Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?) - Page 56

post #826 of 906

I've 'heard' that the K550 is a bit bass-shy.  Moreso than a HD650.  If that's any indication, this headphone will have more.  The K545 is apparently a bassier version of the K550.

post #827 of 906
Soooo what I was wondering is if the k550 is more or less bass than the pioneeror or more so just how they compare soundwise in general?? I realize one is open and one is closed but still curious. I own the pioneers and I just sold my sony xb700s to amazon for 110 bucks which is ridiculus since I think I like 70 for them new. i cannot believe they are going for 300 new these days they sound like crap other than the bass. Obviously my taste in sound signature has changed a bit since I bought them haha. Anyways I can get the k550s for 130 used while the k545 is 249 on amazon which is why im not just going for the k545.
post #828 of 906

I get the impression of no, you would not like the bass on them.  

post #829 of 906

I have not heard k550 but I just listened to another akg model, akg k242hd which is more suitable for comparison also being open by design. Pioneers and akg sounded surprisingly similar. It is worth noting that k242hd is more directed to the average consumer so it is not a monitor headphone, neither it is cold sounding like k701 or bass light like k501. Anyway... I thought both headphones were pretty equal in everything but pioneers had more clarity without being any brighter than akgs. Pioneers also are clearly more detailed than akg's. For those two reasons I think Pioneers are better headphones. These headphones are really a bargain in the us but these are definately not a bad buy in europe either. Here these are priced around 100usd but I think these definately are something worth considering even in that price range.

post #830 of 906
Thread Starter 

Hey guys! Im back from the dead!!!!!!!!!

post #831 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu View Post
 

Hey guys! Im back from the dead!!!!!!!!!


Welcome back! So you still loving them? Do any mods?

post #832 of 906
Thread Starter 

 

yeah still rocking them as a main phone! I havent modded them at all but have hooked them up to multiple amps. I personally like how they sound with the O2 DAC/amp. Brings a bugger soundstage, and a more filled in sounding bass!

post #833 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu View Post
 

 

yeah still rocking them as a main phone! I havent modded them at all but have hooked them up to multiple amps. I personally like how they sound with the O2 DAC/amp. Brings a bugger soundstage, and a more filled in sounding bass!

 

Good to hear as I was mulling over an O2/ODAC combo to replace the portable Fiio set-up I have been using for portable.

post #834 of 906


While ago I promised to write a comparison between takstar hi2050 and pioneers. Things got bit out of hand and it turned out to be a full review so I posted it in here http://www.head-fi.org/products/pioneer-se-a1000-lightweight-audiophile-av-over-ear-headphones/reviews/10520

 

People who don't have the patience to go through my jabbering, my conclusions were these. Pioneers have pleasant smooth sound with non fatiquing highs and impressive sub bass extension. Not suitable for bassheads but not lacking in that department either

 

Mids are excellent and pioneers sound just sublime with live recordings. Soundstage lacks debth and imaging is not good enough for my tastes. Subtle highs and non bloated bass leave a lot of room for detail so detail retrival is excellent.  

 

Choosing between pioneers or takstars is in the end about preference. Smooth pioneers or bright takstars. If you don't have a specific preference make the choise based on the gear you will be using. On contrary to many people's opinion I don't think Pioneers are that revealing of bad source. If used with bad source and unamped I prefer se-a1000 over hi2050. With better gear takstars are better. Takstars have pioneers beat on every area, except for detail. Especially soundstage, imaging and bass control with complex stuff is a lot better with hi2050. Both headphones are good for every genre but master of none... so making a decision based on favorite music is propably not going to work out.

post #835 of 906
Got a question about the Pioneer Se-A1000 isolation? Is it fairly open in that it lets a good bit of sound in? My poor teenage son has to use his headphones with only one cup on his ears when gaming, etc., because his mom wants him to be able to hear her. So I'm thinking these might be a good choice so he can have stereo/surround when gaming.

Also, anyone know if they are less isolating than the Takstar HI2050. Seems like those are more like DT880s--not as non-isolating as I would like.
post #836 of 906

To my ears pioneers let more sound in than takstars but I'd keep looking if I were you. Pioneers do have some level of isolation, propably too much. Baffle is allmost entirely plastic and the two holes covered with paper are behind cloth... so all incoming sounds come mostly through the driver. Something similar to audio technica ath-ad500x might be best. Ad500x baffle appears to be mostly just paper...That should let everything in.

post #837 of 906
Good point. The thing is that the Se-A1000 are only $55 on Amazon at the moment, and I really don't want to spend $90 on the AD500x.

I really wish the AD700s were around for that cheap price they were at about a year or so ago frown.gif

So if the isolation so much that if someone tried to talk with you in the room--assuming you didn't have them blasting--you'd be able to hear that person?
post #838 of 906

If those are not played at all you can hear just fine. Not sure how it would work with music playing on low volume. I have no means to test it right now. I wouldn't enjoy using them with such low volume though. But I'm the worst person to comment on this actually. I play my headphones louder than anyone I know so I have no idea what is good low listening volume for most people...

post #839 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beocord View Post

If those are not played at all you can hear just fine. Not sure how it would work with music playing on low volume. I have no means to test it right now. I wouldn't enjoy using them with such low volume though. But I'm the worst person to comment on this actually. I play my headphones louder than anyone I know so I have no idea what is good low listening volume for most people...
I

My girlfriend yells to me all the time when im gaming and I can hear her quite clearly although I often pretend I dont hear her haha. I would recommend buying them even if he had to play with the pioneers only on one ear since they sound so good. Worst case you get to keep them ha. In an unrelated note I picked up the akg k550 for 120 bucks and I must say so far the pioneers sound better. The akg are clearer and instruments sound closer and more precise but the soundstage on the pioneers blow them away. And the akg's are supposed to be some of the best headphones around haha. To me they sound like nails on a chalkboard. i guess thats what i get for believeing closed cans could possibly have a sound stage close to the pioneers. Hopefully some srious burn in helps or these are going back
post #840 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBlades44 View Post

I

My girlfriend yells to me all the time when im gaming and I can hear her quite clearly although I often pretend I dont hear her haha. I would recommend buying them even if he had to play with the pioneers only on one ear since they sound so good. Worst case you get to keep them ha. In an unrelated note I picked up the akg k550 for 120 bucks and I must say so far the pioneers sound better. The akg are clearer and instruments sound closer and more precise but the soundstage on the pioneers blow them away. And the akg's are supposed to be some of the best headphones around haha. To me they sound like nails on a chalkboard. i guess thats what i get for believeing closed cans could possibly have a sound stage close to the pioneers. Hopefully some srious burn in helps or these are going back

The better choice would have been the AKG q701 if you wanted the better open sound stage. On Amazon for the same $120-130 price range lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)