- 5,662 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 550tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
- productAKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 v AKG 551 v Sennheiser Momentum Last post on 5/2/14 at 11:44am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- looking for a pair of closed back headphones (over ear) for use out of the house up to a price... Last post on 11/6/13 at 1:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice Last post on 12/19/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
AKG new headphone K545? - Page 27
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Since comparisons were brought up, how would you compare them to its competition?
Mainly in speed, isolation, balance. Couldn't care less about the sound sig, as long as its balanced.
1R has similar levels of isolation, is slower, and not as balanced in my opinion, the K545 has deeper bass extension.
The M80 is not as isolating, has similar speed, is more balanced but at has less bass and treble extension.
M500 is possibly a bit faster and is more linear but has less isolation.
The Momentum is similar in speed, has warmer mids, not as deep a bass and not as extended highs, I believe the Momentum might be a bit more isolating.
I have not heard the rest unfortunately.
As soon as I get the pads softened up and the fit fully taken care of, these will be one of my best
I was testing a new mid tier IEM tonight and decided to A/B them against the K545 and I was amazed at how much more detail the K545 was presenting while maintaining such a good bass presence for the cellos (I was listening to Hurt by 2 Cellos (Sulic and Hauser)). I then was concerned I was being too harsh or unfair to the IEM so I compared the Q701 and MA900 using the same song and I simply preferred the K545 to my two open headphones. The Q701 was a close 2nd due to the larger sound stage and slightly gentler presentation of the song. But the level of detail, heavier but not over done bass, and slightly more vivid midrange while still maintaining decent sized soundstage put the K545 over the top. The MA900 sounded almost anemic in comparison to both AKG's.
So I got the K545s a little while ago, maybe 3 1/2 weeks ago. I guess you could say that these are now my new portable headphones, easily replacing my DT 770 Pro 80s and ATH-M50s. While I enjoy a good, bass-ey pair of cans, the DT 770s were a bit inconvenient for campus travel since they're uncomfortable to wear around the neck. Additionally, the mids and uppers are much more pleasant to listen to with my recent playlists. Furthermore, my ATH-M50s are overall nice, but the K545s have much more pleasant highs while maintaing a solid bass. Overall, I'm generally very pleased with the sound.
Build wise, I'd love a better headband. The current one, to me, is underpadded and could really use more padding, or at least a softer padding. The black and bronze color scheme is beautiful to me. The cord however, is the bane of these cans. I know that many here have critiqued the cord, and I can't reiterate that enough. The dumb thing is too short for desktop-rig use and too flimsy to feel good about it. It'd be fine if it was a standard 3.5mm jack, but it's 2.5mm, so I'd need an adapter for swapping in a better cord that has a little more length. On the flip side, I love that it has both an Apple cord and a non-apple cord, because I frankly hate the influx of apple cords on great headphones without an option for standard cords.
Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the K545.
Had a chance to do proper auditioning of K550 (my colleague brought one to work) against my dynamatted MDR-1R.
K550 sounds airier and more spacious but completely gutless at the bottom with nasty spike in treble. When drums hit and rumble on MDR-1R, I can hear just pathetic hint of that on K550, midrange also was quite distant and clinical.
The first impression was "wow, those sound big", but after further listening quite unengaging, liked the build though but hated the fit.
Wanted to do an honest head to head as got an offer to trade MDR-1R for K550, well, guess Sony stays.
To each his own.
Hope K545 fix the shortcomings of K550, need to give them a try at local Best Buy.
- AKG new headphone K545?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 2 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 4 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed. A Teeny-Weeny Update! (page 104) 5 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)