or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint - Page 21  

post #301 of 1671

I just got a camera that can shoot 360 degree panoramas in a single shot. I'll shoot a picture of my listening room tomorrow and post it.

post #302 of 1671
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

I just got a camera that can shoot 360 degree panoramas in a single shot. I'll shoot a picture of my listening room tomorrow and post it.

Looking forward to it!
post #303 of 1671
Me too!smily_headphones1.gif
post #304 of 1671

Here is a picture of the room from last year that I stitched together from iPhone shots...

 

 

And here are panorama I just shot this afternoon... The lighting back there isn't ideal. But it will give you the idea.

 

Screen up

https://theta360.com/s/a5

 

Screen down

https://theta360.com/s/a6

 

You'll see my "woofers" in there. The white and brown pomeranian is "Pickles" and the little black pomchi is "Schlitzee".

post #305 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

Here is a picture of the room from last year that I stitched together from iPhone shots...

 

 

And here are panorama I just shot this afternoon... The lighting back there isn't ideal. But it will give you the idea.

 

Screen up

https://theta360.com/s/a5

 

Screen down

https://theta360.com/s/a6

 

You'll see my "woofers" in there. The white and brown pomeranian is "Pickles" and the little black pomchi is "Schlitzee".

 

Looks like a great place to hang out! 

post #306 of 1671
That is one heck of a man cave! You shoot the decor yourself?smily_headphones1.gif I bet the room sounds good too. That vaulted ceiling and plenty of soft furnishings. The panorama camera is very impressive too. I like the fact that you can drag the image around manually.
post #307 of 1671

Nah, thats too clean to be a man cave.

post #308 of 1671

I have a lady that comes in and takes care of that stuff for me. The only thing I get to mess up is my desk and workspace.

 

The couches are actually placed to prevent reflections on the side. Kind of like room treatment with furniture.

 

I capture all my own big game... on ebay!


Edited by bigshot - 10/28/13 at 10:07am
post #309 of 1671
A woman that does eh? The way forward. I could see that a lot of thought had gone into acoustics. You pleased with the way it all sounds? I gave up with speakers in my main room as the dimensions and layout were hopeless. Hence headphones!
post #310 of 1671
What does the "speed" of a headphone mean, and what of the Innerfidelity.com measurements is indicative of it? I know what it's supposed to mean, but how does one describe it? i.e. What do snare drums or cymbals sound like if they were from a "slow" headphone versus a "fast" one?

Does speed relate to how one perceives the soundstage and/or imaging?

Innerfidelity measures the impulse response and claims more oscillations/wiggles indicates a smaller soundstage, or was it imaging?
Edited by miceblue - 11/1/13 at 9:34am
post #311 of 1671

There's a difference between speed and speed.

High speed of the driver means great transient response so it can reproduce high frequencies better. If you see an early roll-off the driver is "slower".

 

Perceived speed is a more complex matter. For example, boosted sub bass may give the impression of "slow" and "lagging behind" bass.

post #312 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

What do snare drums or cymbals sound like if they were from a "slow" headphone versus a "fast" one?





 



The term you may hear with a snare drum that I like to use is "snap", if you've ever been around a drummer hitting the snare at full power you can feel it physically, and while its not really possible to exactly recreate that feeling with a headphone, it is amazing how much of that feeling can be relayed through a good pair.

The stuff xnor said is pretty spot on as well.
Edited by Muinarc - 11/1/13 at 11:02am
post #313 of 1671

The decay on a snare drum is several orders of magnitude slower than any headphone. Speed is mostly placebo.

post #314 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

The decay on a snare drum is several orders of magnitude slower than any headphone. Speed is mostly placebo.


 



Yeah, I was focusing more on the attack than the decay I guess since miceblue mentioned impulse response. Driver design and diaphragm materials can have an effect on this.
post #315 of 1671

Or if a headphone reproduces the faster decaying overtones of an instrument louder, for example because of a treble boost, it's probably gonna be perceived as "faster".

The speed and timing relationship didn't really change though.

 

I could also think of high amounts of distortion mudding up the whole spectrum which could cause the decay of distinct tones to be perceived as faster (they would disappear earlier in all the added distortion products).


Edited by xnor - 11/1/13 at 12:17pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint