Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Intro and looking for new cans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intro and looking for new cans

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hello! I'm fairly long time "Audiophile". I might not keep up on everything in the audiophile world but I know and care about good sound. I've always been a fan of open headphones and use a pair of Sennheiser G4ME 360's on a regular basis on playing games on my computer at home. For more accurate music i'll turn my headphones down and turn on my Mackie MR8mK2 Studio Monitors running off of a Traktor Komplete Audio 6. If I'm really in the mood I'll get out my vinyl on my Pro-Ject Debut III. In the car I have a 900w system running set of Focal K2's, and in the living room I run a Klipsch reference series. Just to give you a glimpse of what my tastes are.

 

Currently I'm looking for a great headphone that will produced great sound in a closed headphone. I'll be using these for travel but I'm not worried about bulkiness at all, I rather have better sound quality then something slim. I will not consider ear buds at all. I would vary much like something around the ear and noise isolating. The price point I'm trying to stay below is $400.

 

After researching for a few hours I've come to like these choices:

 

V-Moda Crossfade M-100

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Sennheiser Momentum

 

Any opinions would be helpful!

post #2 of 13

M100's: Bass heavy headphones, slightly recessed mids, very portable, extremely durable. You can also customize the plates to your own liking. If you're into electronic,techno,trance,dubstep, etc.. those are perfect for you.

 

Custom One Pro's: Fun and customizable sound, you can adjust how much bass you want, really comfy, big soundstage for a closed can. Like the M100's, also slightly recessed mids. Also customizable, you can change the headband, plates, and even the cable to make it a gaming headphone.

 

Momentum: Top notch sound quality, tight bass, very nice mids, smooth highs, detailed. If you have a huge ears, those might not be for you. Has the best sound quality of the three. Also looks the sexiest (in my opinion). Cant fold up like M100s nor can it be customized like the COP's.

 

There's also the Sony MDR-1R, i sugest you take a look at this headphone as well. 

 

It all comes down to what you're looking for or what sound signature you prefer. However, if i were you, I'd get the Momentums.

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

Putting the M100's and Custom One Pro's head to head would you say that the COP's are more or less detailed in sound.

 

Between the COP's and Momentum, do those two compare well? Last time I tried on Beyer's they were vary soft in their mids and the bass sounded liveless and they didn't handle complicated music well. Basically they sounded like an oil painting of music.

 

As far as the Sony's go, I haven't trusted Sony with a sound product since the PS3 but I've read a lot of problems with their connectors. I've also heard that the highs and lows weren't as detailed or punchy. Also 'smooth' isn't a word I tend to like to hear when describing music sound. To me 'smooth' co-insides with 'warm' which is a sound I love for a theater experience but not a music listening experience.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawz2142 View Post

Putting the M100's and Custom One Pro's head to head would you say that the COP's are more or less detailed in sound.

 

Between the COP's and Momentum, do those two compare well? Last time I tried on Beyer's they were vary soft in their mids and the bass sounded liveless and they didn't handle complicated music well. Basically they sounded like an oil painting of music.

 

As far as the Sony's go, I haven't trusted Sony with a sound product since the PS3 but I've read a lot of problems with their connectors. I've also heard that the highs and lows weren't as detailed or punchy. Also 'smooth' isn't a word I tend to like to hear when describing music sound. To me 'smooth' co-insides with 'warm' which is a sound I love for a theater experience but not a music listening experience.

The M100's have a slightly more detailed sound.

 

COP's and Momentums? I'd say Momentums. They're more detailed (more than the M100's) and are more neutral, with better overall clarity. The COPs are detailed, but don't throw detail at you. They are more of a 'fun' headphone. 

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

The M100's have a slightly more detailed sound.

 

COP's and Momentums? I'd say Momentums. They're more detailed (more than the M100's) and are more neutral, with better overall clarity. The COPs are detailed, but don't throw detail at you. They are more of a 'fun' headphone. 

Between the M100's and the Momentums. Even though they different type of sound, it sounds like they have a lot in common. I'm going to go to a local Best Buy and see if I can listen to the Momentums. I know they have them in stock but not sure if I could test them there. Is there anything in particular that would separate the Momentums and the M-100 that I should listen for?

post #6 of 13

The momentum is generally more warmer sounding and its more flat sounding compared to the M100's. The highs are rolled off to make an unfatiguing listening experience. They won't be as fun or engaging as the M100's, but they do some genres better than the M100's.

 

If you listen to jazz, acoustic, classical music, rock, and metal, go with the Momentums.

 

If you listen to Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Hip-Hop, Techno, Trance, or any other bass-heavy genre, dont even think about the momentums, the M100s are much better for these genres.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks xkonfuzed. If anyone else would like to chime in, it would be appreciated. 

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

The momentum is generally more warmer sounding and its more flat sounding compared to the M100's. The highs are rolled off to make an unfatiguing listening experience. They won't be as fun or engaging as the M100's, but they do some genres better than the M100's.

 

If you listen to jazz, acoustic, classical music, rock, and metal, go with the Momentums.

 

If you listen to Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Hip-Hop, Techno, Trance, or any other bass-heavy genre, dont even think about the momentums, the M100s are much better for these genres.

Well I went to Best Buy and sure enough they had the Momentums on display so i plugged in and had a listen. I also tried out the AKG K550 and was pleasantly surprised. I liked the K550 quite abit more than the Momentums. Do you have any comparison between the the M100, K550, and perhaps the AKG Q701

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawz2142 View Post

Well I went to Best Buy and sure enough they had the Momentums on display so i plugged in and had a listen. I also tried out the AKG K550 and was pleasantly surprised. I liked the K550 quite abit more than the Momentums. Do you have any comparison between the the M100, K550, and perhaps the AKG Q701

Hmm. Well i haven't tried the K550's but i owned the Q701 previously and i sold them. The Q701 is a love or hate headphone, i hated them. They had a big soundstage, nice detail, but thats about it. I found them very lacking in the low end (very bass light), and mids were very coloured which personally i didn't like. Female vocals sounded weird and unnatural. Vocals sounded very distant because of the fake soundstage and i ended up returning them. I think it was because of the famous synergy problem, if you match them with the wrong amp (i used them with an E17), they will be very thin sounding and will have almost zero bass. Its not fair to compared them to the M100, since one is a portable closed back and the other is an open back. However, the Q701 are much more detailed and have a wider sound and require amplification. 

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawz2142 View Post

Well I went to Best Buy and sure enough they had the Momentums on display so i plugged in and had a listen. I also tried out the AKG K550 and was pleasantly surprised. I liked the K550 quite abit more than the Momentums. Do you have any comparison between the the M100, K550, and perhaps the AKG Q701


id say go with the 550 then, its what YOU like but IMO I thought the K550's were bass lite and had a sort of tinny sounding treble, and the ear cups were weird fit wish, I preffered the Momentums but would enjoy a little more energy in the highs but its not enough to stop me from buying them.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post


id say go with the 550 then, its what YOU like but IMO I thought the K550's were bass lite and had a sort of tinny sounding treble, and the ear cups were weird fit wish, I preffered the Momentums but would enjoy a little more energy in the highs but its not enough to stop me from buying them.

I agree with this, but I think both the Momentum and the K550 have a weird-ish fit with ears.  I strongly suspect someone's preference for one of the two (and their perception in sound quality) is directly related to how their ears fit with either headphone.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

I agree with this, but I think both the Momentum and the K550 have a weird-ish fit with ears.  I strongly suspect someone's preference for one of the two (and their perception in sound quality) is directly related to how their ears fit with either headphone.


Agreed K550's have big earcups but I think the headband is for bigger head's? So smaller head's they don't seal or something, and the pads are soft but don't compress much so if there not flat they wont seal. The momentums just have small cups but I thought the leather and foam was so soft it didn't madder.

post #13 of 13
I will have to agree with tomB regarding different perception of the sound on the momentum from people with different ears. The last few weeks I've used the Momentums as my main "on the go" cans, but I can't get my self to enjoy them. They do everything "good", no major flaws, but to my ears nothing is great. The soundstage to me is narrow and a bit congested, I find my self thinking about other things, and not listening to the music, when I'm wearing them. Maybe it's just my ears(I'm just able to wear the cans "over ear", but its a very snug fit), and maybe its preference, but mine are out for sale :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Intro and looking for new cans