- 5,463 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 550tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
- productAKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- looking for a pair of closed back headphones (over ear) for use out of the house up to a price... Last post on 11/6/13 at 1:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice Last post on 12/19/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What to get for Christmas? Last post on 12/6/12 at 3:37am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
AKG new headphone K545? - Page 27post #391 of 135111/30/13 at 7:41pmThe cups turn and lay flat but no folding.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #392 of 135111/30/13 at 7:45pmpost #393 of 135112/2/13 at 8:26amI pulled out my UE900 this morning and was amazed out how sharp the treble and midrange was compared to the K545. They just sounded off to me. Considering I used to prefer the UE900 type signature it affirms for me that the K545 is not as bright as headphones like the UE900, SRH940, K550 etc.post #394 of 135112/2/13 at 6:21pm
Since comparisons were brought up, how would you compare them to its competition?
Mainly in speed, isolation, balance. Couldn't care less about the sound sig, as long as its balanced.post #395 of 135112/2/13 at 7:45pm
1R has similar levels of isolation, is slower, and not as balanced in my opinion, the K545 has deeper bass extension.
The M80 is not as isolating, has similar speed, is more balanced but at has less bass and treble extension.
M500 is possibly a bit faster and is more linear but has less isolation.
The Momentum is similar in speed, has warmer mids, not as deep a bass and not as extended highs, I believe the Momentum might be a bit more isolating.
I have not heard the rest unfortunately.post #396 of 135112/3/13 at 12:11ampost #397 of 135112/3/13 at 5:17ampost #398 of 135112/3/13 at 5:44ampost #399 of 135112/3/13 at 7:38amQuote:
As soon as I get the pads softened up and the fit fully taken care of, these will be one of my bestpost #400 of 135112/3/13 at 7:34pm
I was testing a new mid tier IEM tonight and decided to A/B them against the K545 and I was amazed at how much more detail the K545 was presenting while maintaining such a good bass presence for the cellos (I was listening to Hurt by 2 Cellos (Sulic and Hauser)). I then was concerned I was being too harsh or unfair to the IEM so I compared the Q701 and MA900 using the same song and I simply preferred the K545 to my two open headphones. The Q701 was a close 2nd due to the larger sound stage and slightly gentler presentation of the song. But the level of detail, heavier but not over done bass, and slightly more vivid midrange while still maintaining decent sized soundstage put the K545 over the top. The MA900 sounded almost anemic in comparison to both AKG's.post #401 of 135112/4/13 at 5:02pm
So I got the K545s a little while ago, maybe 3 1/2 weeks ago. I guess you could say that these are now my new portable headphones, easily replacing my DT 770 Pro 80s and ATH-M50s. While I enjoy a good, bass-ey pair of cans, the DT 770s were a bit inconvenient for campus travel since they're uncomfortable to wear around the neck. Additionally, the mids and uppers are much more pleasant to listen to with my recent playlists. Furthermore, my ATH-M50s are overall nice, but the K545s have much more pleasant highs while maintaing a solid bass. Overall, I'm generally very pleased with the sound.
Build wise, I'd love a better headband. The current one, to me, is underpadded and could really use more padding, or at least a softer padding. The black and bronze color scheme is beautiful to me. The cord however, is the bane of these cans. I know that many here have critiqued the cord, and I can't reiterate that enough. The dumb thing is too short for desktop-rig use and too flimsy to feel good about it. It'd be fine if it was a standard 3.5mm jack, but it's 2.5mm, so I'd need an adapter for swapping in a better cord that has a little more length. On the flip side, I love that it has both an Apple cord and a non-apple cord, because I frankly hate the influx of apple cords on great headphones without an option for standard cords.
Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the K545.post #402 of 135112/4/13 at 6:03pmpost #403 of 135112/4/13 at 7:19pmGlad to see your enjoying your K545 jmatushin, I agree with your impressions. They are quite similar to mine. I hear you in regards to the bass, midrange, and treble. These are a very pleasant sounding headphone .post #404 of 135112/4/13 at 7:51pmQuote:
Had a chance to do proper auditioning of K550 (my colleague brought one to work) against my dynamatted MDR-1R.
K550 sounds airier and more spacious but completely gutless at the bottom with nasty spike in treble. When drums hit and rumble on MDR-1R, I can hear just pathetic hint of that on K550, midrange also was quite distant and clinical.
The first impression was "wow, those sound big", but after further listening quite unengaging, liked the build though but hated the fit.
Wanted to do an honest head to head as got an offer to trade MDR-1R for K550, well, guess Sony stays.
To each his own.
Hope K545 fix the shortcomings of K550, need to give them a try at local Best Buy.post #405 of 135112/4/13 at 8:48pmThe K545 resolves all your concerns in my opinion but a listen for yourself would be best. I have owned both 1R and K550 and sold both because of their individual shortcomings. The K545 has more sub bass than the 1R with with most of the K550 goodness minus most of the K550 issue in the treble. One thing to keep in mind, these sound good to great from a portable player but jump to a whole other level wih the right amp/DAC combo. I am using an Audio engine D1 and it has amazing synergy with the K545.
- AKG new headphone K545?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › FS: iBasso DX50 25 seconds ago
- › Want to Buy the King Of IEM (best iem in the market) Noble Kaiser... 1 minute ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 4 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio - An overlooked brand of nice IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! 4 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 5 minutes ago
- › ::Mad Dog VS A900 - The Next Chapter?:: 6 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob