- 5,730 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 550tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
- productAKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 v AKG 551 v Sennheiser Momentum Last post on 5/2/14 at 11:44am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- looking for a pair of closed back headphones (over ear) for use out of the house up to a price... Last post on 11/6/13 at 1:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice Last post on 12/19/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
Bose QC20/QC20i Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse potentially inflicted upon me, unlike those who received free...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
AKG new headphone K545? - Page 27
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Since comparisons were brought up, how would you compare them to its competition?
Mainly in speed, isolation, balance. Couldn't care less about the sound sig, as long as its balanced.
1R has similar levels of isolation, is slower, and not as balanced in my opinion, the K545 has deeper bass extension.
The M80 is not as isolating, has similar speed, is more balanced but at has less bass and treble extension.
M500 is possibly a bit faster and is more linear but has less isolation.
The Momentum is similar in speed, has warmer mids, not as deep a bass and not as extended highs, I believe the Momentum might be a bit more isolating.
I have not heard the rest unfortunately.
As soon as I get the pads softened up and the fit fully taken care of, these will be one of my best
I was testing a new mid tier IEM tonight and decided to A/B them against the K545 and I was amazed at how much more detail the K545 was presenting while maintaining such a good bass presence for the cellos (I was listening to Hurt by 2 Cellos (Sulic and Hauser)). I then was concerned I was being too harsh or unfair to the IEM so I compared the Q701 and MA900 using the same song and I simply preferred the K545 to my two open headphones. The Q701 was a close 2nd due to the larger sound stage and slightly gentler presentation of the song. But the level of detail, heavier but not over done bass, and slightly more vivid midrange while still maintaining decent sized soundstage put the K545 over the top. The MA900 sounded almost anemic in comparison to both AKG's.
So I got the K545s a little while ago, maybe 3 1/2 weeks ago. I guess you could say that these are now my new portable headphones, easily replacing my DT 770 Pro 80s and ATH-M50s. While I enjoy a good, bass-ey pair of cans, the DT 770s were a bit inconvenient for campus travel since they're uncomfortable to wear around the neck. Additionally, the mids and uppers are much more pleasant to listen to with my recent playlists. Furthermore, my ATH-M50s are overall nice, but the K545s have much more pleasant highs while maintaing a solid bass. Overall, I'm generally very pleased with the sound.
Build wise, I'd love a better headband. The current one, to me, is underpadded and could really use more padding, or at least a softer padding. The black and bronze color scheme is beautiful to me. The cord however, is the bane of these cans. I know that many here have critiqued the cord, and I can't reiterate that enough. The dumb thing is too short for desktop-rig use and too flimsy to feel good about it. It'd be fine if it was a standard 3.5mm jack, but it's 2.5mm, so I'd need an adapter for swapping in a better cord that has a little more length. On the flip side, I love that it has both an Apple cord and a non-apple cord, because I frankly hate the influx of apple cords on great headphones without an option for standard cords.
Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the K545.
Had a chance to do proper auditioning of K550 (my colleague brought one to work) against my dynamatted MDR-1R.
K550 sounds airier and more spacious but completely gutless at the bottom with nasty spike in treble. When drums hit and rumble on MDR-1R, I can hear just pathetic hint of that on K550, midrange also was quite distant and clinical.
The first impression was "wow, those sound big", but after further listening quite unengaging, liked the build though but hated the fit.
Wanted to do an honest head to head as got an offer to trade MDR-1R for K550, well, guess Sony stays.
To each his own.
Hope K545 fix the shortcomings of K550, need to give them a try at local Best Buy.
- AKG new headphone K545?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Destiny 15 seconds ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 37 seconds ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 43 seconds ago
- › FiiO E18 Review 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 1 minute ago
- › Chi-Uni-Fi 8.5 Chicago Area HP Meet - Nov 8th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 5 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)