Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Want Grado's, 225, 325, RS2 or MS2?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Want Grado's, 225, 325, RS2 or MS2?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

So I have wanted some grado's for a while, when I originally asked I was wondering between the lower prestige series and was told I should probably go for the 225i's minimum due to me already being use to higher end stuff (SRH-840's and D5000's) so I listened to some at a local place and didn't really decide on anything.

 

I was trying to decide between the 225 and 325's but I don't really like the 325's yeah there more detailed and I don't really find them harsh but they sound metallic and less musical, like the slap, buzz and picking of a guitar is more pronounced than the note that is being played.

 

I have heard Alessandro's are more tame in the highs so could I go with the MS2's and be happy? Or are they still closer to the 325i's than to the sound of the 225i's?

 

Now looking into the whole 325 vs 225 think I noticed most people think that the SR80 is just as good as the 225 and that the 125 and 225 are a waist of money and that the 325 is the nice upgrade but not liking it my self, should I jump to the RS2i? I can't afford the RS1i, if I had that kind of money it would be going to LCD 2's.

 

The other thing is I like bass especially when the boost is in the right spot like with grado's, and people have said that the 325i's have the most bass for grado's (not counting the PS models) but I don't really see it? looks like the RS2i's have more from graphs but it also makes them look just as bright at the 325i's which there not so FR graphs don't seem like a good thing to look at.

post #2 of 11
I own the 80i, 225i and 325i and the 325i is my favorite. Yes they can be too bright with a poor recording or source but paired with the right equipment they are superior in every way to the 80 and 225. Switching from the 325 to one of the other two makes them sound dull and boring, the 80 more so than the 225. I would say the 80 and 225 are similar but the 325 is a step above in depth and presentation. The 325s also sound good with all the various grado pads and that gives you an ability to tweak the sound to your liking. The other two are not as foregiving. The 80 sounds harsh with L-pads and the 225 sounds to congested with the c-pads.

And yes the 325s have the most bass of the 3 and can even have too much depending on the pad you are using and recording.

I can't comment on the RS2 or MS2 but i should be getting an RS1 and PS500 soon and I'm hoping I'll be able to keep just two grados to satisfy my open can needs. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by bassboysam - 6/28/13 at 4:22am
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

I own the 80i, 225i and 325i and the 325i is my favorite. Yes they can be too bright with a poor recording or source but paired with the right equipment they are superior in every way to the 80 and 225. Switching from the 325 to one of the other two makes them sound dull and boring, the 80 more so than the 225. I would say the 80 and 225 are similar but the 325 is a step above in depth and presentation. The 325s also sound good with all the various grado pads and that gives you an ability to tweak the sound to your liking. The other two are not as foregiving. The 80 sounds harsh with L-pads and the 225 sounds to congested with the c-pads.

And yes the 325s have the most bass of the 3 and can even have too much depending on the pad you are using and recording.

I can't comment on the RS2 or MS2 but i should be getting an RS1 and PS500 soon and I'm hoping I'll be able to keep just two grados to satisfy my open can needs. smily_headphones1.gif


I just don't know I liked the extra "detail" but as I said it seemed to take away from the music. What pads and equipment do you use with them?

 

I looked at the PS500 having even more bass but they have something like a -12db drop at 5000hz like what the heck? How is that good? I know FR curves aren't everything but that is a big hole.

post #4 of 11
I use the 325s with my ibasso P3+ and ipod at work. At home with my pc i have a fiio e10 or with my record player and LD MKIII. As for pads I've tried bowls, taped bowls, comfies and bagels. They all have their uses. Taped bowls are a good jack of all trades. I spent most of the day yesterday with the 225s then switched to the 325s. The 225s (regardless of pad) are just too lean in the bass for me and a bit more grainy than the 325s.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

I was trying to decide between the 225 and 325's but I don't really like the 325's yeah there more detailed and I don't really find them harsh but they sound metallic and less musical, like the slap, buzz and picking of a guitar is more pronounced than the note that is being played.

I went with the SR225i over the 325s because reading in the Grado Fan Club thread, it seemed there was no clear consensus over which was better because some people found the 325s too bright.

I think you'll also get better (more) advice if post your query in the Grado Fan Club thread.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

I use the 325s with my ibasso P3+ and ipod at work. At home with my pc i have a fiio e10 or with my record player and LD MKIII. As for pads I've tried bowls, taped bowls, comfies and bagels. They all have their uses. Taped bowls are a good jack of all trades. I spent most of the day yesterday with the 225s then switched to the 325s. The 225s (regardless of pad) are just too lean in the bass for me and a bit more grainy than the 325s.

I'm thinking about using taped bowls with the 225i and modding it for more bass? Then theres the whole RS2 vs RS1 baaaa

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I went with the SR225i over the 325s because reading in the Grado Fan Club thread, it seemed there was no clear consensus over which was better because some people found the 325s too bright.

I think you'll also get better (more) advice if post your query in the Grado Fan Club thread.

hmmm I could try but my post usually gets buried.

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

hmmm I could try but my post usually gets buried.

Yeah. That happens sometimes. Be sure to state what you want to know in the first couple of sentences. Sometimes people won't read a couple of paragraphs of narrative/background (like above in your original post) to get to what you want to find out.
post #8 of 11

i would highly recommend to go to a store and have some listening sessions with some of the grados mentioned here.

post #9 of 11
I personally did not notice a huge difference with the taped bowls on the 225. For more bass with the 225 the comfies worked better....of course the trade offs are less clarity and soundstage.

I just received a pair of PS500s and while the FR curve is very different than the RS and SR line, with the exception of the mid bass, they still retain the grado sound. Yes they are warmer but not as much as you'd think. The bass on these is incredibly deep and clear without being overbearing. I was shocked at some of the sub bass i was hearing out of an open can as well.
Edited by bassboysam - 6/30/13 at 1:03am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

I personally did not notice a huge difference with the taped bowls on the 225. For more bass with the 225 the comfies worked better....of course the trade offs are less clarity and soundstage.

I just received a pair of PS500s and while the FR curve is very different than the RS and SR line, with the exception of the mid bass, they still retain the grado sound. Yes they are warmer but not as much as you'd think. The bass on these is incredibly deep and clear without being overbearing. I was shocked at some of the sub bass i was hearing out of an open can as well.

This is a good comment.  However, you will notice the RS1 and PS500 (mine is an HF-2) are very similar.  The RS1 has a bit more speed and detail with a bit less bass.  I think for clarity with largely acoustical music and vocals, the RS1 is superior.  For other genres, the PS500 is better.  I'd like to have both, but have trouble pulling the trigger on the RS1's price.  Long-run, I'm sure it's worth it - the RS1 can be an end game for many people with the right equipment (ECP Audio designs).  The drive toward super-low output impedance in solid-state amps does not favor Grados.  It's why people recommend tubes, but it's not because of the supposed "warmth" of tubes - it's because the output impedance of most tube amps is almost always higher. 

 

I also have had the 225 for years and the leap in sound quality between the PS500/RS1 is pretty huge.  Great bass with Grados cost $$, unfortunately.  Another $100-$200 buys you another octave in bass as you continue up the line. wink.gif


Edited by tomb - 6/30/13 at 5:38am
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

i would highly recommend to go to a store and have some listening sessions with some of the grados mentioned here.

I did a little, thats where I thought that the 325is's were more artifcial sounding, yes more detailed but in the wrong spots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

I personally did not notice a huge difference with the taped bowls on the 225. For more bass with the 225 the comfies worked better....of course the trade offs are less clarity and soundstage.

I just received a pair of PS500s and while the FR curve is very different than the RS and SR line, with the exception of the mid bass, they still retain the grado sound. Yes they are warmer but not as much as you'd think. The bass on these is incredibly deep and clear without being overbearing. I was shocked at some of the sub bass i was hearing out of an open can as well.

I was thinking about poking some holes in the foam for more bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

This is a good comment.  However, you will notice the RS1 and PS500 (mine is an HF-2) are very similar.  The RS1 has a bit more speed and detail with a bit less bass.  I think for clarity with largely acoustical music and vocals, the RS1 is superior.  For other genres, the PS500 is better.  I'd like to have both, but have trouble pulling the trigger on the RS1's price.  Long-run, I'm sure it's worth it - the RS1 can be an end game for many people with the right equipment (ECP Audio designs).  The drive toward super-low output impedance in solid-state amps does not favor Grados.  It's why people recommend tubes, but it's not because of the supposed "warmth" of tubes - it's because the output impedance of most tube amps is almost always higher. 

 

I also have had the 225 for years and the leap in sound quality between the PS500/RS1 is pretty huge.  Great bass with Grados cost $$, unfortunately.  Another $100-$200 buys you another octave in bass as you continue up the line. wink.gif

What about the RS2i's?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Want Grado's, 225, 325, RS2 or MS2?