Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?) - Page 44

post #646 of 896
Thread Starter 

Wow, been awhile since Ive came up ontot he headfi forums. Nice to see that people are still talking and discussing these phones. :)

post #647 of 896

Tiger Direct Pioneer SE-A1000 - $39.97

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2404716&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CL7Vr-G4l7kCFWpk7AodFgMAnA

 

Cheers,

kev

post #648 of 896

Cheap at half the price?

post #649 of 896

SE-A1000 is my live music go to cans no matter if its my tube headphone amps or one of my vintage receivers or amps it excels.  Just for live music i think there worth so very much more than the $40 i paid.

 

edit:  I'm listening to 30 seconds to Mars - This is War on my sansui Au-517 and i think they sound WAY above there price point.  They sound almost as good as my he-500s with this album.  NOT all albums of course but some.  Using tone control on the sui makes it even better but they sound great even with tone control defeated.


Edited by bce22 - 8/31/13 at 4:58pm
post #650 of 896

RIP Zardak. The awesome troll who practically started this thread

post #651 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflezz View Post
 

RIP Zardak. The awesome troll who practically started this thread

^ Sigh, i have to post back outta' respect for my fellow troll brethren. ****SALUTES****

 

Man are there tons of snitches in this neck of the woods, that thread was harmless as it could be. Was a really fun and informative one even, some people just had to ruin it. Zardak was generally well behaved esp. in that thread. SO LAME!!!

 

.. you have done well meng, even though we never really cross paths. T_T

post #652 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu View Post

Wow, been awhile since Ive came up ontot he headfi forums. Nice to see that people are still talking and discussing these phones. smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed. I never knew there was such a long thread on this.

I use this for watching movies rather than listening to music so I've got to re-evaluate that. A major reason is that they are so light on one's head except the pads could be deeper. Has anyone tried different ear pads on them?
post #653 of 896

holy crap this thread has grown since I last saw it, anyways, does this can implore a feeling of ''liveness'' like the akg k240 sextett, because i'm gonna be recabling my sextetts, as well as doing a clean out over the course of the next few weeks (school can be quite the b!tch on time) and I'm wondering if these cans can atleast keep up with them in terms of detailing and such? Thanks guys and have a nice day

post #654 of 896
Thread Starter 

if by liveness you mean natural, open sounding then yes. Acosutic/ mids are very open, airy like grados. And very good soundstage. If you like the   AKG soundstage you wotn ahve a problem with the Pioneers soundstage. So yes, id say they are just alive or even greater than the AKGs live signature.

post #655 of 896
Thanks man I'll be getting a pair soon
post #656 of 896

I've read most of the posts in this thread, but i didn't find a comparison with the Senn HD 518 or 558, and i'm so curious, cause i'm on the verge of buying a headphone, and i'm really not sure if to go for a 60$ pair or dig 55$ deeper in my pocket for the 518, or even more, 90$ deeper for the 558 (i say 55$ and 90$, because i wouldn't consider buying the senn's without a 10$ mediabridge 3.5mm cable, cause i'm not very fond of having to use the adapter on the regular cable - had some issues with the jack on some headphones in the past that broke and now i'm stuck with "jack fail" fobia). How would these headphones compare in your opinion, regarding the need of more/less amplification (budget doesn't allow more than a Fiio A07K), bass, mids, highs, vocal performance, strings, soundstage. And also how would a felt modded 558 fit in the mix of it all. Would really appreciate some insight form someone that listened to both the 558 (modded or not) and the A1000.

About me: not a basshead, love vocals, classic music, pink floyd and queen kind of rock, acoustic music, and generally many kinds of music. From what i heard so far, I didn't like the CAL! cause i found music to sound really clear but rather unnatural (as in killing the reverb in vocals and some classical instruments (because of this i kinda only looked for open or semi-open headphones), didn't like the Samson 850 (aka Superlux HD 668B) cause even if it sounded really good with classical instruments, and had really good soundstage, and a nice punchy bass, it seemed to shrill some female voices too much, and even some high pitch male vocals, and also the highs were to rough to enjoy for a longer period of time at higher than average volume, and the Somic 463 had an overly bloated bass response, that sometimes covered the mids, which seemed a bit pushed back anyway, and rather decent sounding highs. (except the fact that some sounds disappeared in the mix because of the bass)

 

Thanks!


Edited by Saethyan - 9/12/13 at 2:30pm
post #657 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saethyan View Post
 

I've read most of the posts in this thread, but i didn't find a comparison with the Senn HD 518 or 558, and i'm so curious, cause i'm on the verge of buying a headphone, and i'm really not sure if to go for a 60$ pair or dig 55$ deeper in my pocket for the 518, or even more, 90$ deeper for the 558 (i say 55$ and 90$, because i wouldn't consider buying the senn's without a 10$ mediabridge 3.5mm cable, cause i'm not very fond of having to use the adapter on the regular cable - had some issues with the jack on some headphones in the past that broke and now i'm stuck with "jack fail" fobia). How would these headphones compare in your opinion, regarding the need of more/less amplification (budget doesn't allow more than a Fiio A07K), bass, mids, highs, vocal performance, strings, soundstage. And also how would a felt modded 558 fit in the mix of it all. Would really appreciate some insight form someone that listened to both the 558 (modded or not) and the A1000.

About me: not a basshead, love vocals, classic music, pink floyd and queen kind of rock, acoustic music, and generally many kinds of music. From what i heard so far, I didn't like the CAL! cause i found music to sound really clear but rather unnatural (as in killing the reverb in vocals and some classical instruments (because of this i kinda only looked for open or semi-open headphones), didn't like the Samson 850 (aka Superlux HD 668B) cause even if it sounded really good with classical instruments, and had really good soundstage, and a nice punchy bass, it seemed to shrill some female voices too much, and even some high pitch male vocals, and also the highs were to rough to enjoy for a longer period of time at higher than average volume, and the Somic 463 had an overly bloated bass response, that sometimes covered the mids, which seemed a bit pushed back anyway, and rather decent sounding highs. (except the fact that some sounds disappeared in the mix because of the bass)

 

Thanks!

 

I prefer the 558.  For me, they have better bass, a more uniform/even signature and I find myself listening to them for much longer sessions that the A1000s.  That said, I like the Pioneer's soundstage more and I paid $80 more for the Senns.

 

Bottom line though, if someone told me I could only keep one, it would be the 558s.

post #658 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMe View Post
 

 

I prefer the 558.  For me, they have better bass, a more uniform/even signature and I find myself listening to them for much longer sessions that the A1000s.  That said, I like the Pioneer's soundstage more and I paid $80 more for the Senns.

 

Bottom line though, if someone told me I could only keep one, it would be the 558s.

 

Having heard a friend's 598s recently, I'd agree with this although at less than half the price, the Pioneers are a damn good value and a great first step into "Hi-Fi".

post #659 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirazir View Post
 

 

Having heard a friend's 598s recently, I'd agree with this although at less than half the price, the Pioneers are a damn good value and a great first step into "Hi-Fi".

 

Very true...if it were me, I'd buy the A1000s first, listen for a while, and then determine next steps.

post #660 of 896

Regarding a post in this quite long thread that stated that the Pioneer SE-A1000 sounds like an open Pionner SE-M390 i surely hope it's far fetched, cause by no means the M390 is an exceptional headphone, being super bass heavy, but only in quantity, low quality bass, recessed mids, mudded out by the bloated bass, emphasized highs, with a hint of sibilance, if it ever gets good reviews, it's probably from bassheads, and only in its price bracket (33$) which is still half of what the A1000 costs.

Even is my headphone of choice atm (Philips SHP5401) is very shy on bass is overall a much better pair than the M390, even though i only payed about 25$ for it. What i am still lacking on my Philips is a little bass impact, not much, but this has almost none, alot less than the Samson SR850, and ALOT less than CAL! or Somic 463. I still like its' overall sound the most, despite lacking the clarity of the CAL! and Samson. What i want now is a headphone with a little bit more bass impact than mine, that has almost none, better clarity, and also "lively", enjoyable, airy, sound vith vocals and cellos, violins, piano tracks, but also guitar (classic/electronic) (I don't listen to rap much, R&B, hip hop, little bit of pop, house). I'm really close to buying this headphone, and just don't know if to just buy it or just get the Sennheiser HD558 instead. (is it worth the 90$ extra and if yes, why?).

Thanks again!


Edited by Saethyan - 9/14/13 at 1:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)