- 1,263 Posts. Joined 11/2013
- Location: USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Benefits of using a balanced amp and ALO international VS the Lightning ? Last post on 2/24/15 at 10:46am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for Astell & Kern Ak120ii Last post on 2/8/15 at 11:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ALO audio BLACK OUT sale on now Last post on 11/28/14 at 3:07pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Various cables Last post on 2/3/15 at 3:55pm in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- SOLD: ALO Audio Copper 22 Balanced to Balanced Cable - Payment After Delivery - Condition Like... Last post on 9/11/14 at 10:37am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
These are also known as the monoprice 8323's. I have these for nearly 2 years. I bought them a few months after my faithfull 8323's. Pros - for the price they deliver the highest quality...
Let me start this review with some information about the company that made these headphones, Philips. The company that invented the CD, the first radio etc. As a Dutch guy, I'm very connected with...
I'll start off by saying I am by no means an audiophile, just a kid with some money and a passion for music. These headphones, as far as I can tell, have more prominent mids than most...
Let me just say one thing up front: if you have any complaints about the speed or the bass extension of these headphones, you need a better headphone amp. /endofdiscussion The HD600s will take the...
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bass tilt. Highs and lows are well extended. Sound stage is large for an iem. The bass has some impact without being boomy. The treble is clear without...
Studio Six - A Reference Headphone Amp from ALO Audio - Now Available! - Page 6post #76 of 797/15/14 at 4:37pmJeez I'm jealous of that work space ! That is so much cool stuff u lucky dog. I'll have to try the LAu at some point I suppose. Gotta look up retailers and make travel plans though, sigh
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #77 of 797/15/14 at 8:46pmQuote:
well, you KNOW if ever you're in Northern Cali you're always welcome at the Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab!!
Yeah - spent the last two years trying all sorts of stuff - and I'm finally in a place where I'm SO psyched listening, A/Bing, reviewing.and all that every-day. And I'm grateful everyday too of course!
Won't take up the space here - but I'd love to tell you about my specific mission here (gonna write a column about it for The High Fidelity Report).
But, I will say this: As you know how much Hp's Place in Sea Cliff (former headquarters for The Absolute Sound for others here - and the home where all of Harry Pearson's listening rooms LIVED) - how much that home meant to me, as that was my job! Playing with all that gear... Anyway - he always had 3 rooms (a 4th upstairs, but that was multi-channel) and all 3 served different purposes - so I wanted to create the same environment, but for high end personal audio!
So that story's coming...
Had a WICKED listening sesh with the new LCD-3s and the Studio Six today - then switched back-n-forth with the LCD-X for this progress report for you good sir!!
It's FUN, and I'm happy to do this for ya! But I think, thus far, you've got the right idea in terms of the LCD-3 (w/ Fazor, and even my OG pair, which I had to keep, much to my wifes dismay - but I took on a job just to pay for things and not get a tongue-lashing ) - in terms of thee LCD-3s synergy with the Studio Six!! After all, hearing my own LCD-3s at Newport last year with the S6 was the experience that left me with no choice!
Though I was lucky enough that Ken said I could take the black one home!!
Anyway - off to do more listening, and I have to put the finishing touches on our McIntosh MHA100 DAC/amp review for 360!!
That was an amazing time and I was sad to see it go!!!! Going through all my notes and shaping it up...post #78 of 797/16/14 at 2:39pmpost #79 of 797/18/14 at 9:10am
Thanks @Silent One I really needed to hear that right now
Mr. @goldendarko - Here are my findings w/ regard to the Audeze LCD-3 w/ Fazor and LCD-X on the Studio Six, and what I prefer, and what I THINK you may dig as well (per our FB Messenger chats):
Now - I'm rockin' the following tubes and cables on my S6:
Tubes: NOS RCA 6SN7, TUNG SOL 6V6s, Raytheon OB2 gas regs, Mullard 5AR4
Cables: Nordost Heimdall 2 RCA interconnects, and power cord
Sources: MacBook Pro SSD w/ Amarra 3.0 (yeah, its DOPE) & VPI Traveler deck w/ Unison Research Simply tube phonostage
the digital lead is also Nordost Heimdall 2, and the turntable leads are Black Cat Cables
Amp mechanically grounded via Nordost Sort Kones - the McIntosh D100 DAC via Red Point (damn, forget the name of em, LOL)
SO: Using everything from Tori Amos' latest record, Unrepentant Geraldines to classic Radiohead, like The Bends and OK Computer, Hecq's latest remix comp, Conversions, and Eno & Hyde's High Life (reviewed HERE at Positive Feedback) I found the LCD-X to be far more excitable and dynamically charged across the board than the LCD-3 - most likely due to its far greater efficiency - but there's a reason I often call the LCD-X my favorite headphone for recreational and studio-monitoring: While my LCD-3 w/ Fazor is NO SLOUCH (as I'm sure you can testify to that as well) the LCD-X seems to have more immediacy when it comes to transient attack, as well as micro and macro-dynamic detail retrieval. This is why I prefer it in the studio - its lightning speed!!!! It's also got some gorgeous timbre when the recordings choc full of colorful sounds like Teeb's Estarac - and the X is as transparent as any headphone I've experienced. The mating with the Studio Six was sublime actually - and I thought I'd be saying that about the LCD-3!!! So I think that's my pick for you sir.
The LCD-3 w/ Fazor is also a wonderful pairing with the Studio Six, but a great deal more silky and textural - warm like a sweater - though without veiling or smearing anything. It's just got an overall more soothing playback then the X. If that's what you want, but I don't think that's what you're looking for based on our earlier messages.
So, I say - GO FOR THE LCD-X! I can't imagine you getting sick of that wicked sound anytime SOON!!
- Studio Six - A Reference Headphone Amp from ALO Audio - Now Available!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 1 minute ago
- › Why is the Beyer DT990 pro so much cheaper than the DT880 pro? 1 minute ago
- › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Proof that everyone has a different perception of cables 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Leonard Nimoy aka Spock has passed 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3