After a series of mod , which i have shared- the headphone has improved on
1. Reducing the harsh highs treble which on several tracks sounded shouty and sibilance . Now it has the micro details but much more controlled. Signature is still classified as "lively" - comparable to typical open air cans ( hd 600 / hd 650) .
2. improved depth and presentation - previously , the headphone out of box sounding thin on mids , lack of 3d depth and very much lacking in sub bass region and sub mid levels.
3. Sound stage - wide but not so airy . out of box was really way airy for me.
4. Low frequencies bottom - it has more rounded and solid bass bottom - but IT IS NOT the senn hd 650/600 type of classic senn bass. especially the sub bass and the depth of the bass is no where comparable to senn hd 650.
Pioneer SE A100 Comparison to other headphones
If you had several headphones beside from pioneer Se a1000, you will noticed that the pioneer se a1000 strengths is it's amazing detailed and bright clear highs and extremely airy soundstage and that gives you a perception of wide imaging. Most songs sounds airy with very laid back mids and the quantity of the mids is petty thin and subtle. The depth of the bass is pretty deep / subtle but lacking in the upper bass region. Its a U shape - extremely wide soundstage airy signature but with very light weight subtle bottom. that's how i conclude this headphone to be.
Okay folks, sharing on my last and possibly the final mod.
This mod is a major mod which really ! alters the Pioneer SE A1000 signature - however, this mod is easily reversible . So i really recommend you to try it out.
Mod 7 : Adding foams to air inlet to create tightening of mids and bring out sub bass region
Objective : To restrict air flow and air leak between the headphone shells (left and right)
Explanation of what this mods does to the sound signature:
this mod changes the following;
1. Reduces the highs frequencies by 20percent.
2. increases mid quantity and allow the mids to come forward by around 30 percent - vocals sounds warmer and tighter and less floaty.
3. increases the upper bass region by 40 percent. the oomph of the drums has arrived !!
4. Sound stage remains the same - extremely wide.. but the feel of airy is much reduced.
Again , if you like the original detail clear sharp high, subtle laid back mids .. subtle bass , airy feel , which - you don't need this mod at all.
If you think you like the above mod changes mentioned, here's the instructions of the mod 7.
1. Gently unscrew the 4 screws and pry open the shell
2. prepare 2 stripes or 1 long strip of sponge foam - ( identical to those used for car washing) - length of the strip will be to cover the circumference of the shell. thickness of the sponge foam to be around 1.5cm thick - width will be the shell spacing as long it donesnt cover the drivers.
why sponge foam ? Reason is to restrict air intake but yet still allowing drivers to breathe.
3. Lay & stick the stripe sponge foam along the circumference of the plastic shell . ** shown in photo - you can see i done halfway. you can completely lay the foam over the entire circumference of the shell **. you can use 1 long stripe for the entire circumference. For me i use 2 strips per shell (2 for left, 2 for right) . you can see the foam is laid over the plastic shell. IT must NOT cover the drivers.
4. Once you completed it - Assemble back the shell by screwing back the 4 screws - So the final product - the sponge foam is supposed to be sandwiched between the shells. this is to reduce the air intake and prevent sound leak from the sides.
See photo of the completed product - side view : Sponge is now sandwidched between shells (reduce air intake and sound leak from sides) Don't worry about the air intake - the open can design is still drawing huge amount of air from the back of the plastic headphone casing (where the 2 rods are).
If you managed to find black or grey sponge foam - of course it looks more beautiful than mine (yellow)
okay guys . give it a try if you like this new sound signature !
I'm really enjoying this sound signature. It's very balanced & lively bright background ( different from my audeze lcd2 which is darker background) . this sound reminds me of the ATh w1000x that i'm still using except mids on ath w1000x has more character and depth. I'm listening to ray charles - the pianos and cymbals are much more controlled - less harsh and overly sparky compared previously. No more shouty after i tested on several genres. Vocals part - are amazing with ticker depth- it's more forward but still in between the bass and treble where i like it to be.. the drums (bass drums and the toms) has much better texture now. Previously it was too laid back and overly airy and messy..
Note : if after the mod - if you find the mids too forward . what you may do is instead of filling up the shell circumference with sponge , reduce it to 70percent of the circumference- leave some gaps in between the sponge pieces.
have fun !
Edited by radi9red - 9/29/13 at 9:04am