Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO - Page 18

post #256 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Sorry, don`t agree at all! Maybe you don`t have right tubes to get HD-681 depth and layering or maybe something`s wrong with your HD-681/setup/modding but saying HD-681 sounds 2d & almost one layer is like saying pigs can fly. Sorry, my ears & opinion and I bet many agree with it. Not trying to say that EVO is crap but even if there is difference, it`s tiny and that doesn`t make old HD-681 2d with one layer. But I`m glad that you like your EVO, enjoy it ;)

That`s exactly what I`m enjoying on my HD-681 mkII ;)

I use 6n23p-ev in my Project Sunrise II, it's not expensive but sounds very good and have good depth.  There's nothing wrong with my HD681 mod or my setup, i have used more than 4 HD681: 2 for me and some modded for my friend and i must say, i know it very well. Saying red 681 has only one layer maybe too extreme, with well recorded song, it have quite layers to its sound but if the red 681 have 2 layers than the EVO has at least 4, the difference is not tiny at all, pls dont' judge something when you haven't heard it.

post #257 of 522

Oh, now I see... 1st. - you are not using Aune T1 at all? I thought you have SAME setup. 2nd. - 6N23P has small intimate soundstage and is foward-sounding tube. For me it sounds like "through the blanket", far from clearness and multi-layering. Maybe there lies your "2 layer sound" problem with HD-681. 6N23P tube sound is one of worst out of my tubes and it limits HD-681 soundstage, imaging and separation a lot. Maybe it suits for our taste with PSRII but overall tube characteristic stays same. So, pls don`t judge HD-681 based on that tube being 2 layer, that`s just wrong and misleading ppl. I have about 40 different tubes in my Aune T1 arsenal and I know what I`m talking about. HD-681 is NOT 2-layered and has plenty of depth. Don`t like to "argue" and this is my final opinion & post about this subject. Sorry for offtopic.

 

Edit: bhazard, this is offtopic and you should ask about tubes in Aune T1 thread not here ;) 


Edited by CoiL - 10/27/13 at 12:23am
post #258 of 522
I just got the Aune T1. What's the best tube you recommend? I like a good, deep bass, and neutral everything else.
post #259 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Oh, now I see... 1st. - you are not using Aune T1 at all? I thought you have SAME setup. 2nd. - 6N23P has small intimate soundstage and is foward-sounding tube. For me it sounds like "through the blanket", far from clearness and multi-layering. Maybe there lies your "2 layer sound" problem with HD-681. 6N23P tube sound is one of worst out of my tubes and it limits HD-681 soundstage, imaging and separation a lot. Maybe it suits for our taste with PSRII but overall tube characteristic stays same. So, pls don`t judge HD-681 based on that tube being 2 layer, that`s just wrong and misleading ppl. I have about 40 different tubes in my Aune T1 arsenal and I know what I`m talking about. HD-681 is NOT 2-layered and has plenty of depth. Don`t like to "argue" and this is my final opinion & post about this subject. Sorry for offtopic.

 

Edit: bhazard, this is offtopic and you should ask about tubes in Aune T1 thread not here ;) 

 

I dont' use Aune T1. In fact when talking about  soundstage depth, i don't use PSII at all, my modded O2 have much better 3D soundstage, that's my reference.

P/s: In PSII, the 6n23p is very well regarded, it sounds close in, intimate? Right but not much compare to the 12au7 gold lion and trade for soundstage depth. My 6n23p is this one http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=243&osCsid=e4m0cjj2bnkg77k74htqu0s6g7

post #260 of 522

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/551317_607619732635323_2065441206_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/601429_607662255964404_280813820_n.jpg

i bought all of these above from proid, arhhh the 681 evo complete changed with the filter mod( real beast for 50$),disappointed with the original evo tho,

p/s: maybe i will try foam-disc mod later, should i?

post #261 of 522

Which filter mod did you exactly use? And hows the bass apartment? Enough tightness & punch coupled with littlebit extended deep bass? Or did it become more neutral & "dry"?

post #262 of 522

Which one should I get if I wanted the best possible soundstage for positional accuracy? I am a competitive FPS gamer so hearing footsteps is very important to me. Someone said the original 681 red version is probably the best, and it is cheaper as well.  

 

I won't be modding at all. 

post #263 of 522

I would get the 681-B, it is, in my opinion, the best of the series. Better bass quality, biggest soundstage (awesome), seperation of instruments iss unbelievably good, everything is in harmony here. If you compare the 681 (red rings) with the 681-B (silver rings) side by side, you will be dissapointed by the red version. For the B Version you dont even need a mod, it sounds fantastic out of the box, but i put on velours (SHURE SRH-840 or AKG K240) and the sounds gets even better. Most people think the "B" stands for Bass. Thats not the case, it stands for "balanced" and the sound is realy good balanced, unlike the red standard one, whrere you need to mod.

 

BUT don't buy the 681-F (white rings). This one is very, very flat and there's much less bass. The F Version is good for people, who like AKG Models like the K601 etc. 681 & 681 B are for people who like the K240 Models.

post #264 of 522

Wow thanks for the review it was exactly what I was looking for.  Does the 681-b have the biggest soundstage or are they all the same?  

 

Anyone else have experience with any of these models?

post #265 of 522

For FPS game I recommend HD-662F, very accurate and detailed positioning & sound. Plus, it`s closed can that`s better for FPS. Don`t mistake HD-662 series F version for being flat with no bass like the HD-681 F version. I have both, HD-681 red and HD-662F... for music enjoyment first is better but for analytical listening & also FPS gaming HD-662F is perfect imo.

 

edit: one review in german between red vs. F vs. B version of HD-681: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f267/superlux-681-b-f-guenstige-und-gute-kopfhoerer-816316.html


Edited by CoiL - 11/11/13 at 2:23pm
post #266 of 522

The 681 Series (including EVO) all share similar soundstages, but for me, 681-B has the best of them all. Its like the 681-B takes the best abilities of all the other 681s and puts them together. If you want to listen to music , watch movies and play games etc, go for 681-B. If you need something for mixing or the studio, you should probably take a look at the 662 series, which are good for the studio imo. But i dont like them for music or gaming. 681 series have a big soundstage and seperation. 662 series is a joke in terms of soundstage, they simply don't have it (no wonders here, open can vs closed can). Maybe thats why the 681s are good for music and atmospheric stuff and the 662 very good for mixing / studio. The 681s can't beat the 662 if you need something for the studio, they're really good in this.


Edited by Natsukawa - 11/11/13 at 2:38pm
post #267 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

For FPS game I recommend HD-662F, very accurate and detailed positioning & sound. Plus, it`s closed can that`s better for FPS. Don`t mistake HD-662 series F version for being flat with no bass like the HD-681 F version. I have both, HD-681 red and HD-662F... for music enjoyment first is better but for analytical listening & also FPS gaming HD-662F is perfect imo.

 

edit: one review in german between red vs. F vs. B version of HD-681: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f267/superlux-681-b-f-guenstige-und-gute-kopfhoerer-816316.html

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsukawa View Post
 

The 681 Series (including EVO) all share similar soundstages, but for me, 681-B has the best of them all. Its like the 681-B takes the best abilities of all the other 681s and puts them together. If you want to listen to music , watch movies and play games etc, go for 681-B. If you need something for mixing or the studio, you should probably take a look at the 662 series, which are good for the studio imo. But i dont like them for music or gaming. 681 series have a big soundstage and seperation. 662 series is a joke in terms of soundstage, they simply don't have it (no wonders here, open can vs closed can). Maybe thats why the 681s are good for music and atmospheric stuff and the 662 very good for mixing / studio. The 681s can't beat the 662 if you need something for the studio, they're really good in this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

For FPS game I recommend HD-662F, very accurate and detailed positioning & sound. Plus, it`s closed can that`s better for FPS. Don`t mistake HD-662 series F version for being flat with no bass like the HD-681 F version. I have both, HD-681 red and HD-662F... for music enjoyment first is better but for analytical listening & also FPS gaming HD-662F is perfect imo.

 

edit: one review in german between red vs. F vs. B version of HD-681: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f267/superlux-681-b-f-guenstige-und-gute-kopfhoerer-816316.html

Thanks for your reviews.  I agree that open cans are way better and a no brainer.  The 662 shouldn't even compare to the 681 when it comes to soundstage which is the most important in gaming.

 

I read the review and it states that the red version has a little bit wider soundstage.  However he does recommend he likes the 681-b the best as well I think (hard to translate to german) 

 

Leaning towards the 681-b right now though.  If anyone else has more opinions would be great! 

post #268 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsukawa View Post
662 series is a joke in terms of soundstage, they simply don't have it (no wonders here, open can vs closed can). Maybe thats why the 681s are good for music and atmospheric stuff and the 662 very good for mixing / studio. The 681s can't beat the 662 if you need something for the studio, they're really good in this.

Sorry but imho this is BS. HD-662F has exceptional soundstage for a closed can! Of course it can`t compete with HD-681 soundstage largeness but do you really need so large soundstage for gaming? I think NO. Positioning and accuracy are more important than some far distant sounds you "can`t" locate. But I guess it`s really a matter of taste. 

post #269 of 522

Thats all i said. The 662 HAS a soundstage . . . . but compared to the 681s, its a joke. For a closed can, its good. But why should i get limited soundstage and seperation . . . . when i can get a wiiiider and better one for half the price? There is no "Enough" soundstage for music & Gaming IMO. Why should he buy less for more money. I mean i'am a big superlux fan myself (i have all of them), but every can has its purposes. Would you buy a Playstation 3 for 40 bucks . . . when you can get a Playstation 4 for 20 bucks?  ;D  If he'd be searching for a mixing studio can, the situatioin would be the opposite. . . the 662 wiuld be the PS4 and the 681 the Ps3. The 662 is good 4 gaming too. But then you put on the 681 and you have a big smile on your face, because it was created for this and you can hear it and you're wow'd  . . . "damn....only 20 bucks?...ZOMG" xD

 

Just my 2 cents.

post #270 of 522

Was thinking of getting an all arounder, games, music, movies for my desk.  Seems like the 681-b is the one.  But I don't see anyone selling the B version anywhere.  I see the EVO and regular 681s on Amazon.  Are they all pretty much similar that I wouldn't be like, dammit should of got the B!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO