I've had a pair of Shure SE115 for several years now, and I no longer find the sound satisfying ever since I got the HD598. I'm a big fan of the sound stage, instrument separation, and general detail of the HD598, which the SE115 lacks in every way. I realize it's hard for an IEM to compete with an open over-the-ear in terms of sound stage, but what's the minimum I need to invest to get similar sound quality? I listen mostly to jazz, classical, and a little bit of everything except hip-hop/r&b/rap. I prefer a more neutral sound signature; something not too bass-heavy. My budget is around $400. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 6/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair? Last post on Today at 5:44 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Some upgrade advice would be appreciated Last post on 9/15/14 at 8:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone Multipurpose under 200$ Last post on 9/16/14 at 7:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help choosing my first "decent" over ear headphones? Last post on 9/15/14 at 1:59pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can't decided between the Fidelio X1, HD598, or HD600 Last post on 9/11/14 at 12:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Best IEM companion to the Sennheiser HD598?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The hifiman re272 is an excellent earphone, however it has some minor build quality issues. The re600 may be a better option if the company has fixed these issues.
If I recall correctly, the UM3X is warmer sounding and has a more lush mid-range, which is likely why the 4R wasn't suggested. However, really these are only recommendations... when spending this much on a pair of earphones, you should really go to a store and try them out. I'm sure that there must be some sort of audiophile driven store near you.
- Best IEM companion to the Sennheiser HD598?
- › ARTT ADEA-I DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 5 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 Impressions! PICS! EVERYTHING! 6 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 7 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 9 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)