Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO - Page 3

post #31 of 496

These are surprisingly good headphones for $50, but the build quality is a bit poor. My left driver is already cutting in and out. I have to push on the driver from the inside to get it working again.

post #32 of 496
I already have the HD661 which is forward and bright. I'm now looking cans with similar or better highs/mids but also with more bass for home use (so size and open/closed don't matter).

Should I buy the HD661 EVO ($67 incl. shipping from aliexpress) or save up more for ATH-M50 ($155) or beyer DT770 Pro ($220 in my country)?

I'm willing to spend up tp $200 is my budget, but $220 my absolute maxxxxx. But I prefer to spend under $100 for a set of cans and use the remaining $100 for buying an amp like a FiiO E10 or E17 (which would require me to save up longer).
Edited by elzafir - 8/9/13 at 10:55am
post #33 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzafir View Post

I already have the HD661 which is forward and bright. I'm now looking cans with similar or better highs/mids but also with more bass for home use (so size and open/closed don't matter).

Should I buy the HD661 EVO ($67 incl. shipping from aliexpress) or save up more for ATH-M50 ($155) or beyer DT770 Pro ($220 in my country)?

I'm willing to spend up tp $200 is my budget, but $220 my absolute maxxxxx. But I prefer to spend under $100 for a set of cans and use the remaining $100 for buying an amp like a FiiO E10 or E17 (which would require me to save up longer).

$51 shipped here for the 681 evo.

 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Superlux-hd681evo-Dynamic-Semi-open-Professional-Audio-Monitoring-Headphones-Earphones-Detachable-Audio-Cable/993139228.html

post #34 of 496

hi, i am looking for a cheap pair for gaming (and music), would you recommend the HD681 EVO (soundstage/positioning)? can you compare the to other headphone at this price point, like the takstar hi 2050?

i read here that the superlux are not the most comfortable headphone, do you have glasses and if you do can you wear the headphones for several hour or does it get painful?

i know the takstar are better build, my friend bought them and he is very happy but i want to know more about other options. plus fixing headphones should be easy (as long as the plastic is intact).

thank you :) 

post #35 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

These are surprisingly good headphones for $50, but the build quality is a bit poor. My left driver is already cutting in and out. I have to push on the driver from the inside to get it working again.

 

When I had mine I almost immediately re-cabled it... the stock cable is terrible...

post #36 of 496

Was quoting the EMS price. Ain't no way I'll let my headphones spend 60 days on a boat somewhere.

Btw, mind answering my questions?
post #37 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzafir View Post


Was quoting the EMS price. Ain't no way I'll let my headphones spend 60 days on a boat somewhere.

Btw, mind answering my questions?

 

I've had few issues using ChinaPost shipping, sometimes packages take a while to get on a boat but all have arrived on time and without damage or loss, at least in my experience ChinaPost and EMS are on par with reliability with EMS being faster as they are shipped with a higher priority. AliExpress does offer some level of buyer protection, as the funds are supposedly put in escrow until accepted by the buyer.

 

Having not had the HD661, I can't draw any comparisons but from what others have said they are quite similar with slightly less harshness in the highs and more lows. I'd recommend these and if you're not completely happy with your purpose I would expect they'd be easy to flick off secondhand

post #38 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzafir View Post


Was quoting the EMS price. Ain't no way I'll let my headphones spend 60 days on a boat somewhere.

Btw, mind answering my questions?

 

My other headphones from them came in 5 days to the US. A little trick I came to realize, is that when "Epacket" is used on anything from China, it arrives much quicker than via regular HK Post. I use it all the time.

 

The 681 Evo has more bass and less harsh treble over the 661. For $51, it is a huge value performer.

 

I just picked up the Noontec Hammo, and the sound signature is very similar, but the Hammo has even more bass. It is $120 at Tanga.

post #39 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzle View Post

I've had few issues using ChinaPost shipping, sometimes packages take a while to get on a boat but all have arrived on time and without damage or loss, at least in my experience ChinaPost and EMS are on par with reliability with EMS being faster as they are shipped with a higher priority. AliExpress does offer some level of buyer protection, as the funds are supposedly put in escrow until accepted by the buyer.

Having not had the HD661, I can't draw any comparisons but from what others have said they are quite similar with slightly less harshness in the highs and more lows. I'd recommend these and if you're not completely happy with your purpose I would expect they'd be easy to flick off secondhand

Ah, you are right. More to the fact that these EVO are not being sold in Indoneaia yet, because the main distributor is busy moving the HD661 to the masses.

I've had fairly good experience with AliEx in the past, it's my one destination to buy stuff from China.

My worry is more whether the EVO would be a good buy for me.

By the way, this is the first time I had not seen a comparison with an "audiophile" brands. Usually a new Lux would be marked as a giant killer. What other higher end headphones does the EVO sound like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

My other headphones from them came in 5 days to the US. A little trick I came to realize, is that when "Epacket" is used on anything from China, it arrives much quicker than via regular HK Post. I use it all the time.

The 681 Evo has more bass and less harsh treble over the 661. For $51, it is a huge value performer.

I just picked up the Noontec Hammo, and the sound signature is very similar, but the Hammo has even more bass. It is $120 at Tanga.

More bass and less harsh, specially when compared to my old Samson SR-850, is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just torn whether I should get the EVO or save up more for M50?

I fear if I'm stuck with the Luxes, as great as they might be, I'll never experience real high end brand of cans....
post #40 of 496
Quote:

More bass and less harsh, specially when compared to my old Samson SR-850, is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just torn whether I should get the EVO or save up more for M50?

I fear if I'm stuck with the Luxes, as great as they might be, I'll never experience real high end brand of cans....

They have plenty of bass and I don't consider them harsh unless paired with a bright amp. Even then it is beyond tolerable.

They're about equal to the m50. They sound much more natural and even balanced, but I prefer the m50 tonality, makes the music more impactful and intimate

Are they true hi-fi? Not really
Are they close? Heck yes. 


Edited by wafflezz - 8/10/13 at 10:42pm
post #41 of 496
--double post. damn tapatalk---
Edited by elzafir - 8/10/13 at 11:08pm
post #42 of 496
--double post. damn tapatalk--
Edited by elzafir - 8/10/13 at 11:10pm
post #43 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflezz View Post

They have plenty of bass and I don't consider them harsh unless paired with a bright amp. Even then it is beyond tolerable.

They're about equal to the m50. They sound much more natural and even balanced, but I prefer the m50 tonality, makes the music more impactful and intimate

Are they true hi-fi? Not really
Are they close? Heck yes. 

Wow. Thanks for this. i'm inclined to the EVO now...with the money saved from buying the EVO instead of the M50, I could get a FiiO E12...
Btw, what do you mean by the tonality? How does tonality correlates to impact and intimacy?
Edited by elzafir - 8/10/13 at 11:10pm
post #44 of 496

can you plz answer my questions (4th post on the 3rd page) regarding gaming with the 681 EVO, wearing them with glasses on and comparing them to the takstar hi 2050

post #45 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by noamsim View Post

can you plz answer my questions (4th post on the 3rd page) regarding gaming with the 681 EVO, wearing them with glasses on and comparing them to the takstar hi 2050

not an attempt...just guessing.. cos i dun do gaming !! :P never played a game on the screeeen..ya i am a dinosaur ..hehe

 

ok gaming...good seperation, good clarity....soundstage not jammed up..hows that for gaming???? good rite?? 

 

2nd point...glasses..errr...the pleather texture is quite thick, doesnt feel like cheap plasticky pleather. 

not the soft pliable type u see on a K550. so i suspect there is not gonna be as much "give" vs a k550yype

to absorb the frame of your glasses. But who knows the pleather might soften, i am still breaking in the pleather i believe. 

 

whats a takstar....???????????????? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO