Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO - Page 13

post #181 of 496

Thanks for info, "will keep my soldering-iron warm" and wait for Frans mod ;P

post #182 of 496

I now have around 100 hours of burn in on these phones.  I'm very impressed with them.  It's amazing that they only cost as little as they do! A friend who has some high end Ultrasones also checked them out and was amazed by sound quality/build quality vs the price.

 

So far, I've been running them off the soundcard in my computer. But I'm also going to try them out with my Little Dot Mk3 to see how they sound when amplified. 

 

Right now they're doing pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.  They are definitely an improvement over the UR40's in sound quality.  And they are a nice change in sound signature from my home headphone system utilizing Senn HD 580's.

post #183 of 496

A solution for those who dont want to make a filter: Just stuff cotton inside the cup, the more you stuff = more treble, less bass and vice versa, you can kill fat bass this way or you can use filter wool too, it can kill bass quite crazy.

post #184 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by proid View Post

A solution for those who dont want to make a filter: Just stuff cotton inside the cup, the more you stuff = more treble, less bass and vice versa, you can kill fat bass this way or you can use filter wool too, it can kill bass quite crazy.
How much did you add of it? And did you test cotton pads? I have been using also three layers of thin activated carbon filter it works very well too smily_headphones1.gif
post #185 of 496

Use Polyfil instead of cotton. Its the same stuff I use to stuff my subwoofers with.

 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Morning-Glory-Premium-Polyester-Fiberfill-20-oz./19397510?findingMethod=rr

post #186 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiksu View Post


How much did you add of it? And did you test cotton pads? I have been using also three layers of thin activated carbon filter it works very well too smily_headphones1.gif

I want to reduce both the treble and the bass on my pair. Anyway to do that easily?

post #187 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by proid View Post

A solution for those who dont want to make a filter: Just stuff cotton inside the cup, the more you stuff = more treble, less bass and vice versa, you can kill fat bass this way or you can use filter wool too, it can kill bass quite crazy.

Could you please post some pics? That would help a lot.
Thanks
post #188 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiksu View Post


How much did you add of it? And did you test cotton pads? I have been using also three layers of thin activated carbon filter it works very well too smily_headphones1.gif

 

I have filter installed so i use very small amount of cotton, like a coin

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflezz View Post
 

I want to reduce both the treble and the bass on my pair. Anyway to do that easily?

 

Noway except a filter

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairspray View Post


Could you please post some pics? That would help a lot.
Thanks

 

It would look like this, stuff natural wool, cotton or filter wool at the space inside the cup

post #189 of 496

I have some angora (rabbit) wool to try this with haha.

I haven't opened the cups up yet - would someone be so kind as to post brief instructions to help with this process?

post #190 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzle View Post
 

I have some angora (rabbit) wool to try this with haha.

I haven't opened the cups up yet - would someone be so kind as to post brief instructions to help with this process?

It's easy to open but need to be very carefull not to break wires. I have already destroyed two times those fragile wires =( But I added better wire for a broken ones. Lol :)

 

1) Remove first screw from inside cover. The screw is before grey band.

2) Pop out inside cover

3) Pop out the front cover too and gently push it to down until it comes off.

4) Now you see wires going to tiny hole. Lift gently the cap and now you see driver unit's back and a free space. And fill it with your stuff.

 

Also remove bigger screw in the middle of cap.


Edited by Miiksu - 9/4/13 at 3:39pm
post #191 of 496
Mine just arrived. Using it out of Nexus 4 without amp, it's a bit too quite volume-wise, don't you think? I mean, for a 32 Ohm headphones. I would expect low volumes with 56-68 Ohm cans such as the HD668b and HD661, but I expected the EVO to be louder.

Maybe I got a defective unit?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
post #192 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzafir View Post

Mine just arrived. Using it out of Nexus 4 without amp, it's a bit too quite volume-wise, don't you think? I mean, for a 32 Ohm headphones. I would expect low volumes with 56-68 Ohm cans such as the HD668b and HD661, but I expected the EVO to be louder.

Maybe I got a defective unit?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

It's not the headphone, its the Nexus. I have the 4 too, and my Nexus 7 is significantly louder with the 681 evo.

 

There are audio programs that help fix the Nexus 4's poor sound, but you need to be rooted (Viper4Android being my favorite, then Fauxsound).

post #193 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzafir View Post

Mine just arrived. Using it out of Nexus 4 without amp, it's a bit too quite volume-wise, don't you think? I mean, for a 32 Ohm headphones. I would expect low volumes with 56-68 Ohm cans such as the HD668b and HD661, but I expected the EVO to be louder.

Maybe I got a defective unit?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

 

Lower ohm doesn't mean it will sound louder, my 668B definetely sounds louder than 681

post #194 of 496

Can you please explain the franz mod for the EVO? I see the green line has something with 100 ohm attached to it. Do you use the same schematic as the normal filter mod? If so, can you provide information similarly as how the 662f mod was provided, i.e. something like this:

r1 = r2 = 47 Ohm

r3 = r4 = 51 Ohm (56 Ohm if guitars and cymbals feel too bright)

C1 = C2 = C3 = C4 = 1.33uF (1uF // 330nF)

L1 = L2 = L3 = L4 = 470uH

post #195 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by robakri View Post
 

Can you please explain the franz mod for the EVO? I see the green line has something with 100 ohm attached to it. Do you use the same schematic as the normal filter mod? If so, can you provide information similarly as how the 662f mod was provided, i.e. something like this:

r1 = r2 = 47 Ohm

r3 = r4 = 51 Ohm (56 Ohm if guitars and cymbals feel too bright)

C1 = C2 = C3 = C4 = 1.33uF (1uF // 330nF)

L1 = L2 = L3 = L4 = 470uH

 

For a flat filter with lowest treble you need 10uf/25v bipolar capacitor parrarel with a 100ohm resistor and both in series with 1.5mh inductor.

Continue in EVO vs red 681. I must say the red 681 is much better in midrange compare to the EVO, it's fuller, smoother and more pleasant to listen to. The EVO has deeper soundstage, better detail, better seperation but the red 681 make me involve more in music with great mid range.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO