- 1,729 Posts. Joined 11/2013
- Location: USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- 4th Of July Discounts ALO audio Last post on 7/4/15 at 11:33am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- The all new Continental Dual Mono Last post on Today at 9:23 am in ALO Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
- Benefits of using a balanced amp and ALO international VS the Lightning ? Last post on 2/24/15 at 10:46am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for Astell & Kern Ak120ii Last post on 4/29/15 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ALO audio BLACK OUT sale on now Last post on 11/28/14 at 3:07pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
These headphones will let you know if your source is good or not. I won't repeat much of the pros and cons of this headphone that hasn't already been said. These are really comfortable for...
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
Intro:- I was really excited when SoundMAGIC announced a couple of new earphones with a new “Reference” line up, Led by E80, their flagship, and subordinate E50( like Bumblebee), what I...
Studio Six - A Reference Headphone Amp from ALO Audio - Now Available! - Page 6post #76 of 867/15/14 at 4:37pmJeez I'm jealous of that work space ! That is so much cool stuff u lucky dog. I'll have to try the LAu at some point I suppose. Gotta look up retailers and make travel plans though, sigh
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #77 of 867/15/14 at 8:46pmQuote:
well, you KNOW if ever you're in Northern Cali you're always welcome at the Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab!!
Yeah - spent the last two years trying all sorts of stuff - and I'm finally in a place where I'm SO psyched listening, A/Bing, reviewing.and all that every-day. And I'm grateful everyday too of course!
Won't take up the space here - but I'd love to tell you about my specific mission here (gonna write a column about it for The High Fidelity Report).
But, I will say this: As you know how much Hp's Place in Sea Cliff (former headquarters for The Absolute Sound for others here - and the home where all of Harry Pearson's listening rooms LIVED) - how much that home meant to me, as that was my job! Playing with all that gear... Anyway - he always had 3 rooms (a 4th upstairs, but that was multi-channel) and all 3 served different purposes - so I wanted to create the same environment, but for high end personal audio!
So that story's coming...
Had a WICKED listening sesh with the new LCD-3s and the Studio Six today - then switched back-n-forth with the LCD-X for this progress report for you good sir!!
It's FUN, and I'm happy to do this for ya! But I think, thus far, you've got the right idea in terms of the LCD-3 (w/ Fazor, and even my OG pair, which I had to keep, much to my wifes dismay - but I took on a job just to pay for things and not get a tongue-lashing ) - in terms of thee LCD-3s synergy with the Studio Six!! After all, hearing my own LCD-3s at Newport last year with the S6 was the experience that left me with no choice!
Though I was lucky enough that Ken said I could take the black one home!!
Anyway - off to do more listening, and I have to put the finishing touches on our McIntosh MHA100 DAC/amp review for 360!!
That was an amazing time and I was sad to see it go!!!! Going through all my notes and shaping it up...post #78 of 867/16/14 at 2:39pmpost #79 of 867/18/14 at 9:10am
Thanks @Silent One I really needed to hear that right now
Mr. @goldendarko - Here are my findings w/ regard to the Audeze LCD-3 w/ Fazor and LCD-X on the Studio Six, and what I prefer, and what I THINK you may dig as well (per our FB Messenger chats):
Now - I'm rockin' the following tubes and cables on my S6:
Tubes: NOS RCA 6SN7, TUNG SOL 6V6s, Raytheon OB2 gas regs, Mullard 5AR4
Cables: Nordost Heimdall 2 RCA interconnects, and power cord
Sources: MacBook Pro SSD w/ Amarra 3.0 (yeah, its DOPE) & VPI Traveler deck w/ Unison Research Simply tube phonostage
the digital lead is also Nordost Heimdall 2, and the turntable leads are Black Cat Cables
Amp mechanically grounded via Nordost Sort Kones - the McIntosh D100 DAC via Red Point (damn, forget the name of em, LOL)
SO: Using everything from Tori Amos' latest record, Unrepentant Geraldines to classic Radiohead, like The Bends and OK Computer, Hecq's latest remix comp, Conversions, and Eno & Hyde's High Life (reviewed HERE at Positive Feedback) I found the LCD-X to be far more excitable and dynamically charged across the board than the LCD-3 - most likely due to its far greater efficiency - but there's a reason I often call the LCD-X my favorite headphone for recreational and studio-monitoring: While my LCD-3 w/ Fazor is NO SLOUCH (as I'm sure you can testify to that as well) the LCD-X seems to have more immediacy when it comes to transient attack, as well as micro and macro-dynamic detail retrieval. This is why I prefer it in the studio - its lightning speed!!!! It's also got some gorgeous timbre when the recordings choc full of colorful sounds like Teeb's Estarac - and the X is as transparent as any headphone I've experienced. The mating with the Studio Six was sublime actually - and I thought I'd be saying that about the LCD-3!!! So I think that's my pick for you sir.
The LCD-3 w/ Fazor is also a wonderful pairing with the Studio Six, but a great deal more silky and textural - warm like a sweater - though without veiling or smearing anything. It's just got an overall more soothing playback then the X. If that's what you want, but I don't think that's what you're looking for based on our earlier messages.
So, I say - GO FOR THE LCD-X! I can't imagine you getting sick of that wicked sound anytime SOON!!post #80 of 865/22/15 at 10:09pmAny updates to report on this amp?
I am looking for my endgame amp. I would pair it up with my Line Magnetic LM502CA dac and HD-800. And if I go for another HP too, which has greatest synergy With this amp?
Thanks.post #81 of 865/22/15 at 10:17pmWhat kind of updates are you looking for? Don't think they've changed anything about it and there are plenty of reviews out there - it's pretty much a known quantity at this point.
That being said I am also, and have been for a while, on the fence about this amp. Like you im also looking for an endgame amp too, though I've also been looking at the LAu as well though I would prefer a reference tube amp.post #82 of 865/23/15 at 2:20am
No particular updates. I am just starting to read the reviews of this amp so I have a long way to go. But since Mike has done such a great review here and he is so helpful, I thought I see if he has had a chance to listen to it with the HD-800 some more. The other thing that got me interested was its synergy with the LCD-XC. I never thought I like the LCD sound, (although I believe the XC is a little different from their usual house sound?) but I tried it the other day with the Questyle CMA800i and I liked it in the short time that I head them. So that got me into thinking about a second primary headphone.
The other amp that I was considering is the Bryston BHA1, the Schitt Ragnarok, and stretching it quite a bit more would be the McIntosh MHA100. I like everything that I am hearing in this thread about this amp though.
But like you, I was originally leaning towards a tube amp as well but I don't know where to start. And I am living in Hong Kong now so shipping a big honking tube amp or any amp from non-Asia to here would make it too expensive for my budget. So if I can buy it locally that would be ideal.post #83 of 865/23/15 at 3:02amI owned the Ragnarok and believe it's an incredible amp for the price. Especially considering the fact it drives speakers too. Obviously I can't compare it with the studio six as I haven't heard it yet but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on it. Right now I'm just trying to find out what the deal is with the $200 upgrade Teflon foil capacitors and whether the are worth the extra dough. They don't seem to say anything about them on their sitepost #84 of 865/23/15 at 3:22am
I'm not entirely sure there would be a lot of difference between the Ragnarok and the Studio Six. The Studio Six isn't "tubey" sounding. If anything, the solid-state Aurorasound HEADA sounded more "tubey". You could probably find some more "warm" sounding tubes for it though, eg: Put all RCA/Sylvanias in it. I grabbed a pair of Brimar 6V6s off of eBay out of curiosity to see how they go in changing the sound.post #85 of 865/30/15 at 7:11pmQuote:
May I ask why you sold your Ragnarok? The Six definitely has a lot of power compared to the Questyle. I didn't have to turn up the Six much to power up the HD-800 like I did on the Questyle. And the volume control on the Six is very nice.post #86 of 865/30/15 at 8:36pmQuote:
Just wanted to try a tube amp next is all, nothing wrong with it, in fact I think it was an excellent amp for the price, especially considering it drove my speakers. But, I have been eyeballing the Studio Six for a while and I really can't justify having two huge amps to my wife, so one of them has to go if I get a new one.
- Studio Six - A Reference Headphone Amp from ALO Audio - Now Available!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 19 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 30 seconds ago
- › Yamaha MT 220 51 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic T51p Discussion Thread 55 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Amarra - anyone using it? 6 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by snellemin
- › Don Scorpio sMushroom HD Bluetooth iem by Baycode
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)