thread? :tongue: mmm... i love how you can always count on some headphoneus supremus here to make newer members feel oh-so-welcome here at the friendly community of head-fi.

   As soon as you spit an opinion about a headphone I am game bro and will definitely consider what you say. I don't agree with everything I have read beagle post, nor anyone for that matter in a literal sense... but when you stick your neck out and say randomly that someone is riding the bandwagons of every phone that comes out, the first thing I did was check your profile to see if I should take you seriously  or if you are stirring wrath. Not to see if you had credentials or had good gear or any of the likes.  I am not offended by it because this is the internet and to take something personal is kinda off kilter. However, there are trolls (people who make up stuff) and people who want to say things just to have fun (to each his own) and updating your profile is a way to show people that you are genuinely interested so they can give you an ear. 

 

If you would have said "Beagle seems to like every new headphone so I want to hear them for myself" then I would have known you were interested in the headphone instead of having fun by being out of line. Though that ^is still not my style to each his own.

post #598 of 1722

sorry to rain some more on you money4me247 but reading your posts, you are the one who has given back handed comments in the thread and now your feeling picked on because of it. Instead of worrying about what other members spend on headphones and whether they are to enthusiastic for your liking simply block them so you don't have to read their posts and focus on your own pursuit for a headphone and leave it at that.  My first and only post on this subject.

 

Getting back to the subject at hand, and to answer your question about whether you would like this headphone. MalveauX commented this comparing the HE400 with the Q701:

 

Q701:

 

Slightly warmer than neutral, focus is on the mids & treble; large but accurate sound stage. Slightly analytical sound.

 

HE400:

 

Very warm (bassy), with slightly dark treble (not bright), focus is on mids and bass; good sound stage. "Fun" sound.

 

I would agree with his take on the Q701. So based on that and my knowledge of the K545 which has a bit more bass than the Q701 with a bit warmer midrange and a bit tamer treble, I think you might like the K545 as it will be slightly more neutral than your HE400 but not so much that you won't be able to enjoy it. At $200 I think it's a steal of a deal...

post #599 of 1722

@Beagle, my comments were not meant to be back-handed or offensive, so I apologize if I offended you. I just meant it's cool how passionate you get about your new headphones. I also didn't mean hype in a negative sense lol. I personally am super hyped about these headphones & jumpin on dat train right now (...or at least whenever I get more $$$)!!! :D hahaha. your comments & impressions are always pretty helpful & appreciated because of your extensive headphone background.

 

just side note, I just don't think really nice to bring up other discussions from other threads to discredit people. I personally don't think anything I've said on other threads (ex: pro 500 or ultrasone pro dj) were out of line. I never made comments about SQ when I didn't own the headphones; just observations about price & questioning how worth it certain headphones are compared to similar cheaper alternatives. I know I pissed off a few head-fiers in those threads, but I never had any ill-intent & I think those kinds of discussions are always really helpful for potential buyers with limited funds weighing different options.

 

blah... i always thought those headphone inventory lists were kinda pretentious, but @grizzlybeast & beagle, you guys make a good point. I actually have recently found myself checking headphone lists to see what the reviewer's background is. sooo finish updating profile now lol... if anyone wants to check it out :P

Sorry to slightly derail the thread hahah. Ready to read more akg k545 impressions :popcorn: 


Edited by money4me247 - 12/17/13 at 9:48pm
post #600 of 1722
OK had a chance to listen to the NAD VISO P50 today.

Build and comfort wise it looks awesome and seems solid but the cup was smaller than the K545, enough so I was concerned about pain for long listening sessions.

Sound wise I thought it was as good as the K545 but different. It is good enough and different enough I may consider buying it as an alternative to the K545. In my mind they are the 2 best portable headphones I have heard.

Bass - the K545 went deeper but had slightly less volume, the P50 had more mid bass but not in an excess way.

Midrange - The K545 has an emphasis higher up in the midrange, the P50 has an emphasis at a lower point in the midrange. The difference being voices were warmer on the P50 and cymbals had more emphasis on the initial crash while the K545 had more emphasis on the sizzle and decay. I found the P50 a bit harsh on a few songs and was turning them down to compensate.

Treble - I actually found these to quite similar treble responses, liking them both equally.

Sound stage - I think they both have excellent sound stages but the P50 does a a bit better job of creating an out of head sound. The K545 is what I would call a bit more analytical the P50 a bit more organic.

The level of detail between the phones was very similar except that each presented things a bit differently based on my signature descriptions above.

Bottom line sonically. If you have issues with upper mids/lower treble the P50 is a safer option. If you find a bit lower mids to be "shouty" then the K545 might be a better option. If you not sure which one you will like and can't audition them, FLIP A COIN!! because the odds are will like either one wink.gif

Before I forget. All my testing was done using John's K120 using 24bit FLAC files. The player was stunning ($1400 price it should be!!!) So both headphones were represented in the absolute best possibly scenario source wise.

One final point. The P50 was a much more efficient headphone needing quite a bit less volume as compared to the K545.

I won't be rushing out to buy the P50 but I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up owning a pair some day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG new headphone K545?