Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO - Page 8

post #106 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by proid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Well, opinions are different. When you read rockgrotto forum and other impressions, ppl seem to like hd681 with mkII filter better than EVO when it comes to sound.
EVO stock cable is pretty "crap" like stock HD681. Needs changing.
EVO stock pads are better than HD681 pads but also should be changed for better ones. Needs changing.
EVO harsh highs are "hidden" with felt which many find too "muddy" sounding. If they are removed the highs peaks are back like stock HD681. Needs modding. Although, I agree, it`s lot easier to mod than soldering filter, not everyone can do it.

 

For me it`s cheaper to go with HD681 and mod it. Filter components are dirt cheap and made my own pads which are lot better than stock (and I belive better than AKG velour), also dirt cheap. For me, only bonus with EVO is the design.

As far as I`ve read about EVO impressions It seems that if you want better sound and don`t care about looks, go for HD681 with filter and AKG velour (or custom) pads. 

 
Not saying that EVO is crap and don`t buy it, opposite - it`s definitely great bang-for-a-buck cans. Just that for me it`s easier and cheaper to mod HD681. Seems to be matter of taste in the end.

 

I read rockgrotto forum and i only see that Rabbit and Frans have both EVO and 681, Frans didn't listen to the new EVO, Rabbit said that after remove the felt they are almost identical. In other forum, the impression is quite mix, 50% prefer EVO, 50% like 681.

I recabled 681 with canare cable and it's quite a improment but not very big, if it's crap than every headphone cable under 150$ is crap too

I think the better pads you a refering to must be some type of J $ pads or Alpha pads. The velour pads come with EVO is very good, as good or better than the AKG K240, no need to change.

If you already read the thread in diyah, you must know that EVO without felt doesn't have the peak like original 681, EVO without felt have the right high frequency that a original filtered 681 aim for. They are different, EVO is not a original 681 with felt.

If you are type of modding guy then i agree original 681 is more P/p but other than that i think EVO is much better for everyone else.

Agreed. I thought that EVO is with similiar pads as HD662F, at least I have seen them with those leather immitation vinyl pads. Didn`t know there is newer velour pads version.

post #107 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Agreed. I thought that EVO is with similiar pads as HD662F, at least I have seen them with those leather immitation vinyl pads. Didn`t know there is newer velour pads version.

Somewhere you can get the EVO with both velour and pleather pads for 35$, that's incredible bargain.

post #108 of 475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post


[...] 50bucks.

 

biggrin.gif

[...]

 

na, only 30 bucks... tongue.gif

post #109 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by proid View Post

Somewhere you can get the EVO with both velour and pleather pads for 35$, that's incredible bargain.

na, only 30 bucks... tongue.gif

post #110 of 475

That graph was done by someone on another I think. He used a high output amp because there's NO WAY the bass is that strong. I heard it, I own these myself. It's not that bass heavy, although slightly elevated. Also I never really heard a 4khz drop. Idk though try it out for yourself guys and use your ears to try and detect it with a frequency sweep. 

post #111 of 475

hi so euh ... quick question if you guys don't mind 

 

are the evo's  very revealing in terms of bad source ? ( I tend to watch streams quite a lot and unfortunately that means 96kb audio at times)

 

on the verge of picking them up and this is the only thing holding me back so ... :p

post #112 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah87 View Post

hi so euh ... quick question if you guys don't mind 

 

are the evo's  very revealing in terms of bad source ? ( I tend to watch streams quite a lot and unfortunately that means 96kb audio at times)

 

on the verge of picking them up and this is the only thing holding me back so ... :p

 

From my experience, yes. Much like any other decent headphones I have tried these allow for clear audio resolution, which means that good audio sounds good, and bad audio sounds bad. You may be able to EQ out your source to sound OK, but anything lower than 256kbps is just upsetting to listen to. It really does depend on which encoder was used, as some compressed audio just sounds lifeless and not tinny.

In saying this, you should try them for yourself and see :)

post #113 of 475

50bucks...giv it a shot.

 

0r 30bucks, guv it a doubleshot!!biggrin.gif

post #114 of 475

Can anyone here that has heard or owns the takstar Hi-2050 compare the 681 EVO and takstars?

 

Do you think it would make sense to own both or are they too similar. I'm looking for something with a different signature from the Takstars just to have something to go to when I want to hear something different. I would like something fuller and even warmer with the bass levels being the same or more (so I guess not less bass :D)

 

Edit: I guess I can write some more.

 

I love the detail of the Takstars and I think for some music it sounds absolutely awesome. However something about the highs of the takstars just does not work for me, they have annoyed me from day one with and without equalization so some tracks bug me. I tried a grado SR-60 and I quite liked it so it isn't really about not liking harsh highs or anything, there just seems to be something specific about the Takstars. The three headphones I'm considering are the 681 EVO, 662F and the Pioneer SE-A1000 right now, any information would be really helpful, I think I've read pretty much every thread about any of these headphones.


Edited by robakri - 8/23/13 at 3:57am
post #115 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by robakri View Post

[...]

I'm considering are the 681 EVO, 662F and the Pioneer SE-A1000 right now, any information would be really helpful, I think I've read pretty much every thread about any of these headphones.

[...]

 

662F (F stands for "front row" not "flat"):

-> studio heaphone from the bright side, excellent for tracking, monitoring, mixing but also for listening (if you're not a "warm laid-back sound" nazi).

neutral, fast, good PrAT, bright (not harsh), very-very detailed, great bass texture, digs pretty deep, impactful and accurate, doesn't mess with the mids, vocals are very nice, intimate.

closed BUT soundstage is amazing, very airy, with great separation, clear

=> similar to Shure 940 or something

If you like the 701, the 662F is something like a closed version of it...

Seriously, a more notorious brand could sell those for $200 (don't get the regular 662, imo it's V shaped and fatiguing).

EVO  -> not as neutral, not as detailed but fun, way better soundstage (semi-open), warm, bass tilted with a nice rumble, overall very pleasing and solid sound

depending on the track, the bass can become a bit overwhelming though, sometimes even a tad boomy (mid bass), but not a deal breaker imo.

!!! you can mod very easily the EVO, the foam discs mod make the EVO less dark and, also, you can remove the entire foam disc, 1/2 of it, etc. for fine tuning)

 

IMO, the 662F is the better HP (if a rather bright sound doesn't give you spots... lol)

 

bottom line: very different cans, the EVO is excellent, the 662F is GREAT

-> thomann.de has a "return policy", they are very professional to deal with

-> order both and send one back


Edited by Hairspray - 8/23/13 at 12:08pm
post #116 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairspray View Post

 

662F (F stands for "front row" not "flat"):

-> studio heaphone from the bright side, excellent for tracking, monitoring, mixing but also for listening (if you're not a "warm laid-back sound" nazi).

neutral, fast, good PrAT, bright (not harsh), very-very detailed, great bass texture, digs pretty deep, impactful and accurate, doesn't mess with the mids, vocals are very nice, intimate.

closed BUT soundstage is amazing, very airy, with great separation, clear

=> similar to Shure 940 or something

If you like the 701, the 662F is something like a closed version of it...

Seriously, a more notorious brand could sell those for $200 (don't get the regular 662, imo it's V shaped and fatiguing).

EVO  -> not as neutral, not as detailed but fun, way better soundstage (semi-open), warm, bass tilted with a nice rumble, overall very pleasing and solid sound

depending on the track, the bass can become a bit overwhelming though, sometimes even a tad boomy (mid bass), but not a deal breaker imo.

!!! you can mod very easily the EVO, the foam discs mod make the EVO less dark and, also, you can remove the entire foam disc, 1/2 of it, etc. for fine tuning)

 

IMO, the 662F is the better HP (if a rather bright sound doesn't give you spots... lol)

 

bottom line: very different cans, the EVO is excellent, the 662F is GREAT

-> thomann.de has a "return policy", they are very professional to deal with

-> order both and send one back

Would you say that these compete with the a900x?

post #117 of 475

when i had the ad900x ( the open version) i tot the drivers sounded gritty...

EVO didnt bother me.

post #118 of 475

I have also 662F besides HD-681 (with mkII filter) and indeed 662F is very good headphone. If highs feel to harsh, then there`s a similiar filter mod you can make for it, littlebit different values than mkII filter, and then it sounds awesome imho (I`m using 662F with filter). Only negative side of 662F for me is that its bass doesn`t go so deep as HD-681 (thus might get boring with some music) but it`s tighter and littlebit punchier I guess. Though it`s a closed can, it`s with very airy, large and clear soundstage. Instrument separation is also great. If you are more into analytical and studio listening then go for 662F otherwise just for enjoying music without fatigue go for EVO or HD681 with filter. 

post #119 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

bass doesn`t go so deep as HD-681 (thus might get boring with some music) but it`s tighter and littlebit punchier I guess.
Totally agree with you CoiL. Bass is tighter and punchier with the 662F.
681's bass does go a lil deeper but 662F is overall cleaner in that department, and has a superb bass texture that the 681 doesn't have.
Rap lovers would probably prefer the EVO though.
Once again, EVO and 662F are really different headphones.
post #120 of 475
Btw CoiL, i agree with pretty much every aspect you describe in your comparison.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO