Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Soul SL49, Soul SL99 or Sol Republic Amps HD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soul SL49, Soul SL99 or Sol Republic Amps HD?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hey guys!! New guy here! May I have some recommendations on whether to get the Soul SL49, Soul SL99 or Sol Republic Amps HD? Or does anyone have any $100 in-ears to recommend? I personally prefer clarity over bass, but are there products out there that provide above average bass with good clarity?
post #2 of 14

If you're looking for clarity over bass, the in-ears you listed are not for that. Don't get near any product that belongs to brands like these, the sound is basically bass cranked up and etched trebles, the midrange is non-existing. I recommend the Shure SE215. They have nice, tight bass with very nice mids and forgiving highs. You can find them for as low as 75 bucks on amazon if you look well. 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372207897&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+se215

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

If you're looking for clarity over bass, the in-ears you listed are not for that. Don't get near any product that belongs to brands like these, the sound is basically bass cranked up and etched trebles, the midrange is non-existing. I recommend the Shure SE215. They have nice, tight bass with very nice mids and forgiving highs. You can find them for as low as 75 bucks on amazon if you look well. 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372207897&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+se215

Hey there thanks for the reply! Does frequency response tell us anything about a earphone? The shure se215 has a range of 22-17.5k.
post #4 of 14

A frequency range only tells you theoretical minimum and maximum, it doesn't even tell you how that response is. Also, our hearing range is from 20hz-20khz, and most portable players and pc soundcards aren't even capable of reproducing those ranges.

 

Its a common misconception that the wider the frequency response the better the headphones will sound. Unfortunately, this is a long way from the truth. Don't ever choose a headphone based on its frequency response. 

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

A frequency range only tells you theoretical minimum and maximum, it doesn't even tell you how that response is. Also, our hearing range is from 20hz-20khz, and most portable players and pc soundcards aren't even capable of reproducing those ranges.

Its a common misconception that the wider the frequency response the better the headphones will sound. Unfortunately, this is a long way from the truth. Don't ever choose a headphone based on its frequency response. 
Ah, i got it haha thanks for the info man! However, the amps HD seems to have very good reviews for clarity, should i consider them?
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhuMaster View Post


Ah, i got it haha thanks for the info man! However, the amps HD seems to have very good reviews for clarity, should i consider them?

Personally, i haven't listened to the amps HD, but i did have the tracks HD, decent but not worth the money. 

Although it is really hard to beat the Shure's at that price range, i recommend taking a listen to both and judging on your own, because in the end, we all have different ears :)

 

Good luck.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

Personally, i haven't listened to the amps HD, but i did have the tracks HD, decent but not worth the money. 
Although it is really hard to beat the Shure's at that price range, i recommend taking a listen to both and judging on your own, because in the end, we all have different ears smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck.
Sure thing. Thanks!
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhuMaster View Post


Sure thing. Thanks!

No problem, and be sure to post your impressions/review when you get either in-ears :) !

post #9 of 14
I have the soul sl99. I've had them since Christmas. They are okay earphones but there's a couple things that break it.
The first is the fit. They have huge drivers that stick out of your ears and it's hard to find a tip that is comfortable. Also the cord is stiff stiff stiff. I live in the Midwest so I've had it through hot and cold temperatures and in both it's so stiff it falls out my ears. Although I thread my headphones through my shirt, if you don't they stay in way better.
My friends say the sound quality is good and I won't disagree with that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

No problem, and be sure to post your impressions/review when you get either in-ears smily_headphones1.gif !
Sure thing!
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Supremacy View Post

I have the soul sl99. I've had them since Christmas. They are okay earphones but there's a couple things that break it.
The first is the fit. They have huge drivers that stick out of your ears and it's hard to find a tip that is comfortable. Also the cord is stiff stiff stiff. I live in the Midwest so I've had it through hot and cold temperatures and in both it's so stiff it falls out my ears. Although I thread my headphones through my shirt, if you don't they stay in way better.
My friends say the sound quality is good and I won't disagree with that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Hi there!! So the main issue with the sl99 is the size of it?? Is it heavy??
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhuMaster View Post

Hi there!! So the main issue with the sl99 is the size of it?? Is it heavy??
No size is the only issue. They are extremely light excluding the cable,which is more flat and thick like the beats models.Although I believe it does add some durability...
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhuMaster View Post

Hi there!! So the main issue with the sl99 is the size of it?? Is it heavy??
No size is the only issue. They are extremely light excluding the cable,which is more flat and thick like the beats models.Although I believe it does add some durability...
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Supremacy View Post

No size is the only issue. They are extremely light excluding the cable,which is more flat and thick like the beats models.Although I believe it does add some durability...
Ah ok thanks alot!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Soul SL49, Soul SL99 or Sol Republic Amps HD?