The K545 simply are to new to have lots of reviews. I am confident they will have a huge customer base over time. I like the last few posts, they all give good information, pay particular attention to shinbones comments about the Q701 being used straight from a portable player IT'S IMPORTANT!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 550tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
- productAKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 v AKG 551 v Sennheiser Momentum Last post on 5/2/14 at 11:44am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- looking for a pair of closed back headphones (over ear) for use out of the house up to a price... Last post on 11/6/13 at 1:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice Last post on 12/19/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
AKG new headphone K545? - Page 34
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I find it worrying though that the glue becomes softer with time, so with excessive use would they stop working.
How long would these last because I don't plan on replacing them any time soon.
I think you reading to much into his theory of driver burnin. While no one knows for sure how long this headphone will last in daily use (it's only a couple months old after all), I highly doubt it will fail easily. AKG has been making headphones for a long time and their products generally last for years and years.
Lukalop, I didn't mean to suggest the glue may fail soon.
For one, "glue getting softer" is just my guess. It is a common theory with guitar amplifier speakers, and that is why I mentioned it. There are a tons of vintage speakers (both hi-fi and guitar amps) still in service. Like anything with moving parts, components wear and loosen / soften with use. It is nothing out of ordinary. Once guitar amp speakers settle (once the glue gets softer from its initial stiffness), they are good for years and years of use, often under less than ideal conditions (gigs on hot days, cold nights, high humidity, accidental beer spillage, storage in non-air conditioned places, etc., etc).
And two: there are a lot of people who do not believe speakers change sound as they are used. I am pretty sure some people who read my post would argue I am only imagining it. You'll have to see for yourself.
K545 is very solid. Its build quality is very good. The way the cups stay where you put them is very assuring -- a lot of headphones do not do this. I am pretty sure they are very durable and reliable.
I think the question you should ask yourself is where you are going to use the headphones, and with what source.
Edited by Shinnbone - 12/11/13 at 11:00am
I listened to both last night and preferred the K545. It has more delicacy and refinement IMO.
UPS tracking page keeps lying ... hopefully I'll get the Sony delivered tomorrow.
Beagle, I see you have some headphones I've been considering. How do the K545, NAD HP50, Soundmagic HP100, and Sony MDR-7520 compare? I am specifically interested in on-the-go portable use.
Edited by Shinnbone - 12/11/13 at 4:12pm
Thanks Beagle, I thought that might be the case. I owned the 7520 very briefly and from memory thought the K545 would be better in those areas but direct A/B comparison is much better than going by memory.
Thats exactly what I was going to say but refrained since I don't have both. The 7520 has a lot going for it but the k545 had a softer smoother sound from what I remember.
Everything you said could be right. I just said smoother. I don't know if more refined is right or not but the 7520 is a sharp sounding headphone. Its not what you would call smooth or soft. It is very balanced and its bass has more detail than any hp I have ever heard(mayby not lcd2)
- AKG new headphone K545?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › ZMF x Vibro Impressions, & Discussion Thread! 2 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 23 seconds ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 51 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 59 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Should I get the Superlux HD 631 or Kicker HP402 1 minute ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › Headphones fast and slow 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)