Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?) - Page 46

post #676 of 896

Waiting for these to go back on sale for 40 or 36.

post #677 of 896
Thread Starter 

I tried the foam removal, thickening of the pads, and the 15 degree and tilt. And such a difference it has been!!!!!! The highs are alot more clear and not so harsh, there is more depth in the music, tighter bass, and clearer sound throughout. I tihnks its more than a 20% increase in quality! +1 to you man!!! But one question. Where the blue tack applied exactly? Can yuo explain it more to me? Thaks <3

post #678 of 896

So I know I reviewed these and I think I was a little to nice...

 

The pioneers are worth what I paid, no less... They were not groundbreaking or amazing... just good. When I compared them to the AD900x I was unfair and probably was too nice (this is an appreciation thread after all) Bottom line is that they don't compare to them... or the Q/K7xx, SR325is, HD6xx, or the DT880 or even the HD598. They are boring, somewhat diffuse and off sounding (mostly on piano) While I did appreciate them, and they are better/as good as lot of cans, just not any mid or high end ones.

 

/rant

 

I feel better now. I almost felt like my review could have misled someone...

post #679 of 896

kvtaco,

 

I am curious if your opinion would change with the mods mentioned in this thread.  I was rather disappointed until I started modding them, after which they are a whole new animal.

 

IBJamon

post #680 of 896

I'm open to trying again for the right price... I'm not drinking the kool-aid so I refuse to pay more then $40 for these things... and it would have to be through Amazon so I can send them back.

post #681 of 896

Oh man, sentiments change quickly around here. FOTM guys are like the crazy chicks I used to date....

post #682 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirazir View Post
 

Oh man, sentiments change quickly around here. FOTM guys are like the crazy chicks I used to date....

*

post #683 of 896

:biggrin::tongue_smile:

post #684 of 896

I am still on the FOTM vibe - although somewhatbass light  certainly better than My AT M50's for imaging/soundstage and I really like the mids on these cans. Had I bought them at the $200 list when they coame out I would have been happy. I don't expect them to sound better than  my DT990's which arrived today though once broken in.

post #685 of 896

I still don't understand why Pioneer put that highs dampening felt there... they sound so much better without it it's not even funny.

 

IBJamon

post #686 of 896

Radi9red:  I am with pichu on this one:  I don't see where to apply the blu-tac.  I bought some to plan for this mod, took apart my headphone... and I really don't see where to apply it.  Could you please take a picture?

 

Thank you!

 

IBJamon

post #687 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

So I know I reviewed these and I think I was a little to nice...

 

The pioneers are worth what I paid, no less... They were not groundbreaking or amazing... just good. When I compared them to the AD900x I was unfair and probably was too nice (this is an appreciation thread after all) Bottom line is that they don't compare to them... or the Q/K7xx, SR325is, HD6xx, or the DT880 or even the HD598. They are boring, somewhat diffuse and off sounding (mostly on piano) While I did appreciate them, and they are better/as good as lot of cans, just not any mid or high end ones.

 

/rant

 

I feel better now. I almost felt like my review could have misled someone...

 

these are significantly better than 325. :|

post #688 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post
 

 

these are significantly better than 325. :|

 

lel.  Tyll used them as an example for a quote on quote "bad" sounding headphone. But then again that is just *one* graph and I can't find any more data on them. I'll assume they're pretty darn good for $50...but can they oust my super duper entry level etys?http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticEK5.pdf

hehe I don't think so :atsmile:

Oh wow I can't believe I just used an emoticon. What is this 2007? lol I must be tired

post #689 of 896
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

So I know I reviewed these and I think I was a little to nice...

 

The pioneers are worth what I paid, no less... They were not groundbreaking or amazing... just good. When I compared them to the AD900x I was unfair and probably was too nice (this is an appreciation thread after all) Bottom line is that they don't compare to them... or the Q/K7xx, SR325is, HD6xx, or the DT880 or even the HD598. They are boring, somewhat diffuse and off sounding (mostly on piano) While I did appreciate them, and they are better/as good as lot of cans, just not any mid or high end ones.

 

/rant

I feel better now. I almost felt like my review could have misled someone...

 

Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post
 

these are significantly better than 325. :|

 

Originally Posted by wafflezz View Post
 

lel.  Tyll used them as an example for a quote on quote "bad" sounding headphone. But then again that is just *one* graph and I can't find any more data on them. I'll assume they're pretty darn good for $50...but can they oust my super duper entry level etys?http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticEK5.pdf

hehe I don't think so :atsmile:

Oh wow I can't believe I just used an emoticon. What is this 2007? lol I must be tired

 

Yep...for $40 to $50 they're a good set of starter 'mid-fi' headphones or nice addition to a collection.  HonestIy, the price/performance is one of its biggest strengths.  I don't have to worry about leaving them out when I run an errand, etc.

 

That said, I really do like listening to some jazz trio/quartets (especially club/live recordings), simple classical (chamber concertos), and easy going pop (JT, etc.).  They seem to add some 'air' to these...which could be the same as being 'diffuse' now that I think about it! 

 

However, its really a stretch to put them in the HD6XX, DTXXX, Q/K701 category in my opinion.  One of these cans will be my major Holiday purchase and I can assure you they'll get more air time than the Pioneers...my 990's and 558's already do.

post #690 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBJamon View Post
 

radi9red:

 

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!  I thought that these cans sounded way more bass heavy than I wanted them to... I like to hear 'sizzle' and 'air' when I listen to music, and I was concerned upon getting these that they were another bass oriented set... (yes, I consider them bass heavy, since I have a large head).  I had to mod the monoprice 8323 cans to make them even slightly reasonable to listen to, and now, tearing off that padding... made a huge difference!  Bravo!  I haven't tried the other mods yet, but I knew I had to do something to kill the 'dark' sound.

 

Thanks again,

 

IBJamon

 

Hi IBjamon > you're welcome.   the "double" padding adds to the veil and that results in poor mids and muddy bass.  tearing 1 layer off definitely helps. . and i'm not sure why pioneer did it that way.  Could be something that they overlooked when getting the chinese in china to manufacture them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)