I've had a pair of Shure SE115 for several years now, and I no longer find the sound satisfying ever since I got the HD598. I'm a big fan of the sound stage, instrument separation, and general detail of the HD598, which the SE115 lacks in every way. I realize it's hard for an IEM to compete with an open over-the-ear in terms of sound stage, but what's the minimum I need to invest to get similar sound quality? I listen mostly to jazz, classical, and a little bit of everything except hip-hop/r&b/rap. I prefer a more neutral sound signature; something not too bass-heavy. My budget is around $400. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 6/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair? Last post on 9/23/14 at 1:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Some upgrade advice would be appreciated Last post on 9/15/14 at 8:23am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Multipurpose under 200$ Last post on 9/16/14 at 7:59pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help choosing my first "decent" over ear headphones? Last post on 9/15/14 at 1:59pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can't decided between the Fidelio X1, HD598, or HD600 Last post on 9/11/14 at 12:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Best IEM companion to the Sennheiser HD598?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The hifiman re272 is an excellent earphone, however it has some minor build quality issues. The re600 may be a better option if the company has fixed these issues.
If I recall correctly, the UM3X is warmer sounding and has a more lush mid-range, which is likely why the 4R wasn't suggested. However, really these are only recommendations... when spending this much on a pair of earphones, you should really go to a store and try them out. I'm sure that there must be some sort of audiophile driven store near you.
- Best IEM companion to the Sennheiser HD598?
- › The Stax Thread III 4 seconds ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 16 seconds ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page FW download & general... 2 minutes ago
- › New April Music Stello HP100 MKII 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 7 minutes ago
- › I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 7 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)