Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison - Page 12

post #166 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniteXtreme View Post
 

 

Hi zazex, based on your opinion, can you briefly compare between K712 and X1? What do you like most about the X1 if compared to K712? Thanks!


I like the bass of the X1's; I like their musical warmth

as contrasted with the still somewhat clinical nature of

the K712's.  I like their slightly larger soundstage - not

as large as the K702's or Q701's, but larger than the

K712's.

 

The K712's have more clarity, more pinpoint accuracy,

and possibly more treble extension (though this does

not translate into "sparkle" for some reason).

 

I like also that the X1's can be driven pretty nicely

with a decent portable amp.

 

Also, it will be a little more time before I can tighten up

this comparison further.  They're both very good headphones

and I need to do a lot more listening to them.

post #167 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 


I like the bass of the X1's; I like their musical warmth

as contrasted with the still somewhat clinical nature of

the K712's.  I like their slightly larger soundstage - not

as large as the K702's or Q701's, but larger than the

K712's.

 

The K712's have more clarity, more pinpoint accuracy,

and possibly more treble extension (though this does

not translate into "sparkle" for some reason).

 

I like also that the X1's can be driven pretty nicely

with a decent portable amp.

 

Also, it will be a little more time before I can tighten up

this comparison further.  They're both very good headphones

and I need to do a lot more listening to them.

 

Thanks for the comparison! I never listen to the K712 before, but I tried listen to X1 before at a headphone shop. I also like the warm sound of the X1! :-) Somehow I feel that the X1 headband elasticity is a bit tight for me, maybe the headband elasticity will be loosen a bit after some use. Zazex, how to you feel the headband of the K712? If compared to X1, will the headband elastic very tight?

post #168 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniteXtreme View Post
 

 

Thanks for the comparison! I never listen to the K712 before, but I tried listen to X1 before at a headphone shop. I also like the warm sound of the X1! :-) Somehow I feel that the X1 headband elasticity is a bit tight for me, maybe the headband elasticity will be loosen a bit after some use. Zazex, how to you feel the headband of the K712? If compared to X1, will the headband elastic very tight?

 

I think they're both very comfortable, but agree that the K712 is a little roomier

with less clamping force.  I would think that the X1 headband will loosen up

over time, but that's speculation at this point.  If it's too tight for you, I'd

recommend against buying it as it may never loosen up sufficiently.

post #169 of 319
Watch Tyll's video at innerfidelity, where he describes how to loosen it up.
post #170 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 

 

I think they're both very comfortable, but agree that the K712 is a little roomier

with less clamping force.  I would think that the X1 headband will loosen up

over time, but that's speculation at this point.  If it's too tight for you, I'd

recommend against buying it as it may never loosen up sufficiently.

 

Thanks for your reply! 

 

I am a total beginner in headphones, I am not very sure with audiophile terms.

 

I have heard that some people mentioned that the X1 sound is a bit distant away, which seems to be less intimate. Can anyone here explain to me, does "less intimate sound" is similar to "recessed sound" ?

post #171 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

Watch Tyll's video at innerfidelity, where he describes how to loosen it up.

 

Thanks for the suggestion! But my problem is not with the headroom space caused by the arch of the headphone, instead it is the headband elastic (or the so called hammock design mentioned in Philips website) which i feel is a bit tight for me.

post #172 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniteXtreme View Post
 

 

Thanks for the suggestion! But my problem is not with the headroom space caused by the arch of the headphone, instead it is the headband elastic (or the so called hammock design mentioned in Philips website) which i feel is a bit tight for me.


I think that's what waynes world was referring to in his post above.

Anyway, it's worth a look if you're considering buying the headphones...

post #173 of 319

Great review! I've ordered a pair of the X1's and they are on their way!

Just out of curiosity, how would this pair with the Fiio E10?

post #174 of 319
Thread Starter 
The E10 isn't going to extract any headphones full potential, but it's a nice little device for how cheap and small it is.
post #175 of 319

What would be a good budget level dac/amp to pair with the X1's then?

post #176 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie5610 View Post
 

What would be a good budget level dac/amp to pair with the X1's then?

 

Magni/Modi

 

O2/ODAC

 

Fiio E17

post #177 of 319
Thread Starter 
Yeah ^
post #178 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie5610 View Post
 

What would be a good budget level dac/amp to pair with the X1's then?

 

Audinst HUD-MX2 is also a good budget dac/amp. Although I never pair them with X1 before, but i think it is worth considering due to its budget price.

post #179 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie5610 View Post
 

Great review! I've ordered a pair of the X1's and they are on their way!

Just out of curiosity, how would this pair with the Fiio E10?

i think the x1's are quite efficient, i think even an iphone can drive it

post #180 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirazir View Post
 

 

Magni/Modi

 

O2/ODAC

 

Fiio E17

I've thought about the Magni/Modi combo, but I don't think I could use my speakers and headphones at the same time like I do with my Fiio e10. Same thing with the O2/ODAC. My friend has a e17, so I will get my hands on those for pairing on my x1 arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerathion View Post
 

i think the x1's are quite efficient, i think even an iphone can drive it

 

I want to be able to at least extract more of its potential out of an amp if I'm going to be spending money on the headphones, but it's also nice to know that it could be used with minimal equipment. (:
Would an iPod touch be able to drive it as well as an iPhone though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniteXtreme View Post
 

 

Audinst HUD-MX2 is also a good budget dac/amp. Although I never pair them with X1 before, but i think it is worth considering due to its budget price.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try pairing them if i can get my hands on the HUD-MX2 :p

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison