Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG new headphone K545?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG new headphone K545? - Page 93

post #1381 of 1525
Thick armed glasses will definitely affect the sound quality of the K545. I wear thin armed glasses with no real detereoration but many with thicker glasses have mentioned issues with seal.
post #1382 of 1525

Just ordered these today from RazerDog and was wondering if there is a cable that people are using?  Most of the time I'm gonna be using them I'm not going to need to be able to talk on the phone so the in line mic isn't really necessary.

post #1383 of 1525

You never wear glasses with a pair of headphones unless they're open.

 

The K545 can technically be run from any source and still sound optimal as they don't require a lot of power to be driven properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestEarCN View Post
 

It was from my phone (sony xperia z2), but it was amp through the BB setup. Now that I think of it, it could be the thick glasses of mine that changed the sound.


http://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/products/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable

 

If the stock cable works on the K545 (which it does), then these will work as well. Pretty affordable, short, thick cable, starts 2.5 and terminates 3.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemm View Post
 

Just ordered these today from RazerDog and was wondering if there is a cable that people are using?  Most of the time I'm gonna be using them I'm not going to need to be able to talk on the phone so the in line mic isn't really necessary.


Edited by Semont - 5/15/14 at 2:00am
post #1384 of 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semont View Post

You never wear glasses with a pair of headphones unless they're open.

The K545 can technically be run from any source and still sound optimal as they don't require a lot of power to be driven properly.

http://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/products/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable

If the stock cable works on the K545 (which it does), then these will work as well. Pretty affordable, short, thick cable, starts 2.5 and terminates 3.5.

I do wear glasses while using my H6. They don't affect the sound by too much unless the glasses's legs are too thick
post #1385 of 1525

But.. thick glasses legs are more fashionable... Dem wayfarers...

 

Honestly, I can't stand the loss of bass when I had my glasses on with the k545's stock pads. The HM5 pads are so soft that they slip under the pads without raising them too much so that kinda works. Depending on the size of the earcups, I can compromise by having the legs go over them which doesn't disturb the earpads at all.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


I do wear glasses while using my H6. They don't affect the sound by too much unless the glasses's legs are too thick
post #1386 of 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semont View Post
 

Not sure what the fashion trends are up to [because really, I don't follow] but maybe it is because of the tiny open space the leg of the glasses created that allow the lower frequency to escape? Just my guess

post #1387 of 1525

Lower frequencies are probably more affected by open spaces in terms of dissipation. It's why on pretty much every headphone, high frequencies have to be tuned downwards in order to compensate for the space that would normally exist between a pair of speakers and it's listener.

 

Although on the other hand, it might have to do with the way sound travels through mediums. Sound travels much more effectively through solids and liquids than they do in gases. When your glasses come in between the contact of your earpads and your head, I assume some of the sound becomes dissipated into the arms of the glasses. Since sub bass and bass in general is felt more than heard, the impact of sound quality loss becomes more apparent in those frequencies.

 

Since sound across all frequencies travels at roughly the same speed, the amount of sound loss from all frequencies created from sound escaping from the gaps created by glasses must be equal. The whole "sound traveling through the earcups to earpads to head to ear canal" is all that I can think of that can explain why the most noticeable sound quality loss comes from lower frequencies.

 

So if this is true, it'll probably explain why wearing glasses will not affect the sound quality of open headphones since there is enough sound escaping from the design. I think it really holds true especially with open headphones with velour earpads since those pads are quite porous and do not allow sound to travel through them in a single direction as easily.

 

Either that or it's nearly 3 am here and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 

Not sure what the fashion trends are up to [because really, I don't follow] but maybe it is because of the tiny open space the leg of the glasses created that allow the lower frequency to escape? Just my guess


Edited by Semont - 5/15/14 at 2:49am
post #1388 of 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semont View Post
 

You never wear glasses with a pair of headphones unless they're open.

 

The K545 can technically be run from any source and still sound optimal as they don't require a lot of power to be driven properly.


http://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/products/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable

 

If the stock cable works on the K545 (which it does), then these will work as well. Pretty affordable, short, thick cable, starts 2.5 and terminates 3.5.

 

But basically it just needs to be a 2.5 to 3.5 cable?

post #1389 of 1525

Not only that but the plug for the 2.5 end has to be very slim. Most 2.5 to 3.5 adapters will be too fat to fit inside or will not reach the depth required for a proper connection. The Sennheiser cable's 2.5 plug just to happens to be slightly thinner than the plug on the AKG cable so that works out perfectly.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemm View Post
 

 

But basically it just needs to be a 2.5 to 3.5 cable?

post #1390 of 1525
Ok perfect, good to know.
 
Thanks for the help.
post #1391 of 1525

So I just returned the V moda m100's I had and probably gonna check these headphones out next. I like the m100's but they were extremely uncomfortable and I though maybe there was a little too much bass. I enjoyed the bass with pop music but when I switched over to more rock or metal.... it just got muddy. I found I perfered the sound overall of my m50's for the more guitar driven stuff. I DID very much enjoy the sound stage of the m100's and how things sounded much more real.

 

So... Do the k545 maybe fit the bill I'm looking for? Comfortable, good bass, good with rock and metal, sound stage, lively engaging sound?

post #1392 of 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeForAll28 View Post

 

So... Do the k545 maybe fit the bill I'm looking for? Comfortable, good bass, good with rock and metal, sound stage, lively engaging sound?

 

I would say so… I listen to rock, and I really have no complaints on them. If you end up getting them be sure to come back and let us know if they worked out or not.

post #1393 of 1525

Just ordered a pair, the black and orange... from razordog audio. Well I ordered it a few hours ago and it's already been shipped! Excellent service. I'm really hoping these are my end (for awhile at least) for headphones. I've spend full days at different points over the last few years researching on this site. My journey started with the Denon HP50's, then the GR07's, Ath50's, Vmoda M100(returned) and now the K545's. 

post #1394 of 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeForAll28 View Post I like the m100's but they were extremely uncomfortable and I though maybe there was a little too much bass. I enjoyed the bass with pop music but when I switched over to more rock or metal.... it just got muddy. I found I perfered the sound overall of my m50's for the more guitar driven stuff. I DID very much enjoy the sound stage of the m100's and how things sounded much more real.

 

So... Do the k545 maybe fit the bill I'm looking for? Comfortable, good bass, good with rock and metal, sound stage, lively engaging sound?

 

M100 is only uncomfortable first two days imo, then it didn't bother me anymore. I don't have K545 but from hearing it in the store I would prepare for a lighter airier sound.

post #1395 of 1525

Well, guys, my K545 suddenly broke on me. One side started playing a louder low end than the other.

I tried my other wire and a different source and there was no change. :(

I do have a warranty on them with best buy and I'll get them fixed or a new pair.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG new headphone K545?