Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG new headphone K545?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG new headphone K545?

post #1 of 1544
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, I was checking the red dot design award website and found this.

 

AKG K545

http://red-dot.de/pd/online-exhibition/work/?lang=en&code=2013-17-7438&y=2013&c=165&a=0

 

Anyone ever heard of it?

 

I am not sure if it is the problem with the image or what, it seems to has a smaller earpad than the K550 and K551. Do you think it is a portable version of the K550/551?

 

seems interesting.


Edited by bourdieu - 7/2/13 at 7:12pm
post #2 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourdieu View Post

I am not sure if it is the problem with the image or what, it seems to has a smaller earpad than the K550 and K551. Do you think it is a portable version of the K550/551?

It sure looks that way. Maybe a "gentleman's portable" à la P5 and Momentum. Given that AKG already have the Tiësto line for big bass, could it be we'll finally have a proper good sounding, "neutralish" top end portable?


Edited by Wildstar - 7/2/13 at 11:33am
post #3 of 1544

Who the hell thought that gold would be a good idea??!!

 

This is the reason why humanity is doomed!

post #4 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWithWorms View Post

Who the hell thought that gold would be a good idea??!!

 

This is the reason why humanity is doomed!

I think it will probably be referred to as 'copper' rather than gold. 

But doomed indeed. 

 

With any luck they'll produce various colours like the K500/501 or Senn Momentum etc, because then it has potential to look great.

post #5 of 1544

I think they look pretty good, and I'd like to give them a listen.

I didn't like the K550's - perhaps these are better as a 'second generation' -

or was that the K551?  I guess these are 'third generation'. 

 

Silver or copper, either way as long as they sound good.

post #6 of 1544
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar View Post

It sure looks that way. Maybe a "gentleman's portable" à la P5 and Momentum. Given that AKG already have the Tiësto line for big bass, could it be we'll finally have a proper good sounding, "neutralish" top end portable?

I hope what you said will come true. I like the K550, but they are too big for portable use. This one seems to have a much reduced earpad, though I still find it a bit big yet it's hard to tell from the image.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWithWorms View Post

Who the hell thought that gold would be a good idea??!!

 

This is the reason why humanity is doomed!

I am not a fan of that as well.... reminds me of Klipsch. Just hope they are not offering this colour only.

post #7 of 1544
And now the debate about differences with the K550/K551 begins.
post #8 of 1544
It looks like this is a good refinement of the K550 design, adding a replaceable cable (my main complaint) and changing the headband padding & earpads, to hopefully address the comfort/fit issues of the K550.

I wish AKG would stop with the ridiculous color schemes they are using these days though. They nailed it with the K550 design, started using ugly high contrast two-tone designs on the K551 and now this.
post #9 of 1544

Well, they won the award, so somebody likes the design:

 

Quote:
Statement by the jury:
The wide headband and aluminium inserts on the ear cups convey a high utility value in combination with an appealing design.

Edited by Wildstar - 7/3/13 at 2:23am
post #10 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar View Post

It sure looks that way. Maybe a "gentleman's portable" à la P5 and Momentum. Given that AKG already have the Tiësto line for big bass, could it be we'll finally have a proper good sounding, "neutralish" top end portable?

 

 

The Tiestos had big bass? Since when?

post #11 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

 

 

The Tiestos had big bass? Since when?

I assumed they had, since they replace the K181. If they don't, disregard my post.

post #12 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar View Post

I assumed they had, since they replace the K181. If they don't, disregard my post.

 

I actually don't know either, as I've only heard the K167. The K267 may have much more bass.

 

Anyway, I've found something interesting as I've kept digging. It seems a firm called Designit has been designing AKG/Harman's most recent offerings, including the K3003 and K550:

http://designit.com/cases/hearing-it-right

http://designit.com/cases/designing-the-worlds-most-advanced-earphones

 

It seems a bit odd because they seem to be doing more than just cosmetics. Could it be that AKG/Harman's passed on product development to a third party like these guys?

post #13 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

 

I actually don't know either, as I've only heard the K167. The K267 may have much more bass.

 

Anyway, I've found something interesting as I've kept digging. It seems a firm called Designit has been designing AKG/Harman's most recent offerings, including the K3003 and K550:

http://designit.com/cases/hearing-it-right

http://designit.com/cases/designing-the-worlds-most-advanced-earphones

 

It seems a bit odd because they seem to be doing more than just cosmetics. Could it be that AKG/Harman's passed on product development to a third party like these guys?

Going by the information especially regarding the K3003, it seems AKG/Harman didn't have the material/tooling tech to do it alone, and needed specialized equipment/tooling to do it properly.

That would help explain the final price.

post #14 of 1544

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/akg-k545/4505-7877_7-35827237.html

 

Seems like they have detachable cables, finally.

post #15 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post
 

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/akg-k545/4505-7877_7-35827237.html

 

Seems like they have detachable cables, finally.

 

Saw those posted on whathifi the other day. 
It'll be interesting to see how the soundstage (or anything else) changes on a smaller headphone (K545).

They've already ruined the looks, but perhaps the sound can get better.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG new headphone K545?