Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?) - Page 41

post #601 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Beats are not longer made by Monster and if you listen to the Monster Inspire headphones (in passive mode) you'd realize you are mistaken to dismiss the company so readily. I know I did, but after listening to the Inspire the company has my grudging respect. Beats are what they are, a running joke. I would 100% expect flat response to be an engineering goal and a marketing theme for most high-end gear.

 

Would second the Monster comment.  Plus -- if your patient, you can get some very good deals on their IEMs. 

 

My blue iSports were $29.99 from TigerDirect and I really like them for working out...excellent sound signature for working out, stay put very well, and sweat resistant.

post #602 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

 

 

 

in name only lol

 

 

Hmmm...they do look 'bassy'.

 

Not that there's anything wrong with that!   ;-)

post #603 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

 

completely disagree. Grados don't have the mids necessary, or the soundstage and imaging necessary for anything I listen to. Listening to music like Secret Sphere, Galneryus, Vision Divine, Rhapsody of Fire, etc, or Animals as Leaders, Within the Ruins, Haunted Shores, After the Burial, or Beneath the Massacre, Origin, Odium, Anaal Nakrath, etc. Grados lack the speed and instrument separation necessary for the extremely busy and fast-paced music I listen to. They also lack the powerful crunch necessary for djent, and death metal. Listening to techdeath, and grindcore on Grados is an exercise in futility. Even higher-end Grados like 325i lack everything necessary to really reproduce technical metal.

 

And oh god, math metal sounds godawful on Grados.

 

I do adore how hardcore sounds on 'em though. Hardcore Punk, Sludge, and Crust Punk sound awesome on Grados.

 

A bit late here, but after a few weeks with the Asgard 2 and Grado SR325i, I came to the same conclusion.  I listen to After the Burial quite a bit, and I came to the same conclusion you did with that band.  If the 325i had a bit better detail and soundstage, it would have done fine, but it tended to just 'mush' things up with those genres/bands.

post #604 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Beats are not longer made by Monster and if you listen to the Monster Inspire headphones (in passive mode) you'd realize you are mistaken to dismiss the company so readily. I know I did, but after listening to the Inspire the company has my grudging respect. Beats are what they are, a running joke. I would 100% expect flat response to be an engineering goal and a marketing theme for most high-end gear.

Honestly I don't care or couldn't careless about Beat's or Monster, both craptastic in my books. And I never said Monster/Beat's aimed for a neutral response, I think it's common sense from reviews/reputation and the reception of there products for one to know what there targetted audience is. A large percentage of companies out there that are in the high-end audio market aim for a flat response, how they achieve this objectively with subjective cognitive bias is whole different matter, I always stick by my reference motto with audio, use FR measurements/graphs and objective data to point me in the right direction, use my ear's subjectively to decide if it is good or not.

post #605 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Honestly I don't care or couldn't careless about Beat's or Monster, both craptastic in my books. And I never said Monster/Beat's aimed for a neutral response, I think it's common sense from reviews/reputation and the reception of there products for one to know what there targetted audience is. A large percentage of companies out there that are in the high-end audio market aim for a flat response, how they achieve this objectively with subjective cognitive bias is whole different matter, I always stick by my reference motto with audio, use FR measurements/graphs and objective data to point me in the right direction, use my ear's subjectively to decide if it is good or not.

Then your "books" are still based on assumptions, despite your claim that you "measure, listen, then decide." Just sayin'

post #606 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Then your "books" are still based on assumptions, despite your claim that you "measure, listen, then decide." Just sayin'

I don't understand what are you saying, what are you rebutting against? You're making no sense to me as you're pulling things out of thin air. I was originally talking about how companies in the high end sector strive to achieving flat frequency response then you start talking about some of a Beat's headphone or whatever being in passive mode. confused_face(1).gif

post #607 of 906

though shure srh840 measures as a bass-heavy can, they aren't at all. Or at least my pair isn't. it has more oomph than akg k550, for example which is practically anemic, but they aren't anything near what I would consider bassy.

post #608 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

though shure srh840 measures as a bass-heavy can, they aren't at all. Or at least my pair isn't. it has more oomph than akg k550, for example which is practically anemic, but they aren't anything near what I would consider bassy.


I found the k550 to have fairly balanced and tight bass, whereas the shr840 felt warm... maybe even a touch woolly. Maybe you're a closet bass lover? lol

post #609 of 906
Not really. Bass heavy cans sound godawful with my music.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
post #610 of 906

I was obviously kidding! And I know how bad a overly bassy can is with metal (I'm a thrash, prog, speed, symphonic, doom, death, math, folk metal kinda person)

post #611 of 906

Also under the Sharp brand in Japan. Model VR-HSA100

 


Edited by nick n - 8/11/13 at 11:09pm
post #612 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

I was obviously kidding! And I know how bad a overly bassy can is with metal (I'm a thrash, prog, speed, symphonic, doom, death, math, folk metal kinda person)

 

i wouldn't call your post obvious. it's the internet.

post #613 of 906

I imagine this must mean there's an OEM that actually did the designing, or else one company licensed the design to the other.

post #614 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

Also under the Sharp brand in Japan. Model VR-HSA100

 

 

Wow, learn something new everyday!  Thanks for the good find nick!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

I imagine this must mean there's an OEM that actually did the designing, or else one company licensed the design to the other.

 

Hmm, good question.  I know that several of Pioneer's models have been sourced from Foster as of late.  Could this possibly be one of them?

post #615 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

 

i wouldn't call your post obvious. it's the internet.


lol at then end of a statement literally means lol... lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)