Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint - Page 27

post #391 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

I suspect that our musical tastes are quite different but the last album to really impress me is Howlin by Jagwar Ma. Loud and noisy though. Somebody that you may well like (and probably know already) is Fiona Apple.
BTW. This was in response to Bigshot asking about music. Another big surprise to me is how much I like Paul McCartney's New album.
post #392 of 660
Oh dear...one of my HD albums. frown.gif


I should get the CD equivalent of the album and see how the mastering is on that.
Edited by miceblue - 11/17/13 at 7:51pm
post #393 of 660
Inviting all the sirs from the saloon to a related thread (sorry in advance for my somewhat bad english):
Long story short: We create the development basis for a perfect headphone. (regarding how true high-end headphones should be like)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690818/the-perfect-stereo-headphone-true-high-end
post #394 of 660

I can't understand anything you post, I'm afraid. Enjoy it, but I can't participate. 

post #395 of 660

Me neither and I want to participate. I recommend at least putting the text into something like MIcrosoft Word and pick out any grammar mistakes. Technical talk gets harder with near gibberish documentation.

post #396 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

Me neither and I want to participate. I recommend at least putting the text into something like MIcrosoft Word and pick out any grammar mistakes. Technical talk gets harder with near gibberish documentation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

I can't understand anything you post, I'm afraid. Enjoy it, but I can't participate. 
Fixed: Magister Yoda formulations, Laconicity optimisation, Grammar mistakes.
If the problem persists, tell me in more detail what is "unable to understand".
post #397 of 660
Hm, speaking of 5.1 systems, how does a stereo headphone playback a 5.1 song? I obtained a few tracks, legally, for free from here:
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Comparing a 5.1 song to a stereo sound sounds a little different to me with stereo headphones, but nothing too drastic.
post #398 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Hm, speaking of 5.1 systems, how does a stereo headphone playback a 5.1 song? I obtained a few tracks, legally, for free from here:
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Comparing a 5.1 song to a stereo sound sounds a little different to me with stereo headphones, but nothing too drastic.

I assume those clips are meant for people with a 5.1 speaker system to compare. With two channel output like headphones, you probably wouldn't hear any difference since you are probably only listening to the L and R channels of a 5.1 file.

 

Or I use this to listen to the 5.1 files from that site with headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator


Edited by darinf - 11/18/13 at 8:31am
post #399 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinf View Post

I assume those clips are meant for people with a 5.1 speaker system to compare. With two channel output like headphones, you probably wouldn't hear any difference since you are probably only listening to the L and R channels of a 5.1 file.

Or I use this to listen to the 5.1 files from that site with headphones.
A PERFECT ANSWER!
Speaking as a scientist:
Stereo CAN NOT create 3D sound because it has objectively 2 points of sound source. in the 3D system (system because the EAR know what 3D is, tested, proven).
So, to "feel true 5.1 music" you shall do:
a) Find it.
b) Compare to 5.1 true high-end.

5.1 ONLY and thus true high-end is:
Roccat Kave 5.1 (60$)
Objectively, IDEAL for Video_perception(dvd&up quality)&Gaming
post #400 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by MygpuK View Post

A PERFECT ANSWER!
Speaking as a scientist:
Stereo CAN NOT create 3D sound because it has objectively 2 points of sound source. in the 3D system (system because the EAR know what 3D is, tested, proven).
So, to "feel true 5.1 music" you shall do:
a) Find it.
b) Compare to 5.1 true high-end.

5.1 ONLY and thus true high-end is:
Roccat Kave 5.1 (60$)
Objectively, IDEAL for Video_perception(dvd&up quality)&Gaming

'fraid I don't agree with you there. It's pretty much impossible to make "true" 5.1 headphones (with, what, 3 speakers on each side and a shaker?) with any sort of quality on each driver--not to mention that the resulting soundstage still won't be anything like a true 5.1 speaker system. HRTF virtualization using custom measured HRTFs, e.g. Smyth Realiser, using quality standard single driver headphones, is where it's at.
post #401 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

'fraid I don't agree with you there. It's pretty much impossible to make "true" 5.1 headphones (with, what, 3 speakers on each side and a shaker?) with any sort of quality on each driver--not to mention that the resulting soundstage still won't be anything like a true 5.1 speaker system. HRTF virtualization using custom measured HRTFs, e.g. Smyth Realiser, using quality standard single driver headphones, is where it's at.
Now that's a perfect criticizing.
I agree. For me, true 5.1 headphones HAVE SENSE, because closed headphones mean "somewhat isolating".

I'm listening music THE LOUD WAY biggrin.gif
So, I don't wish bothering my neighbours.
post #402 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by MygpuK View Post

Fixed: Magister Yoda formulations, Laconicity optimisation, Grammar mistakes.
If the problem persists, tell me in more detail what is "unable to understand".

 

I already told you. You aren't organizing your thoughts so other people can follow them. It has nothing to do with grammar or language. Your posts are a chore to decipher, so I don't.

post #403 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

I already told you. You aren't organizing your thoughts so other people can follow them. It has nothing to do with grammar or language. Your posts are a chore to decipher, so I don't.
I'm afraid I agree. Either language barrier or a very incoherent mind. Or both!
post #404 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Oh dear...one of my HD albums. frown.gif


I should get the CD equivalent of the album and see how the mastering is on that.

 

Unfortunately, HD doesn't mean anything in terms of sound quality. It can be mastered better, but doesn't have to be.

When the mastering engineer gets a messed up mix to begin with ...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Hm, speaking of 5.1 systems, how does a stereo headphone playback a 5.1 song?

It doesn't. The 5.1 will be mixed down to 2.0 for playback on a stereo headphone.


Edited by xnor - 11/18/13 at 10:34am
post #405 of 660
Yeah, I meant HD as in the 24/48 album from HD Tracks. XD

Interesting to know about downmixing. That being said, what does the downmixing? The DAC, or the software playing the music?


Why is it that people claim that listening to planar magnetic headphones from speaker taps magically transforms the sound quality? I don't even know what speaker taps are. >_>
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint