Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison - Page 6

post #76 of 362
Considering the X1's alleged treble "peak" (I don't see it anywhere) is consistent with the response curve required due to the nature of the human ear, the mids are pretty much neither forward nor recessed.
Edited by 3X0 - 7/6/13 at 3:17am
post #77 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwerk View Post

no sir, talking in regarding to the reviewer's review opinions. Please refer to the review itself as you seem to have skipped reading in depth the topic at hand--this review

 

Good to know. Just happened that the only posts above your response were yours.

post #78 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

Considering the X1's alleged treble "peak" (I don't see it anywhere) is consistent with the response curve required due to the nature of the human ear, the mids are pretty much neither forward nor recessed.

Again, with this 'required' treble bump. Please. Again, the LCD3 has NO such thing. So much for a high end headphone, if it has no such treble bump that is 'required'. It's so far below the mids, it'd need some serious lift at 10khz to come close to the bass and mids.

How about actually listening to headphones instead of just looking at graphs? The X1 has an obvious emphasis SOMEWHERE in the treble.

Since you prefer to look at graphs instead of listening to the cans:



From Innerfidelity

As if that obvious tip at near 10khz wasn't obvious enough (a very quick 10db difference, not a gradual one). I don't even need to see that graph to HEAR that the X1 CAN be fatiguing at times, with a screech in the treble at times. Again, the X1 is a pretty smooth headphone, but there is SOME treble inconsistency. Some of my TV shows are borderline painful to watch with the X1. That's not to say they aren't painful with other headphones, but the X1 isn't as smooth as some might lead others to believe. I've been used to REALLY prominent treble headphones like the Pro 900, 990 and HE-400, and yet the X1 still manages to bother my ears in the treble.

You're just beginning to sound like a fanboy to me, trying to defend everything about the X1. We get it, it's perfect. The end.

I'll be a little more realistic in saying that it ISN'T perfect, and is about as good as typical mid-fi cans, in a different flavor. Not a bad thing, as it's flavor is my fave of ANY headphone, but it's still flawed and can be improved upon.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/6/13 at 7:29am
post #79 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Again, with this 'required' treble bump. Please. Again, the LCD3 has NO such thing. So much for a high end headphone, if it has no such treble bump that is 'required'. It's so far below the mids, it'd need some serious lift at 10khz to come close to the bass and mids.

How about actually listening to headphones instead of just looking at graphs? The X1 has an obvious emphasis SOMEWHERE in the treble.

Since you prefer to look at graphs instead of listening to the cans:



From Innerfidelity

As if that obvious tip at near 10khz wasn't obvious enough (a 10db difference). I don't even need to see that graph to HEAR that the X1 CAN be fatiguing at times, with a screech in the treble at times. Again, the X1 is a pretty smooth headphone, but there is SOME treble inconsistency. Some of my TV shows are borderline painful to watch with the X1. That's not to say they aren't painful with other headphones, but the X1 isn't as smooth as some might lead others to believe.

You're just beginning to sound like a fanboy to me, trying to defend everything about the X1. We get it, it's perfect. The end.
You need it because of the way your ears are designed. The Aud'eze headphones are FAR from ideal.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-square-wave-response-page-2

The X1 is actually pretty close to the ideal response with some enhanced bass. It is closer to the ideal response than it is to the "edgy treble with punchy warm sound" curve since the 10KHz peak isn't really as big as it is with other headphones.

I don't get where you're hearing any hint of stridency, but I imagine your ears are less sensitive to bass and more sensitive to the 8-10KHz region than mine are.
post #80 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post


You need it because of the way your ears are designed. The Aud'eze headphones are FAR from ideal.
 

 

Not sure

post #81 of 362
We need it because he says so. Though the many people that consider the LCD3 one of the very best headphones are simply wrong for likiing it, is what it sounds like to me.

Ok. gotcha... *SMH*
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/6/13 at 7:46am
post #82 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

We need it because he says so. Though the many people that consider the LCD3 one of the very best headphones are simply wrong for likiing it, is what it sounds like to me.

Ok. gotcha... *SMH*
You sound like the type of person with interest in only the what and no interest in the why or how. The InnerFidelity article linked as well as online resources on ear response and diffuse field equalization (and other compensation curves) provide ample reasoning on how and why there needs to be some type of emphasis between 8-10KHz (depending on which resource you use and what compensation curve you're looking at). If you're not interested at all in reading, you can't really claim evidence doesn't exist because it's a well-understood principle of headphone design.

The Aud'eze headphones sound great and are close to ideal in a few respects in classic orthodynamic fashion. Frequency response is still not ideal.
Edited by 3X0 - 7/6/13 at 7:59am
post #83 of 362

But everyones ear shapes and sizes are different, I am not convinced that it is better to have one.

post #84 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

But everyones ear shapes and sizes are different, I am not convinced that it is better to have one.
Empirically, the diffuse field curves vary only slightly among individuals. The most circulated and popular curve was constructed in 2008 from a sample size of 47 individuals. In all cases the slight peak at 10KHz was a requirement.

In any case, the X1 isn't far from ideal. At least not as much as other top headphones around this price range.
post #85 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

As if that obvious tip at near 10khz wasn't obvious enough (a very quick 10db difference, not a gradual one). I don't even need to see that graph to HEAR that the X1 CAN be fatiguing at times, with a screech in the treble at times. Again, the X1 is a pretty smooth headphone, but there is SOME treble inconsistency. Some of my TV shows are borderline painful to watch with the X1. That's not to say they aren't painful with other headphones, but the X1 isn't as smooth as some might lead others to believe. I've been used to REALLY prominent treble headphones like the Pro 900, 990 and HE-400, and yet the X1 still manages to bother my ears in the treble.

You're just beginning to sound like a fanboy to me, trying to defend everything about the X1. We get it, it's perfect. The end.

I'll be a little more realistic in saying that it ISN'T perfect, and is about as good as typical mid-fi cans, in a different flavor. Not a bad thing, as it's flavor is my fave of ANY headphone, but it's still flawed and can be improved upon.

 

Remember I'm holding you to keep the X1 until June of next year.  bigsmile_face.gif

post #86 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Remember I'm holding you to keep the X1 until June of next year.  bigsmile_face.gif

As lonf as the velours don't disintegrate, these will stay with me. I know that's hard to believe, but the X1 is the headphone that shouldve been released years ago.
post #87 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


As lonf as the velours don't disintegrate, these will stay with me. I know that's hard to believe, but the X1 is the headphone that shouldve been released years ago.

I am recommending these to others and calling them the special approach with bass and treble sandwiching the mid as a whole package that makes music come out stronger and fuller than mid centric phones. 

They laugh at my opinion-.-

post #88 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

As lonf as the velours don't disintegrate, these will stay with me. I know that's hard to believe, but the X1 is THE headphone.
FTFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwerk View Post

I am recommending these to others and calling them the RIGHT approach with bass and treble sandwiching the mid as a whole package that makes music come out stronger and fuller than mid centric phones.
FTFY
post #89 of 362
anyone here have the x1 and mdr ma900? Comparisons please!
post #90 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

anyone here have the x1 and mdr ma900? Comparisons please!

 

I have the two and will compare them when I get a chance.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison