or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint - Page 80  

post #1186 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by anetode View Post
 

 

 

It appears that bigshot's thumbs up button has been remanded to custody. I eagerly await the bail hearing.

 

I had to check for myself, and it's true...  How much is bail on bigshot's thumbs up button?  Can we all pitch in to cover it?  Or is it considered dangerous enough that there will be no bail?

post #1187 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeardBen View Post

I had to check for myself, and it's true...  How much is bail on bigshot's thumbs up button?  Can we all pitch in to cover it?  Or is it considered dangerous enough that there will be no bail?

"We don't allow discussion of moderation on the forums. Nothing productive can possibly come from it."

That speaks volumes as to the mindset of the Powers That Be. No different than totalitarian regimes. "We don't allow discussion of the state's actions. Nothing positive can possibly come from it." Nothing positive can possibly come from it. Think about that for a moment.

se
post #1188 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

. . . . Think about that for a moment.

All I could think about was how someone could think it is a good idea to gripe about the moderation policy which says no discussing moderation blink.gif
post #1189 of 1671

how this one is still up and we're not all banned, but the claim&myth one just got canned too, is beyond my understanding.

can't you at least give a reason when you guys lock a topic? as the murder weapon usually gets deleted with the lock, we end up with a topic that looks condemned for no crime.  an alternative minority report, remove the crime but still jail the guys.

 

there were a lot of interesting things to read in the middle of analogsurviver's Compulsive False Assumption Disorder. plz don't force everybody to stop writing and learning about topics. that just plain sucks!

I like reading those topics. they're pretty much the only ones where I still learn something from time to time because they can go in very changing directions and talk about subjects I wouldn't even think about. even analogsurv is a good part of the process as he has ideas I know for a fact I would never have ^_^. good or bad, they let us think about it.

the rest of headfi I mostly browse in case I can help somebody. I don't really expect to learn something outside of where to get the prettiest leather case for a DAP. because everything is so partitioned that you can't really hope to talk about advanced stuff, even related to the product. people will soon come to ush us out telling us to go to the sound science section.

so plz let our little sound science ghetto topics be. 

post #1190 of 1671
I think you're right, this part of the forum needs different moderating.
People will always have different opinions but especially in science this could lead to extremely interesting debates that may look to be offending but are actually very interesting for all parties.
post #1191 of 1671

Surely someone can build a modbot out of science bits?

post #1192 of 1671
That's the two best threads gone in, what, less than a week, a real shame. @castleofargh I agree 100% with your sentiments about the value of the two but, i think you're being way too charitable about your friend with CFAD, recently, he's one of the only points of commonality between these two threads. Imo, he'd gone way beyond tedious and should have been on a psychiatrists couch, not posting in Sound Science. Unlike you and I and probably the majority, I don't think he had any interest in being here to learn, in his mind he didn't have that need, because he already knew everything. He just did not know when to shut the hell up, his compulsive need to have the last word was total bollocks and @bigshot called it correctly that both threads were gonna end up being locked, unless he controlled himself. He may not have been a troll, but he was the supreme thread crapper. But like you say the mods are more likely to kill the thread rather than show the offender the door, which isn't helpful or constructive, but, I suspect, suits their aim of the science only ever been debatable rather than conclusive.

So, as I have no desire to read yet another thread about impedance matching of iems to amps or what's the best dap for Sunday use, Sound Science has turned into a bit of a wasteland for me personally and I suspect for others. Great shame.
post #1193 of 1671

This is all depressing to read. But I wonder whether there is a need to be so defeatist about it.

I for one have found a great deal of information in the said threads. It has totally changed the way I look at my equipment and the enjoyment of music I get from it - namely contentment and immunity from the constant need to upgrade/tweak/spend etc. Also some of the conversations have been downright hilarious and a source of great entertainment.

 

At the same time I wish posters would resist the urge to add to the repetitive arguments that do not progress the thread and that risk the wrath of the red flag. The latter statement is of course merely one man's utopian vision, but,

 

Main point: Why not do as Hollywood do and reboot the threads? E.g. entitled "24bit versus 16bit, the myth exploded!" and "Testing audiophile myths and claims"

Putting my optimistic idealist hat on again, members could help curate the new threads' content by adding the best bits from the old ones.
EDIT: Hopefully this will serve as a form of evolving/refining the thread and its contents - even if it get locked again, another reboot and curating will continue the progress.


Have I missed any regulations that stop us from doing this?


Edited by SunTanScanMan - 4/14/15 at 6:32am
post #1194 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post
 

This is all depressing to read. But I wonder whether there is a need to be so defeatist about it.

I for one have found a great deal of information in the said threads. It has totally changed the way I look at my equipment and the enjoyment of music I get from it - namely contentment and immunity from the constant need to upgrade/tweak/spend etc. Also some of the conversations have been downright hilarious and a source of great entertainment.

 

At the same time I wish posters would resist the urge to add to the repetitive arguments that do not progress the thread and that risk the wrath of the red flag. The latter statement is of course merely one man's utopian vision, but,

 

Main point: Why not do as Hollywood do and reboot the threads? E.g. entitled "24bit versus 16bit, the myth exploded!" and "Testing audiophile myths and claims"

Putting my optimistic idealist hat on again, members could help curate the new threads' content by adding the best bits from the old ones.
EDIT: Hopefully this will serve as a form of evolving/refining the thread and its contents - even if it get locked again, another reboot and curating will continue the progress.


Have I missed any regulations that stop us from doing this?

 

Already started for 24-bit:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761931/the-straight-dope-on-24-bit-recordings

 

The issue is that the problem still isn't addressed; that is, people are free to come into the new thread and post pages about CD mats. Evidently the solution is to narc on them via the report system, but why is that necessary when mods have already seen them poopoo *2* major threads in a week?

post #1195 of 1671

Thanks for the 24-bit thread link.
 

I still feel there has to be an 'open-door' policy in any thread.
If there is the report system, I suggest people use it - either that or posters stop engaging with unproductive arguments. That is the only way I see - not perfect, but the best we got.

post #1196 of 1671

Ideally a member causing trouble would be suspended from that particular forum for a time. Maybe permanently if they keep re-offending.

Add me to the list of people not approving of the current moderator(s).

post #1197 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRod View Post

Already started for 24-bit:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761931/the-straight-dope-on-24-bit-recordings

The issue is that the problem still isn't addressed; that is, people are free to come into the new thread and post pages about CD mats. Evidently the solution is to narc on them via the report system, but why is that necessary when mods have already seen them poopoo *2* major threads in a week?
The problem is with the mods track record, the complaint system is much more likely to result in a locked thread, not the offender being shown the door. It's pretty understandable in a way, the effort required to clean up the thread once someone has crapped it is pretty substantial if it's gone on for more than a few days. Having said that, I am in complete agreement with your post, if the system worked as intended.
post #1198 of 1671

So how does that red flag button even work?  I don't remember ever using it because I don't like the idea of being a narc.

 

Do you get to type in anything about what you think is wrong with the post or does it just alert all the mods and leave it to them to draw their own conclusions?

post #1199 of 1671
You get to choose the reason for the report and to add commentary. Go ahead and click it. There's a cancel option.

se
post #1200 of 1671
Can you report yourself?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint