Hey man do you know if the K 545 seals well with smaller heads unlike the older K 550? To be specific does she clamp tighter?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 550tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
- productAKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 v AKG 551 v Sennheiser Momentum Last post on 5/2/14 at 11:44am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- looking for a pair of closed back headphones (over ear) for use out of the house up to a price... Last post on 11/6/13 at 1:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice Last post on 12/19/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
This is my first Brainwavz earphones, many thanks to Brainwavz for the review sample! When I wrote this review, I have used it for almost 2 weeks, around 2 hours daily. A happy ending...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
AKG new headphone K545? - Page 33
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I had these things on pre-order man and I got the yamaha hph mt220 because I simply did not like the k550 and wanted to try something totally different. The yamaha does a lot of things better but if I could have done it all over I would go with the k545. I like how it was clear and un cluttered. It had me squeezing my eyebrows. I used to love the momentum but these made them sound bad...no joke. if I buy a portable again it will be these for sure and in orange.
It does not clamp tighter but achieves a bit easier/better seal due to the thinner pads have less surface area which increases the pressure over square inch. Having said that Beagle has some issues with seal, so it will not be perfect. Did you have a severe problem with the K550?
I had an issue as well with the seal, specifically at the top of the ear. but it was fixed when i tightened the headband up top. It did seem to be a tighter fit over the k550 though for sure.
I really shouldnt be making all these impressions off of one visit but I can't help it. These things struck a chord with me for sure and I remember them clearly.
Edited by grizzlybeast - 12/10/13 at 6:02pm
Lets just say even with the earcups tilted inward it barely clamps teh head. For a size reference my Senn HD 558 fit perfectly =D
But dang these look like a real good choice for closed cans! BTW just curious of where you bought your pair of K 545's because the only place I know that have these in stock is avshop.ca (i'm in canada too).
I found the 558 a bit tight on my head so you might have trouble with fit. You might be able to bend the headband though or use a different set of pads. I believe someone in the thread is using the HM5 pads fron Brainwavz which would definitely make these tighter.
Edit: OMG the Q701's are available for just 210! They were previously 500. Why are they so cheap?! It signals to me that they may not be very good..
Edited by Lukalop - 12/11/13 at 2:06am
How do they compare?
I like both headphones equally but use the K545 more often because it doesn't need and amplifier plus it is isolating so better for outside and public use.
Edited by dweaver - 12/11/13 at 5:24am
I am now considering the Q701 because although it lacks bass and needs an amp I have heard rave reviews about it, however this is not the case with the K545, although this may come down to the fact that it is relatively new, plus it is more than over 50% off and I thought since it originally cost 500 whilst the K545 costs just 200, then it must outperform it by a lot because it is a tier up.
So on the face of it, a headphone worth 500 vs 200, I would presume the one for 500 would vastly outperform the latter since it is more than twice the price! Either that or the headphone has been made extremely inefficiently..
I have a K701, have used Q701, and just auditioned a K545 for a couple of weeks.
Lukalop, if you are only going to use the headphones at home AND have a source (CD player, stereo system, etc.) with a decently powerful headphone amp section, get the Q701. The soundstage is much wider than the K545. Also, there is more depth -- some instruments are clearly further away than others -- whereas with the K545, all the instruments are about the same distance away. Instrument separation is also much better with the K/Q701. You can sense spaces between each instrument. With the K545, the whole band comes to you more as a solid mass. I always thought the Q/K701's sound as "shower," where you can feel each drop of water separately. With the K545, it's more like a stream form a hose.
But if you are going to use the headphones on the go, definitely stay away from the Q701. Also, if you are using your iPod / iPad / cell phone / computer as your music player, Q701 will not sound good AT ALL. K701 from my cell phone or computer sounds as if I'm standing at 1 end of a tunnel, and there is a tiny boombox at the other end. Tinny with an inordinate amount of reverb. At the very least you need a decent CD player or a stereo system with a fairly powerful internal headphone amp to drive the Q701.
K545 is very clear, almost as clear as the Q/K701. It has more bass than the Q701, and quite a bit more than the K701. For rock and harder fusion (Tribal Tech, the Aristocrats, etc.), K545 is more enjoyable (at least for me) than the Q/K701.
I noticed that all 3 require quite a bit of burn-in. If you do not think a headphone's sound changes as they are being used more and more, you can ignore what I'm about to say … but until about 20 hours in, the K545's bass was a little anemic. I fidgeted with cup angle and placement to get acceptable bass, but on some songs the low frequencies were almost inaudible. After 20 hours or so, the bass bloomed. At that point, I noticed this: I get to work, I put the K545 on, and it takes about a song for the sound to settle. Kind of like a mini-burn-in. If I used the headphones continuously, at the end of the workday the bass would be almost overwhelming. I would adjust the cup angle and placement to *lower* the bass quantity. This makes me think the K545 takes much more than 20-40 hours before the sound settles. After 20 or so hours, the volume increased, too. I think certain components get looser and create more volume and low end. Coming from guitar amp experience, where speaker burn-in is a recognized phenomenon, I would say the glue that attaches the cone to the chassis is probably getting softer.
Also, the cup angle and placement, not to mention the seal, greatly affect the sound. The great thing is, the cups swivel up/down and also forward/backward, and they stay put once you find a spot.
All my listening at work was done straight from my phone (HTC EVO 4G LTE), and at home I compared the K701 and the K545 straight from the headphone out of my Sony CD Player. With a dedicated DAC/amp, the result would most likely be different.
On a different note: I ordered a Sony MDR-7520. Would be interesting to see how it compares to the K545.
Edited by Shinnbone - 12/11/13 at 8:26am
- AKG new headphone K545?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado e Series 50 seconds ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Grado PS500, like new (warranty) 5 minutes ago
- › Conflicting information on Cables and other audiophile components. 10 minutes ago
- › Soooo... Who remembers this place? 11 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 11 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 12 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)