- 6,394 Posts. Joined 12/2008
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best setup for a trucker? Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K551 OR K550? Last post on 1/24/15 at 9:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- WANTED AKG K550, K551 and K7xx Last post on 2/4/15 at 1:48pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- How is K550 different from K545? Last post on 12/6/14 at 5:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help choosing my first "decent" over ear headphones? Last post on 9/15/14 at 1:59pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Hello, I owned a J3 32GB player for 2 or three years, so I got to know all it's advantages and disadvantages. The good This thing has much more output power than most non-audiophile...
AKG new headphone K545? - Page 27
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Since comparisons were brought up, how would you compare them to its competition?
Mainly in speed, isolation, balance. Couldn't care less about the sound sig, as long as its balanced.
1R has similar levels of isolation, is slower, and not as balanced in my opinion, the K545 has deeper bass extension.
The M80 is not as isolating, has similar speed, is more balanced but at has less bass and treble extension.
M500 is possibly a bit faster and is more linear but has less isolation.
The Momentum is similar in speed, has warmer mids, not as deep a bass and not as extended highs, I believe the Momentum might be a bit more isolating.
I have not heard the rest unfortunately.
As soon as I get the pads softened up and the fit fully taken care of, these will be one of my best
I was testing a new mid tier IEM tonight and decided to A/B them against the K545 and I was amazed at how much more detail the K545 was presenting while maintaining such a good bass presence for the cellos (I was listening to Hurt by 2 Cellos (Sulic and Hauser)). I then was concerned I was being too harsh or unfair to the IEM so I compared the Q701 and MA900 using the same song and I simply preferred the K545 to my two open headphones. The Q701 was a close 2nd due to the larger sound stage and slightly gentler presentation of the song. But the level of detail, heavier but not over done bass, and slightly more vivid midrange while still maintaining decent sized soundstage put the K545 over the top. The MA900 sounded almost anemic in comparison to both AKG's.
So I got the K545s a little while ago, maybe 3 1/2 weeks ago. I guess you could say that these are now my new portable headphones, easily replacing my DT 770 Pro 80s and ATH-M50s. While I enjoy a good, bass-ey pair of cans, the DT 770s were a bit inconvenient for campus travel since they're uncomfortable to wear around the neck. Additionally, the mids and uppers are much more pleasant to listen to with my recent playlists. Furthermore, my ATH-M50s are overall nice, but the K545s have much more pleasant highs while maintaing a solid bass. Overall, I'm generally very pleased with the sound.
Build wise, I'd love a better headband. The current one, to me, is underpadded and could really use more padding, or at least a softer padding. The black and bronze color scheme is beautiful to me. The cord however, is the bane of these cans. I know that many here have critiqued the cord, and I can't reiterate that enough. The dumb thing is too short for desktop-rig use and too flimsy to feel good about it. It'd be fine if it was a standard 3.5mm jack, but it's 2.5mm, so I'd need an adapter for swapping in a better cord that has a little more length. On the flip side, I love that it has both an Apple cord and a non-apple cord, because I frankly hate the influx of apple cords on great headphones without an option for standard cords.
Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the K545.
Had a chance to do proper auditioning of K550 (my colleague brought one to work) against my dynamatted MDR-1R.
K550 sounds airier and more spacious but completely gutless at the bottom with nasty spike in treble. When drums hit and rumble on MDR-1R, I can hear just pathetic hint of that on K550, midrange also was quite distant and clinical.
The first impression was "wow, those sound big", but after further listening quite unengaging, liked the build though but hated the fit.
Wanted to do an honest head to head as got an offer to trade MDR-1R for K550, well, guess Sony stays.
To each his own.
Hope K545 fix the shortcomings of K550, need to give them a try at local Best Buy.
- AKG new headphone K545?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 40 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Edition 600 ohms (EU) 58 seconds ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 3 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts? 4 minutes ago
- › Official ATH-ES7 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 5 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware 5 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 7 minutes ago
- › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?) 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Geek Out 450 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by motion2082
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by kite7
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheJniac
- › AKG K 550 by ahnvx
- › SKULLCANDY SLYR Circumaural Headset by ChromiumCola
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by JoeDoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2